CMP M-1

SA Scott

I would like to purchase a CMP Garand as a gift for my father (it was his service weapon on enlistment in 1959).

I understand the application process, but I have two questions: approximately how long is the wait, and more important, does anyone known where I can shoot to qualify in the San Antonio/S. Texas area?

Thanks,

SA Scott

http://www.odcmp.com/
SERVICE GRADE: $400.00 - Limit of two per customer per calendar year - In external appearance, these are average rifles in "military
service" condition. Metal finish may be worn. The wood will be sound, but with probable dents, gouges and bruises. Parts and/or finish are not
necessarily original, and may be mixed from different manufacturers. Bore condition measured by a throat erosion gauge will vary from 1
(new) to 5 (worn but serviceable). As of November 1, 1999 please add $19.95 shipping charge per rifle.

Update from the Executive Committee meeting of April 6, 2000.

The Executive Committee approved the following conditions of sale and price adjustments, effective for all applications received by the CMP that are postmarked June
1, 2000 or later.

COLLECTOR GRADE: $950.

SELECT GRADE: Discontinued this grade. CMP will honor all applications currently on file (approximately 1800) for this grade. Once these backorders have been
filled, all rifles with Throat Erosion of 1 - 5 will be graded as Service Grade.

SERVICE GRADE: $500. Throat erosion 1 - 5.

SERVICE GRADE LESS WOOD: $425. Hardware for wood components NOT included. Although we offer this option, we DO NOT recommend it. Suitable wood
and stock / hand-guard hardware are becoming extremely difficult to find on the open market.

DANISH ISSUE SERVICE GRADE: $400.

BARRELED RECEIVER - A: This is a new option being offered for $300 (original barrel / receiver combination, not refinished). These are stripped barreled receivers
that have not passed barrel inspection criteria. Receiver may be either Grade A or B (definitions below). Barrel did not meet Service Grade criteria for any of the
following reasons:

Throat Erosion exceeds 5 (but will be 8 or less).
Barrel has slight rust or pitting.
Throat Erosion less than 5, but muzzle worn.

NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 1 JUNE 2000
http://www.tsra.com/
List of TX clubs:
EDNA POKES JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
EDNA
TX
GOLDEN TRIANGLE GUN CLUB & JR DIVISION (P)
BEAUMONT
TX
AUSTIN RIFLE CLUB AND JUNIOR DIVISION (P)
AUSTIN
TX
CENTRAL TEXAS R & P CLUB INC & JR DIVISION (P)
WACO
TX
LAWARD 4-H JUNIOR RIFLE TEAM (P)
LOLITA
TX
CROCKETT COUNTY SHOOTING SPORTS & JR DIV (P)
OZONA
TX
DIMMIT COUNTY 4-H JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
CARRIZO SPRINGS
TX
HIGH PLAINS SHOOTING SPORTS ASSN & JR DIV (P)
CLAUDE
TX
HEMPHILL COUNTY 4-H JUNIOR GUN CLUB (P)
CANADIAN
TX
NACOGDOCHES RIFLE CLUB & JUNIOR DIVISION (P)
NACOGDOCHES
TX
LONE STAR GUN CLUB & JUNIOR DIVISION (P)
LONE STAR
TX
WEST BELL SHOOTING CLUB & JR DIVISION (P)
LAMPASAS
TX
FT BEND 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS CLUB (P)
ROSENBERG
TX
FT WORTH JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
FT WORTH
TX
VALLEY GUN CLUB AND JUNIOR DIVISION (P)
HARLINGEN
TX
GREENWOOD GUN CLUB & JUNIOR DIVISION (P)
LAKE JACKSON
TX
FRANKLIN MOUNTAIN GUN CLUB & JR DIVISION (P)
EL PASO
TX
LLANO COUNTY 4 H JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
LLANO
TX
ARMSTRONG COUNTY 4-H JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
CLAUDE
TX
TEMPLE GUN CLUB INC & JUNIOR DIVISION (P)
TEMPLE
TX
TEXAS STATE RIFLE ASSOCIATION (E)
DALLAS
TX
PEARLAND SPORTSMANS CLUB (PSC) (P)
PEARLAND
TX
YOUNG COUNTY 4-H JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
GRAHAM
TX
GROVETON 4-H JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
GROVETON
TX
PEARLAND JUNIOR RIFLE CLUB (P)
PEARLAND
TX

