Cobra derringers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap

I bought one in .38. BIG problem with actually getting rounds to fire. After less than 20 rounds I was getting a lot of no-fires, even though the primers were struck fairly well (based on the size of the dimple). 2nd or 3rd strikes sometimes set them off, but not always. Turned out that the toy was super super sensitive to the actual position of the safety; if you didn't push it all the way in just before you fired it, it often would not set off the cartridge. I guess it was dragging just enough on the firing pin to slow it down. Had a loud argument with the store, but finally got them to return my money.

I have a Davis derringer, which I think is the same as a Cobra. Its a 38 and extremely reliable. When I feel the need to carry this is the one I choose. Its light and accurate enough at the intended range. If the trouble is further away, then I have time enough to leave and avoid it altogether. Trigger is atrocious but this is basically a 'get offa me' gun. Always fires both barrels for me. perhaps the Cobra isnt built as well as the Davis, I can only guess about that.

In my experience they were cast of Crap-a-lon, which is the scum off the top of a furnace full of Unobtainium alloyed with die-cast.:D

I had the 45APC version. It's good it would not fire on the lower barrel because the top one had a lot of kick. I don't know if I could handle two shots from this little gun so I got rid of this POS.

I have a Davis in .32 acp. I have put maybe 100 rounds through it. It goes bang. The top barrel shoots a bit right, the bottom barrel shoots a lot left.

You've heard of belly guns; accurate only if you stick it in your opponent's belly before you fire? This one is a nose gun; stick it in their nose and it will either blow their brains out or clean out their sinuses.:p

I don't know what happened to the company, but since they changed their name they've become more suspect. not that the guns were high quality to begin with, but.... I had a Davis P32 semi-auto that never missed a beat, and a Davis D32 derringer that fired every time. now that Cobra has attached its name, it seems more likely than not you will get a lemon.

I figured I'd dig this back up to let those interested know that Cobra actually shipped half of the outstanding order noted previously:
And Cobra shorted me one barrel and a firing pin conversion on my order - an issue that has STILL not been remedied, over a year later.
While the firing pin conversion is still unaccounted for, I did receive the barrel today.

And it's a hunk of crap.
It does appear to be new.
It is in a sealed plastic bag.

But...
The plating (chrome version) is flaking in several areas.
There is a lot of the copper base layer showing.
The bore is severely oxidized.
The extractor is misaligned and requires modification before cartridges will chamber.
There are two deep gouges on the left side of the barrel.
And it appears to have been used as a hammer, or possibly a man-to-man missile in the shop. - Both the bottom and the sides of the muzzle have substantial dents that look like they came from multiple impacts with a concrete surface.

So, while they did finally ship part of the outstanding order...
It took them 19(?) months to do so, and the part that I received was even lower quality than the piece of crap derringer it was intended to augment (which was sold quite some time ago...). :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back