Close Call Horror Stories

FLA2760

Hi
Let us know of any time you used or came very close to using your gun in self defense.
Here is my story.

When we moved to Fl in 1997 we first rented a house to see if we wanted to buy in Fl. We were in the house like a month; Palm Coast in Flagler county pretty rural then. Anyway I am up watching the tube in the LR at about 1am. I hear a car going up and down the street slowly. I had recently purchased a Rossi .357 so my new toy was with me in the LR as I watched tv. Well the car pulls into my driveway blacked out and two big dudes get out and are talking and smoking in my driveway. I now have the Flagler county sherrif dispatcher on the line and I am saying that these guys were acting suspicious by cruising up and down the block slowly and they are now in my driveway and do not belong here! Suddenly; they are banging on my door and saying open up we want our money! I realize they must be looking for the previous tenants and I tell them that you have the wrong guy and that the cops are on the way. They shout f--K the cops your ass is ours. I yell I am armed and will shoot! They stop kicking my door and start to mumble to each other. Get this, the 911 operator that was still on the line is screaming at me to PUT DOWN MY GUN! I am like NO WAY but when your deputy's arrive I will meet them with empty hands. The guys took off. When the deputy (1) arrived it had been like 12 minutes. He later told me he had been running at about 85 mph. When his backup arrived ( another 10 minutes )they began to search the neighborhood. They stopped these guys a few blocks away peering into a house under construction. Both of them were arrested on prowling charges and one of them had a warrant for a drug case. The cops found several dagger type knives and one revolver
(loaded) with scratched off serial numbers in their truck! My wife had already taken cover in our MB with my daughter who was 4 at the time. She was under the bed at my wife's knees. My wife had the mossberg 12ga trained on the locked BR door. She would have unloaded on anyone who tried to come in! We were only a mile from interstate 95 and I guess the community was seen as easy pickings due to the few LEOs on duty on the graveyard shift. We now live clear across the state in a community that has much better response times.
Thank God for the outcome

That is some scary stuff man. I'm glad it worked out okay for you and even happier that those scumbags were arrested. You might want to keep up to date on their status since they might feel you were responsible for their arrest.

I would also report the response of the 911 operator to the police department. Like hell I would put my weapon down in a case like that.

I hope you were challenging from a position of cover. If they started shooting, it would be good to have something sturdy between you and hot lead.

I imagine a situation like that might make you want to reconsider living there, especially if any "friends" of the former tenant come looking for them. Good luck!

That is scary man!!
Suddenly; they are banging on my door and saying open up we want our money! I realize they must be looking for the previous tenants and I tell them that you have the wrong guy and that the cops are on the way. They shout f--K the cops your ass is ours. I yell I am armed and will shoot! They stop kicking my door and start to mumble to each other. Get this, the 911 operator that was still on the line is screaming at me to PUT DOWN MY GUN!
I believe I would have requested that the 911 operator go "make love to him/herself!":D Scumbags beating down your door, put down your gun - yeah, right.

Glad to hear things turned out ok....I've got a question though...I see this all the time, where people say "I have a gun and I will shoot." I always envision a warning... "I have a gun and I will KILL you if you fail to comply."

Seems like stronger verbiage to me. Thoughts?

Stew

long story shortened....
At a house party with about 150 people...mostly college age students (not all are in college tho), an argument ensues and some racial slurs are used and threats are made. Twenty minutes later, two of the guys in the argument come back, one is carrying a pump action shotgun, looks like a 20 gauge. I'm about 15 yards away in the back yard with about 50-60 people standing around. I spotted him coming up the drive way with the shotgun and I grabbed my friends and told them to go around the house the other way and call the police. The guy starts pointing the shotgun at people, my Cobra is out but im in no position because of distance to make any shot nor would i even risk it with the amount of people. He shoots the shotgun off into the air, racks it again, and continues pointing it at people. Most people are screaming and running by now. I've taken some semi cover behind the corner of the house, peeking my head out and telling people to run around the house, not into the open. Within minutes, theres sirens and flashing lights, shotgun guy and his buddy rabbit, and i've already reholstered. Blend into crowd and make a generic statement. Yes i was scared, but i stayed calm, didnt try and be a hero, just wanted to make sure people were safe. Glad i had my gun but it wasnt needed, nor did the BGs see it. my closest call to date

Back in the early 50s, my Grandma was home withthe little kids when she heard someone trying to get in thru the back porch. She took Grandpas old winchester 97 and shot him. He died right there on that porch, she was upset to no end but lived.

I was living in a neighborhood that went bad, all the older white folk either moved or got burned out, 3 houses set fire in that one summer. Anyway a guy told my neice he was going to do my house next, I had a wife that was an invalid due to a brain operateion, she passed away at age 31. I see the guy and ask him why he wants to do that. He runs off comes back with his "posse" of rough looking dudes. about 25 or so. I gets my rifle out and load it up on the porch in plain sight. Cops come, they ask if I pointed it at anyone, no they say, :) cops disperse crowd and tell me not to point it. I say I wasnt but with that many idiots in front of my house wantong to kick my butt cause I am white, well I would shoot the first one that set foot on mt porch. We moved that weekend, lost our deposit.....

