CMP 1911- I'm getting one!

veprdude

I got an email last night that my number was called. Who has received a CMP 1911 and in what grade? Are you happy with it? Should I try an auction gun?

Several members of the M1911.org forum have already received pistols from the CMP. All the guns I've seen photos of so far have been rearsenaled "mixmasters" (mismatched slide and receiver), but they've all been in decent condition -- MUCH better than the blobs of rust a couple of dedicated naysayers were predicting before the guns actually started showing up.

Whether or not you should hold out for an auction pistol depends on what you really want, and how deep your pockets are. The ones they're selling outright are going for how much -- is it $800 or $1,000? That's for mixmasters. Expect the all-matching pistols being sold at auction to sell for at least $2,000 or higher. Based on the condition of the ones I've seen so far I expect the auction pistols to be fairly nice, but only you can decide how much they're worth to you.

If you pass up a straight sale pistol to hold out for a chance at an auction ... what happens if you get outbid? Do you still have the option of taking the one they offered you, or do you get nothing?

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread....ed-USGI-M1911-Field-Grade-Pistol-from-the-CMP

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?110969-Request-Factory-Info-CMP-Ithaca-1911

The correct answer of course, is to get both.

But if that isn't in line with what your budget can afford, I would be leaning more towards getting the one they are offering you outright. I can't say for certain, but I suspect that the auction guns are going to be very expensive as those interested in them are going to base their bids on what similar guns are currently selling for on the open market, plus I see a premium on them for the provenance coming from the CMP.

Right now USGI 1911's are going for big bucks, with even relatively poor condition guns bringing $1500 to $1800 and those in nice condition topping $2500. The earlier the gun the more they seem to bring.

I am fortunate in that I bought several dating from 1914 up through 1944 before the prices climbed into the stratosphere or I would have been trying to get one of the lottery guns.

I seen one that came in an ffl at a local dealer that was supposed to be one of the better grade 1911.

I would not have paid 1k+ for it. It was is pretty rough shape

I think you can only get one per person. Either from their standard offering or auction. So if I pass on the graded ones I'd be relying on auction guns.

There are three currently on auction. All over $2500. I was considering paying up to $2000 but the auction guns are too rich for my blood.

Well, I just got off the phone. I'm getting a service grade for 1050 and I requested a pre-A1. I'll post pictures when I get it in. they said expect it next week.

The CMP auctions both have a day or more left and I'd expect the prices to jump at the end. I purchased a service grade back in January and it looked like it hadn’t been shot since it had been re-arsenaled. I have seen pictures of dozens of the guns sent out and none of then were pretty rough even the lesser grade pistols I've seen weren't too bad. The CMP has descriptions on their website and generally the descriptions are worst case scenario with most of the guns being received in better condition than most people expect. I have heard of people being disappointed, but I'm guessing they were expecting a nice shiny brand new gun and don't realize these have been around for decades and probably seen numerous wars. That's kind of the point of buying a CMP gun IMO...

If you want a cheap 1911 there are better options out there. If you want a legit Army 1911 in good condition the CMP is your best bet.

I have seen pictures of several and handled a couple in person and all looked to be in excellent condition. Nowadays a grand for a real GI 1911 with provenance is a very decent deal.

If all you are looking for is a shooter grade 1911 and the only value you place on it is how much you pay, then get a Rock Island and be done with it. If you want a genuine GI pistol, the CMP guns are a great option.

Well I got it in Friday- arrived in less than 20 hours from when I got off the phone with them.

Asked for a nice Pre-A1 and I don't think I could be happier.

IMG_9962%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_9963%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_9964%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_9965%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_9966%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

Last edited:
Curious mix. It has A1 grips (that don't match from left to right), A1 slide stop, and a late A1 hammer ... but it still has the M1911 grip safety and the long M1911 trigger. Looks to be in decent condition.

Congratulations. Is this going to be a shooter? I know I would want to put a few rounds down range. Thanks for sharing.

kenny53 said:
Congratulations. Is this going to be a shooter? I know I would want to put a few rounds down range. Thanks for sharing.
That's the conundrum. For anyone seeking a shooter, a WW1 M1911 is the worst possible choice. The early slides had no heat treating at all, and very literally you cannot know when/if the next shot is going to convert your collectible M1911 into an assortment of M1911 parts ... with a shattered slide. These guns should be conserved, not shot.

However, it's not my gun. To shoot or not to shoot is the owner's choice.

https://ezine.m1911.org//showthread...iginal-M1911-M1911A1-or-Colt-Government-Model

I just don't see the value in these old relics. I carried one, shot it some. I wasn't much of a shooter back then and this rattle trap didn't help. The Navy was the last to convert to the new Barettas. By that time we had placed, BUORD approved, red danger tags on most of the 1911's in the armory. Can't believe they have had any work since the exchange. I'll take a nice new Springfield or late model(this century) Colt thank you.

Wow, you got a Pre A1? I am so jealous!

I got mine in two weeks ago, a nice Colt A1 frame from 1945 with a Remington Rand slide. Finish was excellent. Definitely arsenal reparkerized, which is to be expected. Took it to the range last weekend and it shot surprisingly well. Similar to what I would expect from a new production Kimber or Springfield Armory pistol. Has an outstanding, 4 lb trigger with no grit and a nice, clean break.

20190731-173859.jpg

Back