Coaching problem shooters

Also video the shooters actions. They don't know they are doing anything wrong when they are shooting, and you can tell them, but that usually takes lots and lots of reminding, and then they quickly revert, draw technique or muzzling for example. The only way to correct that is for them to understand how they do things by watching the video and practicing until it's good. I have a really bad habit of going to SUL position in transitioning arrays in competition. I watch the videos, know that it's costing time and position, know that your gun should always lead, you follow, shoot the next stage correctly, then right back to SUL...

Jeff, do you ever use video as a teaching aid? I've seen where some instructors video their students and together they analyze what the student can improve upon.

use of video as a training aid

We used video for a while in the Police Academy. We had quite a hike between the range and the range house where the monitor was, so in our particular circumstance the video was of limited utility.

These most recent coaching sessions were conducted at a commercial indoor range that has a fixed firing line and partitions between the shooters,. so it's hard/damn near impossible to position yourself to the side where you can better observe what the shooter is actually doing.

Once the weather breaks I'm hoping to get these people out to the outdoor range where I have more flexibility in where I position myself to observe what they're doing.

Yea, an indoor "bowling alley" range would be damn difficult to see anything going on. That's why I suggested the AirSoft, you can do that in the office.

diagnosing yourself

So a week ago I took a CCW strategies and deployment class from Spartan Tactical Training Group in Illinois. This is basically the same class as their Advanced Tactical Handgun class, except that you shoot from concealment. I used my Glock 19 out of a Bianchi Black Widow holster.

In the class we did lots of fast shooting at close range.

I dropped a bunch of points on the qualification course at the end. My group was good but shifted slightly to the left (I'm a right handed shooter) . I wasn't sure what happened, but I figured it had something to do with trigger control and maybe rushing shots because the time limits were tight.

Yesterday I went shooting at the indoor range and did a bunch of accuracy drills at 50 feet with the Glock 19. My groups were, once again, tight but shifted slightly to the left. I was shooting on IDPA silhouette targets, and they were right on the outer edge of the A zone at 9 o'clock.

Further investigation revealed that the probable cause for my shooting left was finger drag on the frame. Once I figured that out, my group went back to the center.

I'm glad I figured that out because I hate it when my shooting is off and I can't figure out why . . . didn't have this problem a few days ago shooting at training with my issue G22 either.

Back