CMP M-1

I took both mine and my father's CMP "Service Grade" Garands down to the local M1 guru at The Armory of Orange. He went through each, very slowly, pointing out dates and manufacturers of each part. He headspaced and timed both. They both checked out to be in the exact condition promised for a Service Grade rifle and were completely safe to shoot.

It was pretty cool. By the time he was done with both rifles, there was a crowd of about 10 people quietly saying things like, "alrigh", "cool", "wow", and finally, "so they are in good condition".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff, CA:
So what's the real story? What can I expect to see when I open the box? What sort of testing do you mean, Mouse Gun? Will it at least be shootable, or might it need work? I'm talking about serviceability, not cosmetics. This will be a service grade, non Danish issue.[/quote]

Jeff, what you can expect is a good safe functioning rifle. I received mine 2 days ago and was really elated! It was in great shape. Tight, with a great bore, (TE of 2)tight muzzle, and good wood (all Springfield Armory parts too). The US Govt. had hundreds of thousands of these rifles held in reserve on different military bases around the country. In the mid 60's when I was in the USAF there were several thousand stored on base in case the base ever came under attack and the Combat Defense unit needed help the plan was to arm Mechanics, Cooks, Admin. Personnel etc. with them to help defend the base. (How I don't know since these type of persons were never trained with the Garand) The rifles were in great shape (we as small arms personnel had to check them annually). After the M1 Carbine and the plastic wonder M-(junk)16, became avaliable in greater numbers these M1's were sent to Arsenals along with any that the other branches of the military possessed. At the arsenals they were checked in, repaired if necessary, tuned up, rebuilt, preserved, and stored. this is what you are going to receive. A U.S. Rifle Cal. 30 M1 that is/was ready to be issued to a member of the US armed forces to use in the performance of his duties. It may not be all that pretty but it damn sure will shoot! I think that you will be pleasantly suprised with what you will receive, I was. By the way mine arrived 3 weeks and 1 day after I mailed the paperwork To Port Clinton, Oh.

------------------
Carlyle

That's good to hear. Seems like I sent in my paperwork just about the time you did, Carlyle, so mine may show up at any moment.

Next question: I got a briefing on the loading procedure from a guy at a CMP match (beautiful H&R, one of the last select grade), but he and everyone else there were right-handed (genetic freaks) ;-) Has anyone developed a loading technique for a lefty (other than shove it down and get your thumb out of the way)?

Finally - how do you post a quote from a previous post like that?

[This message has been edited by Jeff, CA (edited April 20, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff, CA:

Next question: I got a briefing on the loading procedure from a guy at a CMP match (beautiful H&R, one of the last select grade), but he and everyone else there were right-handed (genetic freaks) ;-) Has anyone developed a loading technique for a lefty (other than shove it down and get your thumb out of the way)?

Finally - how do you post a quote from a previous post like that?

[This message has been edited by Jeff, CA (edited April 20, 2000).]
[/quote]

Jeff as far as the loading procedure I am right handed so never had a problem. The closest I ever came to getting "M1 Thumb" was at the all SAC Highpower Matches at Beale AFB, Ca. way back in 67 I bleieve it was. I was lucky my thumb was far enough out that the bolt pushed it out of the way rather than caught it and jammed it. The inctruction manual that CMP sends with the rifle does address loading by a southpaw though, but i think it says do it like a righty!
To quote from a previous post use the little box on the top of the post you want to use (the one with the little red arrow on it)it will show up automaticaly in your reply, and any part of the post you do not want to use smiply use either the delet or the back space button to get rid of. Be sure not to delete the codes at the beginning and end of the quote ( Etc.). One other thing the CMP ships the rifles FedEx overnight priority air so you will have it the day after it is shipped! Enjoy shooting that piece of history you have on the way.

------------------
Carlyle

Finally - how do you post a quote from a previous post like that?[/quote]

There are two ways to to this. First, and the one most offended, is to click on the little "arrow page" (reply with quote) on the post you want to quote on. This is located at the end of the "Posted on" line of the post. This will open a window with the ENTIRE post being quoted.

This can cause problems in that the entire post is submitted again and you may only want to quote a portion of the post (like above. You need to edit out the portion you do not want to quote. How you ask? Why I'll tell ya...

Next to the place where you are typing your post you will see a link that reads "*UBB Code is ON". Click on this link and it will explain UBB Code and how to use it. It is so simple even a Jarhead can understand it. You can also use this to make bold, itilic type and other things.

You may also want to check out the "Smilies Legend" as they really do help express your posts.
biggrin.gif

If you read the two links and still have questions please feel free to e-mail me and I'll try and walk you through it.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 20, 2000).]

One more question folks.

What is the difference between the "Service Grade" and the "Danish Issue" M1's. I would assume that the Danish Issue were probably issued to the Danish armed forces during the "Lend-Lease" years and were then repatriated by the US.
Is there any difference in quality or condition? Is one type generaly better than the other?
Thanks Guys and Gals
smile.gif

------------------
TANSTAAFL- R.A. Heinlen

"Molon Labe"- Leonidas to Xerxes at Thermopile

The Danish Issue guns were sent to Denmark after WWII. Many were re-fitted over there and re-worked with foreign parts (some Beretta parts). I have also heard that some of them are not in that great of a shape. Personally I will stick with "service issue", and US GI parts. The "Danish Issue" may have some historical value but for a shooting rifle I will stick with service issue.

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 23, 2000).]

Back