Cleaning and finishing 1858

rfalcon

Don't know if anyone's interested, but I thought I post photos of the cleaning and refinishing process for my 1858. After disassembly, my only concern is some of the screw threads seem a bit worn. Don't know if I can replace them, or just add loctite as I reassemble.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 75
Cleaned the finish from the cylinder, and did an initial polish of it and the trigger guard. The cylinder has a dark corrosion spot I'm not certain if I can media blast out. Maybe just have to do a black finish to hide it. Worked the sharp edges of the hammer marks from the cylinder a bit. Needs some more work, but slow and easy...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 63
I'm still kind of messing, to figure out what I want to do. Cleaned, oiled and reassembled it, just to prove to myself I could. Made a template for new grips. Have some wood I'd like to use, but the stock (of wood) isn't wide enough.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 39
So I spent time reblueing the cylinder to see how it would take.

The rust spot is still visible but doesn't jump out at you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 45
Yes, keep them coming. I like threads like this. You really should go touch her off a time or two. Then you will REALLY have the bug, trust me.

Well - grabbed a piece of 1/2 in thick oak baseboard from the scraps bin, fired up the bench sander, and started shaping a handgrip. Wasn't doing too bad until I accidental/y sanded off the small cutoff at the top of the backstrap. Oh well. Wondering how I can convince my wife I really need a benchtop jigsaw...

Probably should. Watched a few videos the loading process. Seems within my limited skill set lol. Do people still grease the end of the cylinder to prevent a chain fire after loading if they're using the wonderpads? I've seen it done both ways...

On initial attempts, since I have no mentor on the scene (can probably find one at the sportsman association) I'd probably be more comfortable with the 'safe than sorry' motto.

You don't need lube over the ball with wads. Neither way is specifically to avoid chain fires but they do work for that if you have a chamber that's out of round or the balls are too hard etc. Some say that powder can get crushed between a ball and chamber and make a path for fire to get to the main charge and I believe that. Some say chains come from the nipple end but I don't believe that at all. I mostly use wads but if you decide to go with over ball lube something like Crisco will work but it gets really runny in summer heat. I use a beeswax/olive oil(or Crisco mix. You do not need to pack the end of the chambers full. All that's going to do is blow all over the gun and make a mess. Just a little around the edge of the ball is all you need. The lube is to keep fouling soft.

As far as "the little ring of lead" that should be sheared off when seating the ball I have one gun that has a chamfer to the chambers and swedges the ball in tight. I think .454 balls are your best bet.

Powder and charge weight to go with those .454 ball? Please...

Biggest problem is going to be seeing that thin sight blade lol. May put a wad of chewing gum on top...

Powder would be 3F or equivalent altho 2F will work just fine. I use 30 grains but most will give you weak numbers like 18-22 for best accuracy. I don't punch paper and as long as I can hit Coke cans at 25 yards more often than not I'm happy. With the original height front sight it's going to hit high, very high unless you're shooting at 75 yards or so. :D

Powder by volume

1.) Start with 20 grains by volume and go up until you lose accuracy. You will find what the pistol likes.

2.) I agree with Hawg in that lube is not necessary if you use wads.

3.) I hate to say this because it will open a can of worms but, I don't think it's impossible for a chain fire to happen from the nipple end. In fact, I think it's much more probable to happen from a poorly fitting cap. (I could be out to lunch here but would rather err on the side of caution). Far too many guys use caps that don't fit properly, "pinch them" etc. and that being said, I've never had a chain fire. (Knock on wood).

4.) This is not necessary, but when I get a new pistol and before I even fire it, I replace the nipples with AMPCO/Treso nipples that use a #11 cap. This way, everything I own uses the same caps. They fit TIGHT on the nipple and I have no problems.

5.) This being said, 1.) I don't have to monkey around and remember what pistol uses what size cap. 2.) I LOVE shooting my BP firearms. When I do have the opportunity, I grab my stuff and go. Everything is the same.

6.) I am doing it properly to the best of my ability and knowledge including safety.

7.) I love this (sport?) and could care less what it costs me to have fun doing something I love doing.

This is the best advice I can muster. Everyone here is neither right or wrong but you will hear their opinion!

All the best to you gentleman,

Birch

Back