Cobra derringers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir_n0thing

Looking for first hand experiences with these little guys. Good, bad or ugly!
No hearsay please, personal experience only [emoji6]
I'm interested in a novelty toy, nothing serious. Not going to be used for SD or anything. .22 mag, .25acp, .32acp and .38spl are most interesting to me.
I have seen good and bad reports around the interwebz on Cobra.

Cobra, Davis... same church different pew.

I can't speak for them all, but I bought a .22lr version for my ex-wife. It broke the first time we took it out. :mad:

Not good.

I have a .32 acp model. The locking latch becomes loose very easily on these, and fixing it permanently is almost impossible because of the zinc construction.
The LR, .25, and .32 guns are very small-but heavy.
The 38 Spl models are much larger.

I bought a .22lr cobra derringer for fun. It is fun, but the trigger press is horrid (very tough to pull the trigger), and as stated already, the screws come loose so you need a little flathead screw driver to tighten it every now and then.

Also, typically the brass gets stuck in the barrels after being fired (not sure if the larger calibers have this problem). The .22s expand and require a rod (chopstick or bbq skewer or something should work) to push thru the barrel to knock them out.

Definitely short range little guns (obviously) but still pretty fun to shoot. Barely any sights, tho you could paint some on if you wanted. It's also one handed; you can't pull the trigger hard enough with a two handed grip. Plus it's so small 2 hands barely would fit, haha.

All in all, if you want a fun little toy, it fits the bill. I got mine in .22lr because I read the 38special hurt from the kick. .22lr is fine.

Have fun!

Lee

I have one in 38 Spcl. Bought it just for plinking fun, and it does an excellent job in that capacity. They are not highly crafted firearms, they are what they are. Low cost, guns best suited for informal shooting. The trigger is not only very heavy, but requires an odd back, and up motion. Pulling it straight back is like trying to pull on a metal ring held tightly in a vise. Just won't move!
Like all guns using ZAMAK frames, or slides, some people, who obviously have never ownd one, will call them junk. I do own one, and I think it's worth the hundred bucks and change I paid for it.
If you want a Derringer design in a higher quality gun, try the Bond Arms models for twice the bulk, and four times the price.

I can see how it might be fin on the range. this being the case, stick to the .22 or .22WMR versions. My .38 was no fun to shoot at all.

I'm interested in a novelty toy, nothing serious. Not going to be used for SD or anything.

Then the Cobra is what your looking for. Like Cheapshooter said, they are worth the price that you pay for them. The .38 Spcl certainly lets you know your alive in these guns.
As for me, I am probably going to pick up a .22mag, maybe .32acp.

Actually, I enjoy shooting the 38 Spcl. Cobra. Standard velocity, 158 gr lead RN. Yes, it lets you know it's there, but that's part of the fun. Plus, I reload, and also cast my own bullets. That kerps the cost of shooting in the rimfire range, and I have a mold for 121gr RN that I can load way down to a very mild plinking round.
Thought of maybe trying a black powder load sometime as well. Adding a little smoke, and smell can only improve the experiance.:D

Last edited:
My dealer got 6 in a shipment . sold all all returned wouldn't fire Couple any barrels rest just 1 barrel . Their not worth the money

My dealer got 6 in a shipment . sold all all returned wouldn't fire Couple any barrels rest just 1 barrel . Their not worth the money
Now, for the rest of the story.
Cobra firearms come with a factory direct lifetime warranty. The warranty covers all owners of the firearm. If, at anytime you experience difficulties with your firearm you may send it to the factory for repair or service. All warranty claims should include the model, serial number and owners information in the packaging of the firearm being sent for service
http://www.cobrapistols.net/owners-warranty.asp
Six out of six is pretty hard to believe unless they had some sort of bad run. But they will make it good, and if the dealer was worth doing business he would have arranged the shipping for tye customers. Also thinking the company themselves would take care of a shipment for a problem like that with all the firearms the dealer got having problems.

I have owned three of recent production, and three extra barrels. They're crap, even as a novelty.

Two ('big bore' models) fired maybe 30% of the time, sometimes even less frequently in one chamber.
The .380 barrel (and original) was incredibly difficult to extract cartridges from, and nearly impossible to remove fired cases from, without removing the extractor from the assembly.

