Cleaning Rod Controversy

is that because the edge is worn or because the very thin cutting edge is bent from use?

Your name seems to suggest you know the correct answer (assuming there is only one) to your question? Please let us know.

As a mechanic I see rubber seals cut grooves into hardened crankshafts, axle shafts and the like all the time.

What is occurring is the seal oil interface with its carrying of grit suspended in the oil is wearing the shaft.

If the seal was doing it, it would be gone and you would have oil spewing everywhere.

Seal is the wrong term though its common usage. There is always a fluid interface (or its torn apart)

GI rifle barrels are/were routinely replaced due to wear from cleaning rods, especially in those rifles that must be cleaned from the muzzle. I have seen many M1 rifle and M1 Carbine barrels worn so badly at the muzzle from cleaning rods that accuracy was gone. It may take thousands of strokes, but it will happen and anyone who says it can't is simply ignorant.

Jim

Bored GI with steel rods from the front I do not doubt,

Someone cleaning from the back with a modern rod be it aluminum, brass or glass, plastic coated cleaning from the back with reasonable care no.

There is a point where theory and reality collide. The trick I think is to understand where that point is.

Maybeeeeeee it's better to not clean the bore at all :p less work, more time to shoot and the real plus is you don't need to waste rounds as a fouling shot. :D

I have been using the Otis cleaning system with the coated pull through cable. It does the job for me.

Back