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SA Scott:

I understand the application process, but I have two questions: approximately how long is the wait, and more important, does anyone known where I can shoot to qualify in the San Antonio/S. Texas area?

[/quote]

CMP says 45-90 day waiting period but I think 30 to 45 days is about average for shipping time. If you are a veteran, police officer Etc. you do not have to fire the 50 rounds a copy of your DD-214 will meet the 50 round requirement.

------------------
Carlyle

Follow-up question: Do I have to shoot an NRA/DCM "match" to qualify or is there another way to get a classification card, e.g. marksmanship class, etc.?

Thanks,

SA Scott

You don't necessarily have to shoot in a match to qualify to buy one. CMP lists several methods including taking an NRA rifle instructor course, current law enforcement, etc. Check out their website at http://www.odcmp.com for more info.

Mine showed up in about a month.

Go to www.odcmp.com and check pricing -- I believe your dad will get a $200 discount for being a WWII vet.

Whoops -- didn't notice enlistment date. :o

As to your other question, you don't need to qualify if you have a DD 214, and there are a number of matches being run across the country to help people qualify to purchase an M1. More are showing up now to try and beat the $100 increase.

[This message has been edited by dzeanah (edited April 15, 2000).]

I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm not a veteran or LEO, and a little embarrassed to shoot a competition without a high-power marksmanship class or some other preparation first.

The easiest thing would be to have dad purchase the rifle, I was just hoping to surprise him.

Thanks for all the assistance. :)

SA Scott

SA-
I found a match in the DFW area (Terrell Gun Club) that offers a class where you shoot a match but it also includes a training class about matches and you are shooting against other "novices". It will qualify you for purchase of a rifle and is very informative as well. I purchased both the service grade and the Danish along with a couple of .22's and recievers. The service grade was in much better shape than the Danish. Buy soon, as you see the price increase on the near horizon.
Cris

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cris:
SA-
Buy soon, as you see the price increase on the near horizon.
Cris
[/quote]

Any order postmarked June 1st or later will be $500 instead of $400.

------------------
Carlyle

Why would anyone to take the time to "Qualify" to buy an overpriced rifle from CMP?
Considering the fact that you can get an M1 Garand with a BRAND NEW machined receiver, and all new GI parts for $429.
Also, if CMP really is a "Civilian Marksmanship Program" shouldnt the rifles be free?

JUNG1999:

Where are these "new" $429 rifles available?

I guess I'd still want a CMP M-1 because (presumably) it was an issued service weapon...just a history thing.

Thanks,

SA Scott

The GI parts on these new receivers are re-imports and are not new. They are refinished in quenstionable condition. I have seen a few with horrible gas systems.

The M1s from the CMP are the real deal, in honest used condition, built on the real machinery, in the real factory. Each has a history of it's own and deserves a good home. It would be silly to pay $30 more for a rifle that may never appreciate in value.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JUNG1999:

Considering the fact that you can get an M1 Garand with a BRAND NEW machined receiver
[/quote]

Everyone that I have had any contact with and the 2 rifles that I have seen confirms my belief that these "new" receivers are Junk with a capital "J" and not only that but are unsafe also.
The CMP rifles are in the shape that they would be issued in if they were still the US Service rifle. That is, used but ready for many more years of use. Even after 6/1/00 when the price rises to $500 they are still a great deal.

