cleaning a revolver after a day at the range

I USED TO, BUT NOW I DON'T

If I have the time to clean them I have the time to shoot them.

I'd rather be shooting......

My car is dirty, too.
Don't ask about my wife.

I've got the time to eat and brush my teeth.
I've got the time to drive and wash my car.
I've got the time to take a dump and wipe my...

All this while holding an eight hour job! :eek:

And still be there for my wife and kids!! :eek::eek:

And still go fishing once a month!!! :eek::eek::eek:

So I figure that if I've got the time to shoot, I've also got the time to clean my guns.

Damn!... how I wish I were a lazy-a$$ ;)

Rickmeister-

No flame intended or implied; just noticed your schedule.

WISH I had the luxury of an "eight hour job".;)

(Bare mnimum 50 hrs wk on the clock.:( )

gun cleaning

I shoot 44 mag out of a S&W 44 mag revolver. I clean with a 1 inch piece of leadaway cloth soaked with copper solvent and I include the cylinder face using a chisled wooden dowel. Works like a charm.
Herb

WISH I CARED

Only care about function; don't care about 'dirty' or 'looks'.

Unless I'm getting dirty looks...........

Wish I was lazy, too, but I'm too busy to find the time to be lazy.

Nickel finish High Standard Sport King.
Case Hardened frame of Virginia Dragoon.
Colt Pocket Police .36 cal muzzel loader.
Ted Willams brand Winchester 94.

Sport King-pitted backstrap-left it for a week before cleaning.

Dragoon-rusted case hardened frame-left it for a week before cleaning.

Winchester-pitted finish-improper storage and handleing.

Colt-pile of rusted metal-not cleaned for months after use (not my fault directly since I loaned it to someone and this is how it was returned).

I've ruined four otherwise perfectly beautiful gun finishes simply by being careless. I won't make the same mistakes again. Each gun gets a wipedown at the range, followed by a good cleaning when I get home.

I agree with Weshoot2, I do the same now as I've done for the last 20+ years, when I'm done shooting, I put them in the case, take them home and put them either in the safe or slide the case under the bench. The only cleaning I ever do with my revolvers is when the cylinder gets a bit hard to turn I take it out and clean out the pin hole and drop a couple drops of Rem oil in it. I shoot only jacketed bullets in my Freedom Arms 44, Ruger SSK 44 SBH and my Python. Accuracy has never been a problem, still can hit 4" circles at 240 yards with them. If I got caught out in the rain I might wipe it off with the Silicon cloth but that's still about it.

Maybe if I had to carry a gun every day for protection I might check it a bit more often but I really think that some take the cleaning a bit to extremes. I will occasionally wipe them with a silicon cloth if I feel like making it shiny. Maybe because I'm usually out shooing every few days it might make a difference. A lot of my shooting buds always make fun of me and my cleaning habits but theirs don't shoot any better becaue theirs are clean, if fact usually after a barrel is cleaned I'll guarantee you that your first shot will not hit where the second or third shot will. I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this issue but it's what I do and it's worked for me. I view all my guns as tools, they are made to use but I don't abuse them. I don't think a clean tool is a happy tool, mine seem perfectly content to look like they are used. They'll let me know when something isn't right and then I'll do what is necessary to make them happy again. Interesting posts though... nice to see how others take care of their guns.

I know I've posted it before but I'll include a link to a pic, this was shot with my Freedom Arms 44, I've NEVER cleaned the barrel of this gun and that is after many thousands of rounds of 240 XTP's and silhouette bullets fired thru it. Never know though, it might shoot even better if it was cleaned... guess I'll never know...

Topstrap

Freedomgroup.jpg

I consider My guns as precission insturments and they get cleaned that night , ussually my friends And I have a little cleaning party (I ussually wind up cleaning their guns ) But like what bountyh said I would be embarased If I died and my heirs opened up my safe and found my toys dirty, Heck I b*tch at the gun shop when I look at a used gun that was not cleaned, now he charges a fee if the gun comes in dirty and cleans them up , found out clean guns sell faster, I have gotten compliments about my guns when I bring them in to the smith to have some work done , people think they are new, till I tell them ,alot of people don't know how to clean there guns or care too.

".....SO I TOOK THEM OUT OF THE SAFE......"

...and even my hardchroned Witness was rusting LOL.

I cleaned up a couple of the worst offenders, and those are the ones (yes, I'll just use one) for competing today.

FACT: The CZ 75-type is without question a superb military/combat design.

Gunbrite - available at Wal-Mart - works great on cylinder faces and barrels. Caution - will produce a chrome like polish on the exterior surfaces if you use it there.

Weshoot - I like my carry guns to be spotless, range guns are on a much more relaxed schedule.

Giz

clean freak

I shot my MKII yesterday...I had some errands to do after so I decided I wouldn't clean it till next time.......I woke up at 1 am and cleaned it.........I need medication...............:D

Beauty, form, and function all work hand in hand. I say get out the Hoppes's and get to scrubbing. On a serious note. If one does not want to clean their gun after every trip, shoot far it is their gun. SS

Back