Cobra 38 deringer

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Derringer - I read in a gun book about women and guns (forget which one) that they were sued by a police officer for some malfunction. They could not afford the settlement or defense and folded. Whether this is true - I have no idea. However, I used to see the owner at gun shows and new guns - I haven't seen her or them in years.

Glenn, they haven't responded to email in a while so I fear you are correct. I suppose the site is hosted abandonware waiting for the bill to run out.

Does anyone live near Texas?

I tried google searches and I keep finding threads like this one wondering if they are still around.

Back on topic, is a Bond Arms that much nicer than a Cobra? I see the Cobra Titan which is a watered down Bond Arms.

And slightly off topic I went to a gun show and saw so many 380 "derringers" that you'd be spoiled for choice. The Ruger LCP caught my eye but I liked the flip out barrel on one that I think was Berretta.

Cobra derringers are made of ZAMAK, not zinc. Although zinc is one componet of the alloy, ZAMAK is an alloy with superior strength, and durability to zinc. Very well shown in the several "High Point torture test" youtube videos that showed that gun, with a ZAMAK slide, nearly indestructible.:D
Cobra derringers are what they are. Cheap little fun guns. As for SD, or CCW, there are more negatives than the metal their frames are made from that make them less than a good choice.
While some real guns are made from steel, other very real guns are made from aluminum alloy, polymer, and yes, ZAMAK!

If absolutely, positively have to have a derringer, then consider looking around for lightly used Hi-Standard in .22 mag.

Zamak is a zinc alloy. It's what Mattel "Fanner 50" cap guns were made out of.
Zamak is what all the cheap "Ring of Fire" guns are made from, because it casts so easily. Zamak is a brittle and weak metal. It holds up well-until it breaks.
I own a Cobra derringer, BTW. Aluminum has it's uses in guns, polymer has it's uses, and at the very bottom end, Zamak has it's uses.

the only derringer to trust is made by bond arms. they are built like tanks and never fired much so used ones are good deals. look for the updated model with wider hammer and indented trigger, factory updating an older model costs $150. "4" calibers need the extended grips and are not too harsh if handgun specific 410 or cowboy 45lc ammo is used. 357 is harsh, 38 or 9mm is pleasant. quite accurate to 15'. interchangeable barrels are very convenient. admittedly an expensive niche defense piece but totally robust and reliable. i doubt that a b.a. could ever be made to misfire.

I just noticed that Heizer makes derringers as well. Were they before the Double Tap?
Isn't that a chicken, and egg discussion? This one sued that one, that one sued this one. This name, that name, all the same two shooter bigger, bulkier, and heavier than many 6 or 7 shot semi-autos.
I'll stand by my comments in post #2 from nearly a year ago. If it's for a fun range toy, plinker, the Cobra is OK. Just a cheap plaything but I wouldn't trust my life to it.
But then also, for self defense I wouldn't carry any two shooter when there are so many easily concealed pistols with several rounds more capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back