Cleaning crusty old Redfield aperture sight

One thing that has not been mentioned so far is heat. I've treated old aperture sights with Kroil or with mineral spirits (The "mildest" of solvents commonly found in a hardware store). Then after a few days to allow soaking in if they are still locked up, applying heat (I'd suggest a hair dryer). I've had sights that would not yield to solvent loosen up after a bit of heating.
I have a newly acquired ultrasonic cleaner. I may try that and a Simple Green/water bath the next time.

Just curious Fisherman...what .22 target rifle? Winchester 52? Anschutz 54? Remington 40x? Inquiring minds want to know. OTOH it's really none of my business so no harm no foul if you'd rather not say.

I shot a .22 with Redfield Olympic sights using the "amber" (it was orange but we all said "amber") translucent front disk because somebody in our club read an article in the "American Rifleman" from the Ruskies that said this was the "best" front sight. Don't know if it really was or not but being young and impressionable we all switched over to it. This was in the late 1960's.

Dale, it's a seldom seen Deutschland falling block made in the 1920's or early 30's of post WWI. Franz Langenhan KLEINKALIBERBUCHSE. I've not found much online except half a dozen or so people saying they are great shooters. There is an 11mm rail on top, but I love the target aperture. It has a 28.5" barrel and the rear sight is mounted way back on the tang... huge sight radius.

The front globe has an amber bullseye insert.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of the rifle. It's neat to find out new stuff which is one of the reasons I really like this site.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures too.

Got home late last night. The weather report says expect rain for the next week. I wanted to shoot fresh shots with direct sun, but I don’t want a long wait. I’m just linking the gunbroker auction link instead. Unfortunately it does not include the aperture sight that inspired this post. Because of that it doesn’t fit into this forum as well as I would hope. I hope the moderator isn’t bothered by that.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/897995140

I love the things we’re made in this era. Well paid craftsmen used good tools and skills learned over a career. Not minimum wage workers pushing buttons on a machine or an assembly line without continuity of craft. The fit is noticeably tighter and smoother. The clicks are positive and predictable. This trigger is very nice. There definitely a place for newly manufactured pieces, but you’d pay quite a bit more today for the quality they produced in the 1930’s.

Edited to add.....I ordered a Merit Adjustable Iris that came in. What a cool piece of kit that is.

Last edited:
Back