Cleaning and finishing 1858

Thanks for the advice.

Like I said, Hawg, I probably won't be able see the front sight anyway lol. I think most guns designed for battle, even modern ones, are sighted for longer distances. Just my thought - may not be acuurate.

I suspect the 1858 reprise weren't made with a standard cap size in mind. Or are they normally one or the other?

Remington #10 seem to be about the best fit for most. I prefer CCI as I get a lot of Remington's with missing compound. I do have a couple that take #11 tho.

Guess I'll pick up some #10 and check if the fit. Pity the nipples aren't marked somehow - or can the be measured with a gauge?

Cleaaning and finishing 1858

I use .454 balls but I use even .457. Little more effort to shave excess lea but it gives a heavier loaded bullet and long bearing surface in the lands. I use two to three lubed wads. 30 grains of Triple Seven isn't too much in an 1858 army, if it is steel.
I've had chain fire from nipple end. Bad nipples not even or level.
Replaced with stainless. There ar some super hard super durable nipples listed, on the Internet but haven't ordered them to try.

CCI caps will not "stretch" as easily as Remington, if you use a push stick of some type 10s will fit quite a few. Having said that I remember that Euro Arms have short cones. I had one with worn nipples that I would file just a bit off each cap to use Rem.#10s before I put new nipples on it.

Might take a stroll down Bass Pro shop or Cabelas tomorrow to see about supplies, then. I appreciate the steady supply of information.

Back