------------------
Carlyle

On the requirement to have shot 50 rounds...that does not need to be in a rifle competition, in the stricktest sense. You need to prove you have shot 50 rounds of ammo...period. It does not need to be rifle ammo. Although I submitted a scoring card from an action PISTOL match, I could have gone down to a local indoor range, bought a box of 50 rounds, gotten the range officer to sign a piece of paper saying I shot it all, and submitted the reciept and letter for that particular qualification requirement.

The CMP people are *very* good about answering questions about qualification for rifle sales, if you need to email them.

Forseti:

Thanks. I emailed customer service direct. I know I can (and probably will) go shoot with San Antonio Rifle & Pistol Club out at Camp Bullis, I'm just embarrassed to without some preliminary instruction.
redface.gif

SA Scott

[This message has been edited by SA Scott (edited April 18, 2000).]

I don't think anyone will make fun of or laugh at you when you shoot. The club I belong to has an instructional session before the actual match for those who never shot a Garand before or just need to brush up. I really can't see the need for concern. If someone has the need to criticize a first timer, then that's a good range to stay away from. It wouldn't be a good way to promote the sport.

Joefo

My CMP Garand arrived TODAY!! Paper work mailed on March 29th, and it was shipped overnight express yesterday, it arrived at my fathers address at 2 PM today!!! His old eyes lit up when he saw me open the package! Said "damn if that had been a Winchester made one it could have been my old one from 43-45." All parts SA. Barrel as close to prefect as you can get! Wood in great shape..all walnut! High SN 3,600,000 range! Entire rifle in great sahpe, tight as a drum, muzzle tight as.....well its tight
biggrin.gif
! Even at the 6/1/00 price of $500 its a bargin!!! May have my father get one at the WWII vets price!
Scott, take my word for it and go for it be not afraid to go to the range..a real shooter will do nothing but try to help you!

------------------
Carlyle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JUNG1999:
Why would anyone to take the time to "Qualify" to buy an overpriced rifle from CMP?
Considering the fact that you can get an M1 Garand with a BRAND NEW machined receiver, and all new GI parts for $429.
Also, if CMP really is a "Civilian Marksmanship Program" shouldnt the rifles be free?
[/quote]

I guess because I don't believe that you can actually buy a quality M1 for anywhere close to that price! I've been to tons of gun shows, and visit lots of firearms forums, funny that this is the only reference I've seen to this price for this gun.

Don't take this wrong, but what do you know about the CMP, JUNG1999? I'd check out the website www.odcmp.com for a little history. It's a free country and you are welcome to think what you want, but the CMP's sole purpose is not to sell guns, it's to promote marksmanship to new shooters, main focus being juniors. This all requires money, which the sale of these rifles and the like generate, not to mention the rifles get a good going over by folks that know something about them and are tested before they leave the door.

The quality of the CMP/GI Garand is much better than the CAI rifles(forged receiver says it all for me, and the CAI receiver is not even close to the quality of Springfield Inc.)and the parts on the CAI may look new but they are refinished well worn from Danish rifles. I've also noticed so many other things wrong with the rifle
frown.gif
sight indexing marks ground off, sight base moved around in the receiver alot, barrels not properly indexed, elevation detents not very deep, elevation knob not assembled correctly, extractors worn/spring weak and many orfices still contaminatd with blasting media(check www.fulton-armory.com for some more of what they have seen). The CMP rifle may not be perfect but CAI rifle is not being assembled by an experienced M1 armorer IMHO, too many things that aren't right on the rifles I've seen. I'm no expert but I don't need any help to see the difference, just my opinions and worth probably what you paid for them.

Brian

"...the rifles get a good going over by folks that know something about them and are tested before they leave the door."

I'm currently waiting for my first M1 (expect it around the middle of May). Naturally, the CMP posts warnings like, "No guarantees, have the rifle checked by a comptent gunsmith", etc. So what's the real story? What can I expect to see when I open the box? What sort of testing do you mean, Mouse Gun? Will it at least be shootable, or might it need work? I'm talking about serviceability, not cosmetics. This will be a service grade, non Danish issue.

Back