CLP and Gun Oil

I have tried Breakfree, and G96, and a few other CLP products over the last ten years or so, but never really was satisfied that I could depend on a CLP to really clean, lube and protect. I was brought up on Hoppes solvent and oil for cleaning and lube of my Rem 550-1 when I was 15. Stuck with Hoppes for a long time, and I still find the solvent works pretty good. For lube I have been using SLIP 2000 EWL (lube) and EWG (grease) for several years. I have tried MPro 7 and some of the SLIP 2000 bore cleaner, but mostly I still use Hoppes #9 for cleaning. Using the EWL has made cleaning after the range must faster, nothing really caked on the guns even after a lot of shooting, and even with semi-auto .22 rim fires. The EWG is great on slides and such parts that slide or rub. They also make a EWL 30 that I find works really good on critical wear points on bcg’s. A wet patch of EWL through the bore before you put the gun up, insures much easier bore cleaning later on, and it only takes a moment to run a dry patch prior to heading to the range if desired.

I have also been quite pleased with Mobil 1 synthetic and lubriplate. Found Rem Oil to be pretty poor and Hoppes gun grease is to be avoided (dries and cakes).

dahermit, I've had good luck with removing wad residue using a 50-50 mix of Hoppe's #9/Kroil. Let it soak a while, seems to work well on my shotgun. Hope this helps.

I use the CLP to wipe the gun down and also use it as a lubricant in certain places. When I use it as a lubricant, I may spread it around with my finger, but I won't wipe it off. As a protectant, CLP has worked well for me. The only time I've had an issue was on 1 particular handgun magazine. Some rust spots developed, but it was from my neglect of the mag(lack of CLP treatment), not the fault of CLP.

Maybe this is good, maybe this is not so good - but I still use a trick I learned from watching a friend rebuild transmissions years ago.

Whenever he pulled parts out of the parts washer (mineral spirits), he would use an air hose nozzle to blow them dry. I noticed it left a thin film on the parts that you couldn't really see but you could feel with your fingers. So, when I started cleaning guns I used the same technique. Spray with CLP then use the air nozzle to blow dry. That technique has worded for me for about 4 decades now.

I like MPro7 and Weaponshield. Great stuff. Most products are serviceable and will meet the needs to one degree or another.

Last edited:
Revolvers / rifles / shotguns; Hoppes 9 to clean with (except nickel guns, as it will strip the finish) and any good 3/1 oil to lubricate. On my semiautomatics I now use grease as it won't evaporate like oil can.

Back