The third (standard model) is about 80% reliable with .22 LR, but with .22 WMR it'll only fire about 10% of the time.
I still own it. ...But I wouldn't buy another one, even for $50.
The only reason I still own this one is because I fixed the hammer and trigger. Out of the box, the hammer wouldn't lock back on one chamber (flashing interfering with the ratchet), and the trigger didn't always reset. :rolleyes:

All extra barrels were even less reliable than the originals.
And Cobra shorted me one barrel and a firing pin conversion on my order - an issue that has STILL not been remedied, over a year later.

ALL frame/barrel combinations resulted in substantial peening of the chambers or piercing of primers. It was/is caused by poor alignment of the firing pins, as well as excessive firing pin length (which still doesn't help with light strikes).
The peening meant that extraction of rimfire cartridges started as difficult and progressed to impossible. I repaired the .22 LR and .22 WMR barrels with chamber irons twice each, and the cycle repeated.

But, most of all....
Cobra firearms come with a factory direct lifetime warranty. The warranty covers all owners of the firearm. If, at anytime you experience difficulties with your firearm you may send it to the factory for repair or service. All warranty claims should include the model, serial number and owners information in the packaging of the firearm being sent for service
http://www.cobrapistols.net/owners-warranty.asp
Six out of six is pretty hard to believe unless they had some sort of bad run. But they will make it good, and if the dealer was worth doing business he would have arranged the shipping for tye customers. Also thinking the company themselves would take care of a shipment for a problem like that with all the firearms the dealer got having problems.
...Cobra's guarantee and warranty are an absolute joke.

In nearly two years of trying to get them to answer the phone, I have only had someone pick up twice. ...Which is maybe 5%.
They NEVER return phone calls if you leave a message.

And IF you can get them to answer the phone, they'll "transfer you to a 'technical expert'" ... which just drops the call.

They do not respond to emails, ever.

If you do some searching on the internet, you'll find dozens and dozens of people that sent handguns in for repair, only to end up waiting 5 months, 9 months, or ever 12+ months before they saw it again (if they ever saw the handgun again). And they come back just as bad as they went in.

And when I contacted the Salt Lake City police department last year, to file report, they pretty much told they didn't want to waste their time.

I even have two former (recent) employees of Cobra within my extended in-law network, and one of them provided me with an unpublished phone number for the office.
I got the same crap: "Oh, you have problems? Well, you called the wrong number. Let me transfer you to a 'technical expert'.... [click -- beep --- click --- dial tone]....." ...before I could say another word.

So, where I'm at with Cobra:
Stay away.
Crap guns.
Even worse service.
They owe me money or parts.
And even their employees think they're a sleazy, scheming, cheating, disgusting company.

Last edited:
Wonder why I and others have been so "lucky" as to get Cobra Derringers tyat work perfectly, right out of the box, have held up through a thousand rounds or so, and are really fun rang toys. The same can be said for my various Hi-Points, and a Walther P22. Don't understand how I can be so lucky with these "junk" guns, yet couldn't win the Powerball?:D:D:D

My 9mm fired about a half a box of ammo before one of the barrels quit firing.

Had a 22 with a extra 22mag barrel that fired all the time but you couldn't hit nothing with it.

Wonder why I and others have been so "lucky" as to get Cobra Derringers tyat work perfectly, right out of the box, have held up through a thousand rounds or so, and are really fun rang toys. The same can be said for my various Hi-Points, and a Walther P22. Don't understand how I can be so lucky with these "junk" guns, yet couldn't win the Powerball?
Just because you "won" doesn't mean that others can't lose.
:rolleyes:

It could also be that your expectations are far lower, and/or that you really aren't being honest with yourself (and, as a byproduct, with others).

Just as an aside, there are videos out there on how to fix the non-firing issue that seems to be pretty common with them. Not that I'm saying it's right to have to fix it yourself... But it is possible.
If I can find a nice little derringer from another manufacturer, I'd pay more for the better quality. The Bond Arms pieces are too big and bulky... I really want a classic style little toy. I just have a fondness for the riverboat gambler style that they represent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back