Had a good one about a year ago. At about 6 am I heard someone pounding on the door of my GF's apartment.

I stood to one side of the door and shouted what did they want, and the guy just kept screaming to open the the door. At this point the GF comes out of the bedroom (of course walking right into the line of sight from the door). I told her to go back to the bedroom and dial 911 and just as she leaves the guy kicks in the cheapo door.

Well I almost just shot him right there but instead kicked him to the ground and covered him, and the door, till the local PD showed up. Turns out the guy was some idiot process server who got the wrong place. The cop told him he was lucky to be going to jail and not the morge. Too right.

Oh yeah, the 911 operator who said to put the gun down? I bet it was one of the same ones that ignored that 5 year old kid and got his mom killed. Anyone who would listen to that advice is a few cards short.

Last edited:
My only "close call" and this speaks heaps for me at least in terms of proper control,identifying a target, and training. A few years ago, when i still lived at the folk's house, my folks when out for the night and i had had a long day so I passed out pretty heavy in my room. A couple hours later I hear someone messing with the lock. Knowing my folks aren't due home til the next morning i got suspicious and went to take a peak with my shotgun next to me. As I got closer to the door the handle starts going nuts like someone was trying to rip it off,literally. About 5 seconds later the door pops open and my buddy falls face first in the door.:mad: I had the shotgun by my side and was peeking around the corner towards the door so i had cover and advantage, but wasn't aiming the gun. Just in case it was the folks you know :) Anyway I sit the gun down and walk over to my buddy who is half passed out on the floor. After I woke him up none to gently he told me he got drunk and then decided to walk over to the house to see what i was doing.:rolleyes: He had used our spare key to let himself in instead of knocking because he just didn't think about knocking. )He knew where the key was because he sometimes took care of our dogs while we were away and we'd known each other since we were kids to explain that) Anyway after me explaining i almost shot him he sobered up pretty quick and luckily that's about the closest i've ever come to using my gun.:eek:

Shoot to STOP!

"I have a gun and I will KILL you if you fail to comply."

Seems like stronger verbiage to me. Thoughts?"

You had better make sure there are no witnesses present if you use such words: they likely will be used against you.

You can shoot to STOP a deadly threat: that is self-defence. You cannot shoot with the INTENTION of killing: that is murder. If the perp is killed in the course of self defense, that is an unintended consequence of his offensive action and your attempt to stop it, and is forgiven by the law as long as your shooting was justified.

Always be able to say you shot to stop the threat. When the threat is stopped, you should not fire another shot. When you call 911 make sure to request EMS: underlining your intention not to kill.

Get the kill word out of your head: otherwise you may utter it at the wrong time for your welfare.

A responsible CCW'er NEVER has the intention of killing, unless that is the ONLY way to stop a threat (e.g. CNS shot in a hostage situation). Even then, I would not state I shot to kill, but just to drop the perp. Don't give ammo to the lawyers.

C

Get the kill word out of your head: otherwise you may utter it at the wrong time for your welfare.
Agreed, the staff here has tried to convey time and again, in so many words, that reality is not the studio set of 24. Shoot to stop. Everything else is incidental.

There was one night about a month ago, I had to go to Wal-Mart, and I got done shopping about an hour later, and I went outside after paying for my merchandise. I walk out to my car, and see a guy standing next to my car, and getting ready to bust my driver side window out. I drop my bag, and run up to him. I ask him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY CAR?" He looks at me, and at this point I can tell he's drunk, and I mean completely wasted. He stumbles around and looks at me. Next thing I know, I have him coming at me with a KNIFE with a blade that was about six inches long.
Before I continue, let me back up to the previous day. I went to the shooting range to shoot my brand new 357 snubnose revolver. I had used ALL ammo at the range, so I had no more ammo. I'm guessing I shoved the 357 into my coat pocket when I left and forgot about it.
Anyway, back to the night my life almost got taken away from me. I backed up, and I felt around my coat for anything I could take out and scare him with. I suddenly feel my 357 in my coat pocket, and whip it out, and point it at him and I tell him to back up or I will shoot. When his eyes met the barrel of a 357 snubnose, I have never seen a drunk man stumble so fast away from me. He tripped six times while he tried to get away. So anyway, I got lucky because I had pulled an empty gun on him. Now I ALWAYS carry a loaded firearm in a proper holster instead of my pocket. I'll never forget that night either. Also, I think I probably should have called the police, but I didn't, I just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible to avoid anymore confrontations. Sorry for the long post.

Edit: I didn't realize I had pulled an empty gun on him until after I got back in my car and checked the chambers.

(Edited by Capt Charlie for thinly veiled language)

spyderdude,

Never shoot up all of your ammo at the range. .357 Mag usually comes in the semi jacketed hollow point design, whether it be for range use or defense use. For other calibers, most target ammo is full metal jacket. I guess it is easy to say "just a few more rounds" and then realize you are out. You should save a few in your range bag just in case. You might have needed them at home that night after the range. I'm glad it worked out for you.

