CMP rifles

In 1951 or thereabouts, the pawn shops on East 6th St. in Austin, Texas, were loaded with single-action Colts for $25 to $35.

In 1966 I bought a four-digit serial number 1911 over-the-counter retail for $65.

In 1980 a buddy of mine bought a brand-new full-auto Tommy gun for $782 plus sales tax.

Wish I had a time machine. :D

In 1980 I bought my first M1 from the DCM for $112.70 delivered to my door in Anchorage. The last one I bought was from the CMP, about 18 months ago for $630 delivered.

The differnence is, I could afford the current $630 easier then I could the $112.70 in 1980.

Its all relative.

I purchased a field grade Garand at the CMP store for less than $500 three years ago while attending the National Matches at Camp Perry. I am happy to have it.
I will check on prices again later this week while attending the matches.
;

A piece of our history!

It saddens me a bit when I hear somebody that doesn't understand or appreciate why someone would want a piece of history. I currently own 7 Garands, 6 with WW2 numbers and one from Korean war. And a couple of M1903A3's, as well as Mausers, Carcano's, Enfields, Nagants and an Arisaka 99. Besides being very enjoyable to shoot (although ammo is expensive) I love just holding them and feeling what the men might have felt 75 or in the case of some, over 100 years ago carrying one around. It's a solid real piece of history you can touch and feel and call your own... every nick, scratch or rust pit tells a story. Something you can pass on to your grandchildren! As was said, it's supply and demand. They only made so many. They're not making new ones and if they did they would be reproductions, not the real item. Every collector that grabs one means one less for a future collector. As for those M1's from the Philippines the OP mentioned, dig into that a little and you will find the majority of those are in poor shape. Apparently they were stored in a warehouse that was falling apart, so they weren't stored properly. Water damage, insect infestation, asbestos contamination. They spent several million just to clean them up enough to bring them back to the states. Frankly, $1000 for an M1 is a steal even though as a kid I remember seeing them stacked in a barrel for $175 a pop. If I only knew. As was said... if you've ever picked one up, loaded it without losing your thumb and felt the satisfying unique sound and feel of firing it, you'd understand why they are still in demand.

Ok my bad maybe, is it possible I wasn't looking in the right place for pricing. I get the collector value of militaria. lowest price I could find for a rifle was way more than I expected, same with the 1911's

"I purchased a field grade Garand at the CMP store for less than $500" That is what I figured for rough shape rifle. Couldn't find one on their website.

"about 18 months ago for $630 delivered." That's what I thought they were going for.

"They have some field grades for $650 right now." where?

Not knocking the whole thing, maybe just missing some information.

I was in the CMP store at Camp Perry yesterday.
Rack grade Garands were at $850; they were sold out.
Field and Service grades were $950 and $1055.

Last edited:
reddog thank you for the link. when I originally posted I was looking at the wrong page I guess. Sorry if I offended anyone, my bad. Now it makes more sense.

If we're going to get nostalgic, I bought my Garand from the DCM in the early 90s. It was $165 delivered to my door. The downside was that the background check system wasn't as sophisticated as it is now, so it took 11 months between payment and delivery.

"... Sorry if I offended anyone, my bad. Now it makes more sense."

308loader, if you were referring to me, no worries, certainly no offence taken. Even though I grew up with guns, I didn't appreciate older "pieces of history" until I was in my 50's. Now I'm addicted!

Maker

Which maker?
Dont know. I was not looking to buy and so did not check anything but the placarded prices.
I was there to buy ammo. No surplus available, only Sellier and Belloit. I left empty handed. Went home and loaded some of my owm.

Ok my bad maybe, is it possible I wasn't looking in the right place for pricing. I get the collector value of militaria. lowest price I could find for a rifle was way more than I expected, same with the 1911's

"I purchased a field grade Garand at the CMP store for less than $500" That is what I figured for rough shape rifle. Couldn't find one on their website.

"about 18 months ago for $630 delivered." That's what I thought they were going for.

"They have some field grades for $650 right now." where?

Not knocking the whole thing, maybe just missing some information.
Well...

Don't understand your confusion.

Red

a symbol

When you buy a Garand from CMP (or anywhere else) you are buying an iconic rifle from the past, possibly carried in WWII, again in Korea, and some went to Vietnam as well. Literally millions of US serviceman trained and shot with them. You can hold this item in your hands, and wonder where it's been, how many recruits handled it, did it see combat? You do't buy one for purely practical purposes, you buy one to appreciate it.

Comparing this symbol of our military history to a price point poly rifle, or a contemporary tactical black rifle, (excluding the M16 family I suppose) is narrow minded.

Prices.....? Our whole shooting sport seems overpriced to me these days, to the point that I do not shoot as much as I used to, or want to, because of cost. Luckily, I obtained my M1 rifles when prices were much better.....but if I wanted one, I would pay the current asking price. There will be no more M1 rifles.

Back