Cleaning BP brass for reloading

A couple of the Stevens don't have the wood done in these pics (at that time). I do my own stock finishing. There was a guy that reproduced the old redish Winchester hand rubbed oil for finishing.

I did not do the Shilohs. I did design a recreation of a cartridge though. There was a cartridge called the 42-100 Wesson. I used a 45-100 case, necked down to .429 and had a mold for a Creedmore built. Because it was a historical cartridge, the folks at Shiloh built a rifle for me chambered in it. It is the only one in existence. I also have a unique, possibly only 1 of a 45-110 with a 34" round tapered barrel, for shooting long range. There are octagonal barrels though that weigh 15lbs or so (which my 110 does).

There is different equipment and different techniques for different venues.

The Stevens 44 1/2's are takedown rifles.

I used to have one of the 1886's as built by Miruku, but sold it to fund another single shot, along with the guns that I was going to shoot CAS with. I decided I liked long range precision shoot better.

The top Shiloh was sold to help pay for my daughter's wedding. The first pic, is the 42-90.

The last pic is a stock picture of a Pedersoli Competition Rifle. I have one of those also. It started life as a 45-70 but a 45-110 reamer found its way into the barrel. It is phenomenally accurate.

Don't let anyone tell you Pedersolis won't shoot. Their fit and finish is not up to the standards Shiloh does, but they don't hold a candle to anyone in the accuracy department.

I have a set of Montana Vintage Arms long range soule sights on it. Without doing any load development, just throwing a load together, it would shoot 3" at 200 yards.

I am going to list it for sale soon, so if anyone is in the market, it will be a complete package, rifle, sights, brass (Norma) and a mold.

The rifles with recoil pads are my wife's and daughter's rifles. They have a barrel in 38-55 and 38-70 (not 38-72) I worked up a cartridge based on .405 brass without the bottleneck of the original cartridge.

There is a reason why I like and use shiney brass :)

364339362.jpg

299611370.jpg

294785003.jpg

299611374.jpg

299857281.jpg

Last edited:
there is a probably a little bit of OCD also involved also about the shiney perfect brass.

also what other folks do. most of the folks I shoot with all tumble their brass in a wet tumbler. you conform to the game. CAS folks dress and shoot, the long range folks I know build precise, good looking loads.

Here is the Pedersoli.

374045305.jpg

there is a probably a little bit of OCD also involved also about the shiney perfect brass.

Methinks more than a little, just sayin. FWIW I don't shiny up my bp brass either. Yeah it's prettier shiny but pretty doesn't shoot any better.

However, I do shoot 200 yard groups that you can cover with a silver dollar, so I must be doing something right.

And it is just not me either. Everyone that I know in the BPCR world tumbles their brass in a Thumler's Tumbler. Buffalo Arms carries them along with replacement parts.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=thumler's+tumbler&category=All

How do you think I found out about them ? The friend of mine that got me into BPCR tumbled his brass.

And as I said, with stained brass, you can't tell the color for annealing with a torch.

Each to their own.

Back