Clear Jam or Go For Backup

I carry a 5-shot revolver. If it jams... well, I'm retreating anyway so maybe I can run faster.

You know, this brings up a good question. I know what to do if a semi-auto jams, but if a revolver malfunctions (failure to index, or failure to index properly) it seems to me that you are possibly "dead in the water" - I wouldn't know what to do, other than run.

I know what to do if a semi-auto jams, but if a revolver malfunctions (failure to index, or failure to index properly) it seems to me that you are possibly "dead in the water" - I wouldn't know what to do, other than run.

That does bring up a good question, namely what are the kinds of revolver jams that can be fixed quickly. For example, I have heard of experiences of cylinder binding in which the shooter had to use the off-hand while thumb-cocking (for those with single action ability) to advance the cylinder. Something to be aware of because it might beat running away at that particular moment. Also something that has happened in gunfights as well as on the range is the short cycling of the trigger which will give the appearance of being locked up as you pull the trigger. Happened to me the other day for the first time while doing rapid fire (I'm glad it did so now I have the experience). Of course easy to fix, just release the trigger fully. However, in the heat of the moment, unless you've mentally rehearsed the remedy before hand, you might continue to pull and pull that trigger to no avail. As far as any others, you might have to use the revolver as a club if you can't get out of there.

If a revolver "Jams" Something is broken, etc you are generally out of the fight unless you have another gun. Keep in mind that the fight will be over in seconds.

All my SD handguns (as well duty handgun) are 2nd strike capable. So my failure drill is S.T.A.R.S.

Squeeze
Tap
Assess
Rack
Squeeze

The "assess" step is a simultaneous glance as I draw back the slide to see if a FTE/double-feed is the source. If so, I could rack the slide all day and not clear the jam.

The way I look at it is my odds of being in a gunfight are miniscule. The odds of my revolver failing during that gunfight are so small I don't loose any sleep worrying about it.

I keep a fire extinguisher in case I need it. I don't keep an extra in case it fails. (Hate to admit, but it's been over a year since I verified the one I have is pressured up and the hose is okay. :( I'll have to take care of that when I get home....)

Of course, there are usually other ways to put out a fire just like there are usually other ways to get out of trouble.

Hey Fella's

For myself...

When carrying in possible harms way

A service sized pistol or revolver with at least one reload, and usually a second small revolver/pistol with it's own reload. My theory is in case of a malfunction of my pistol. TAP-RACK-BANG drill... That fails drop the mag and insert my spare. And TAP-RACK-BANG. A complete malfunction then transition to the second gun. If carrying a revolver ... well I've only had a revolver malfinction once, and that was my fault. But with a revolver I'd probably transition to the second revolver before I'd re-load.

When carrying within my own comfort zone

I carry one small revolver, or pistol with at least one reload.

Perhaps my experiences have made me somewhat paranoid, or overly sensitive to dangers both real and imaginary. My philosophy is that doo-doo happens when and were you least expect it. And the people who bring the doo-doo may not look like I expect them to.

Glenn Dee

I would definately go for the 2nd weapon first and then back to the one that needs attention later on if I had a problem while shooting one in self-defense. In my case it would be two revolvers, and we're talking pretty much no time at all to use either one.

Back