Cleaning jag broke

There is a little gadget auto mechanic's use these days on rusted grease Zerk like fittings which are non-replaceable. Its a needle looking greasing device outfitted with a small brass coupler. And is possible to mount such tool on a Pews manual/pumping automotive grease gun.

Another alternative>When T/C marketed their CO-2 ball discharger. T/C supplied at a additional cost. A needle like tube very similar to the Pews greasing needle. Which mated to their CO-2 Discharger and any usual size vent liner. Seen a few over the years being auctioned on EBay. That's where I purchased mine and have not had a need to use ~~yet.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0....0.cCdtPq52Twc UPPER LEFT CORNER OF PIX.

Thank you for the update and congratulations on clearing it. Be sure to use something to clean out the plastic. I've cleaned an inline that had sheets of plastic that melted in the bore.

I used a patch to big on a jag and it stuck right on the powder chamber of my flintlock, I took the touch hole out and put 5 grains ffff in and put the touch hole back in and shot it out. I held it one handed around the corner of the garage, I never did find the damn thing. eastbank.

Shooting out an obstruction is perfectly feasible (and safe) as long as only a small charge is used and the gun/barrel is pointed in a safe direction. But that is more feasible with caplocks where a drum/bolster or cleanout screw
is present which can be removed. With most flintlocks, the touchhole is drilled directly into the barrel and there is no practical way to insert enough powder do do the job. With a flintllock, it will usually be necessary (if easier methods fail) to remove the breechplug and drive out the obstruction.

While I cannot claim that there is no possibility of damaging the barrel, it is very unlikely that any pressure generated by a small powder charge would be enough to "blow up" the gun, or that an obstruction will be so tightly stuck as to raise pressures beyond what would be normal for a patched ball.

In my time as a gunsmith, I have shot out various sorts of obstructions, from both muzzle loaders and conventional firearms with no damage to either the gun or myself. It is far more likely that a barrel will be damaged by attempts to use a drill, a steel rod, or some such measure than by shooting out an obstruction, as long as the latter is done in a safe manner..

Jim

My classmate used a C02 discharger to dislodge an obstruction from his barrel. He did it inside the house and the discharged objected destroyed a vase his MIL gave his wife. Muzzle control always. It promotes marital harmony.

Oh yes !!!

My classmate used a C02 discharger
They do the job and the last obstruction I cleared, was a broken Hickory ran-rod. I went through four CO2 cylinders and finally got it out on the fifth. My work was outside and the rod, jag and patch, shattered against my foundation wall. Never did find the Jag. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I once killed one of my wife's yard ornaments dislodgeing a patched round ball from a 50cal. using the air compressor. Never could get those round balls to fire without a charge of powder underneath. :o
That did not go over well....but I did tell her she shouldn't put the ornament up next to the garage.

Last edited:
Back