Coach Gun for Self/Home Defense

I'm personally concerned with trying to load a shotgun during a robbery, especially if I have been in sleepy-land....why I use a 357 first, keep the shotgun in a closet.....but I don't have small kids around anymore.....

Besides having a good HD firearm, Always keep a good sharp knife along side you at all times. Never know when it will come in handy if you cant get to your HD gun. I keep a nice razor sharp folder on my belt wherever I go. Its like the thing of a knife at a gun fight but if its all you got, It will do. I have always relied on a regular 26" barrel shotgun for HD and see no reason to get all tacked out for something that may never happen. If it ever came down to it, My bird gun would work just fine on the BG. And theres no lights, lasers or folding items on it to get caught up on things if im ducking and weaving thru my house. Its the gun im using all the time and feel very confident with the way I shoot it. I have seen alot of HD guns with all kinds of junk hanging off them and its so much more stuff to get in the way or caught on a curtain or bed sheet.

I keep my coach gun in the same condition as Rampant_Colt, although I get there differently. I drop the hammers on snap caps, remove the forearm, crack open the barrels and replace the snaps caps with live rounds, close the action and replace the forearm. My coachgun has rebounding internal hammers. This results in a loaded but un-cocked coachgun which is made ready the same as described by Rampant_Colt. (Don't think this works too well on Stoegers, though.) I do have pumpguns, including an 18 incher but generally don't rely on them for HD. If the War of the Worlds begins, I'll reconsider. Of course, being a curmudgeonly troglodyte, my home defense revolver is most often a single-action also.

A long history of success is hard to argue against

Double barrel shotguns, and the short "coach guns" have done good service since the day they were invented. They don't work any less effectively today than they did well over 100 years ago.

Stopping/putting down a home invader with mayhem on their mind does the trick, but so does driving them off. And a shotgun is something that really gives good service for that.

I keep a coach gun loaded and close at hand, one of the chinese made ones with double triggers and "rabbit ear" hammers. it is a cheap gun, but made well enough to go bang every time, and nothing more is needed. With a butt cuff holding a couple more shells it is just the thing.

I have an old 16ga SxS that I cut the barrel down to 18.5". I keep it loaded with #1 buck. This is the gun my wife tells me she would grab is there were a problem in our house. This is the ultimate "keep it simple stupid" gun!

This old Stevens 311 SxS in 16 Ga has served well for over 25 years now. I bought it used, with the barrels shortened.
With #1 Buck, its a comfort on those dark and stormy nights.

img0525resize.jpg

A fellow took Clint Smiths shotgun course at Thunder Ranch, and showed up with a single shot. Clint was impressed by the ol' timers' ability to use it and incorperated a single shot in his shotgun video.

Not because he recommends a single shot for defense, but to show that you can defend yourself with such a weapon if you have to.

It can be reloaded faster than you might think, as can a double. Break it open, give it a strong shake to the rear to eject the empties over your shoulder (on a non ejector type gun), reload, and keep going. Attached ammo supply is a must.

I won't be replacing my 870 with either a single or double anytime soon, but they're both tools that can be used.

I think the Coachgun would be good as one part of a defensive arsenal-- like stashed in a strategic place in a jewelry or pawn shop, etc,-- or even in the home. Two quick powerful shots, but it wouldn't be the only accessible gun I'd want.

Nnobby45 wrote
I think the Coachgun would be good as one part of a defensive arsenal-- like stashed in a strategic place in a jewelry or pawn shop, etc,-- or even in the home. Two quick powerful shots, but it wouldn't be the only accessible gun I'd want.

Bingo! That's the key.

I think my 311 16 would work fine just the it is for HD. even with longer barrels...

Last edited:
Back