cleaning the brass on 1858 revolver

...thinking of putting it my sonic cleaner but can't get the barrel off. any suggestions? Can I soak it in vinegar with the barrel on, will the vinegar discolor the barrel?

Skip the vinegar and Simple Green and just use Dawn Dish Soap in your sonic cleaner.

Well I got it all cleaned and back together. I used gun scrub to clean the inside where the working parts go and then gave it a light coat of rem gun lube oil. It looks ok but it is just a wall hanger I don't think I will shoot it because there is quite a bit of play in the cylinder. May check that out later. Thanks for all of the good help. Walt

More on struck-bright vs. blued Enfields:

Good read. I have read that story about the soldier saying the commander made them remove it in one of my books. My Enfield made in 61 has a brown patina on all exposed surfaces but the bottom of the barrel where it's covered by wood is blued.

I can tell you that if you take an antique pistol and polish the brass on it you will have just lowered the value of the gun. The brass on a gun should be cleaned with soap and water and then oiled the same as the rest of the metal parts. The patina that forms on the brass is part of its history. Keep it clean and lightly oiled and let the patina grow.

The military still expects you to present yourself with your brass and steel polished and shiny but not your gun. It is presented clean, lightly oiled and ready for use. If the weapon is presented completely clean and free of oil they will call you on it. If it is "wet" with oil you will be called on it. If the gun is meant to be a perfectly preserved show piece then it can be lacquered and put behind glass. The brass will still gain a patina and it will be left to do so.

Back