Cleaning a Nickel Plated 70s Colt Python

I stand corrected. Nickel is not ferrous. It is magnetic.
I stand by my statements about cleaning nickel plated guns.
& I'll stand by mine.....
Sometimes you just have a slip of the old mind & stuff happens....
Why risk having that stuff turn bad if you don't have to?

Take a look at the logic and analysis for Ed's Red:

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I have gallons of GI bore cleaner, Mil C 872. It does not remove copper. This DTIC document is interesting in its discussion of cleaners, powder residue.

Improved Rifle Bore Cleaner 1972

www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/748807.pdf

Use something that is not a copper remover. You can mix up your own following Ed's Red that will remove powder fouling. You can use JB bore paste if you get copper fouling, that will mechanically remove the stuff.

I have heard that Ballistol can harm nickel plating. I do not know that to be fact.
As I said, the only way Hoppes could possibly hurt nickel plating is if you soaked the gun in it for a considerable length of time.
I consider it a non-issue.

I have heard that Ballistol can harm nickel plating. I do not know that to be fact.

Ballistol is probably the least aggressive of all the products made for cleaning guns. As I said earlier, it is not as aggressive as most modern solvent type cleaners. It took much more elbow grease for me to clean a 1911 with Ballistol than it does with Hoppes #9.

Ballistol is best suited for use with Black Powder. It removes Black Powder fouling better than most modern solvents that are formulated for Smokeless Powder.

This keyboard commando has used Ballistol on a 135 year old nickel plated S&W New Model Number Three for years with no ill effects.

I have heard that Ballistol can harm nickel plating.
Welll...let's ask them then and see what they say...

https://ballistol.com/faqs/

IS BALLISTOL SAFE ON NICKEL/CHROME/GOLD LEAF?
Yes! Ballistol is safe on all metals when used as directed. There is the potential with any creeping oil to “lift” metals plated by electrolysis, but our product is simply not capable of deteriorating these metals. We recommend when using Ballistol on electro-plated metals (gold leaf, nickel, chrome, etc.) to wipe off any excess Ballistol after cleaning. Ballistol should not be used on these surfaces if they are scratched or damaged.

Looks like Ballistol has about the same cautions as Hoppe's.
"when used as directed, wipe off excess, no scratches."
They are using an incorrect term. Gold leaf is not a plated surface. It's a thin gold foil that is glued to a surface. I'm sure they mean gold plating.

Sort of - - but -- Ballistol comes right out and says "Yes, it can be used".

That puts it all on them if things go sideways.

The OP asked about cleaning an extremely expensive Colt Python.

I'm sorry, but, I'd feel responsible if something went sour for him - based on something I recommended.
I try to answer questions like this with something that's as foolproof as I know - that will also do a reasonable job.

I'm confident enough in my statement that I don't worry about feeling responsible.
The old wive's tale about Hoppe's and nickel has been perpetrated for far too long.
I was around when the whole mess started. In the 1960s-1970s there were all sort of cheap "bumper plating shop" chromed and nickeled guns-many were gussied-up WW2 bring backs that were badly plated in these shops. The plating was going to flake anyway on these guns. Hoppe's was the most popular solvent. Combine bad, cracked/flaking plating with improper cleaning (soaking) and the blame goes to Hoppe's.

Back