As an add to what Stephen426 said:When I go to the range I usually have,between all the guns,at least a thousand dollars worth of firearms in my car.I ALWAYS carry a full gun to and from the range,or I have no way to prevent someone from stealing them from me.And I can think of no greater humiliation than explaining to the responding officers that I was robbed at knifepoint of my guns because I had no ammo in any of them...Just a thought...

Thanks for the advice. I usually don't carry a loaded gun to the shooting range to comply with safety rules, but now when I'm carrying my 357, it's always loaded with Speer GoldDot 357s. I use 38 Specials for target practice. I just wish my family and friends would understand why I carry a loaded firearm on me when I go out. I guess some people just won't understand until it happens to them. :rolleyes:

I carry +p Hydra Shoks in my Glock 26. I know it is good to rotate your ammo every so often, but at double to triple the price of Winchester White Box, I won't be shooting my carry ammo at paper targets very often :eek: :D . It is watermelon season though so when they get cheap enough, I might use up my older ammo blowing some up! I'l try to film it and post it if possible. I'll probably have to go out to the Everglades to do it so I won't have the police called on me. I don't think any local ranges would let me shoot any "reactive" targets. :(

Best way for me when I go to the range is I have 2 different "ammo reserves". I have 2 clips for my XD,one 16 rd and one 10 rd, I usually unload my defense ammo at the range and just use the 10 round clip. Then, when I leave I reload the 10 rd with defense ammo and i've got 2 clips of defensive ammo for the ride home. I also load a speedloader for my revolver and when I leave I pop those in as well. On top of all that I have my house ammo that doesn't go to the range. It stays in the house until I just feel like I need some fresh rounds, but I always have ammo for every gun I own. Never know when you might need it. Course if I ever run out of ammo I can always use my broadsword I have hanging on the wall.....:D

Spyderdude said:
"Also, I think I probably should have called the police, but I didn't, I just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible to avoid anymore confrontations."

You absolutely should have! If the perp had called the cops and said you pointed a gun at him, you would have been in deep doo-doo. The first 911 call is usually the one believed.

Thankfully, I've never had a close call, but I do have a drug dealer living across the street. I know it, the neighbors know it, the city councilwoman knows it, and the cops know it, but they haven't been able to make a clean bust on him yet. Now that a couple of police officers have moved in two doors away, traffic to that house late at night has gone way down.

Nevertheless, they'd be sorry if they broke into my house.

---------------

S&W model 35 .22lr
S&W model 60 .38 Spl. (my bedroom gun)
Marlin model 39D .22lr
Marlin model 1894C .357 Magnum
Ithaca model 100 12-gauge
Ithaca model 200 12-gauge
High standard .22 Magnum derringer
Savage .22lr rifle.
Benjamin .22 pellet gun (for fun and dispatching chipmonks)
A few more that I'd to search for.

It wasnt really a "close" call, but the closest I've had, luckily.
Was lying asleep one night around 2 AM in bed, when I wake up and hear someone walking out back on the porch. (The porch is located directly above my room), and whoever it is, cant be up to no good, sneaking around our house, right by our backdoor, at 2 AM.

Its a weird sensation when you realise just whats about to happen, I went from sleepy and drowsy to superalert in just about 0.92 seconds.
I jump out of bed, get the 870, load it, and proceed up the stairs which leads up to the LR, overseeing the backdoor. I didnt expose myself or even look to see who it was, I just stood at the top of the stairs and racked that 870 once as hard as I could, and whoever it was decided it was time to leave.

Several years ago I was staying with my Father on our family farm in a rural Tennessee area. expectation for the nearest police response was by the county sheriff dept. and could be as much as 30 minutes at that time.He had a driveway that was about 200 yards long, and the nearest neighbor was a couple of miles. (The Boonies)

at about 0100 (thats 1:00AM) we awoke to the sound of small arms fire, and someone knocking furiously at the front door. :eek:

I armed myself with the handiest weapon a 30-30 Winchester, and my father had his 12 ga. He yelled thru the door and asked who was there and what was the problem, a young man (16-17) was pleading for us to call the police and an ambulance,his brother had been shot. My Mom got on the phone.

My father was a former Army medic, and I guess his training kicked in, he rushed out the door and pulled the injured young man safely behind our vehicles in the driveway. I rushed out the back door to try and determine where the continuing gunfire was coming from.

I saw a volkswagen bug about 100 yards out, and could see the muzzle flash
as the sporadic gunfire continued to be directed at our vehicles, in an obvious attempt to finish what they started.

I made the decision to fire at the bug and provide some cover so that my father might be able to move himself and the boys to a better position.

I fired about 5-6 rounds and the Bug started up and left quickly. a few moments later the sheriff arrived, and I gave him a description of the bug, the ambulance arrived, but sadly it was too late. The bug was stopped a few moments later by a State Trooper, said it was easy to identify as it had bullet holes in the trunk, and windshield:D

Back