Cleaning a dented/greasy stock - anyone try this?

IIRC it takes about 150 F to melt out the cosmoline .Somewhere on the internet there is a plan to make an oven from garbage cans [metal] with a few lightbulbs in it for the heat. The rest was taken of with solvent I think.

Be safe with the cosmoline rags!

Hey I forgot to add something: Be careful how you dispose of those paper towels or rags that you use to wipe off most of the cosmoline or grease! They are a fire hazard (as are most oil and grease soaked rags) due to their ability to spontaneously ignite (has nothing to do with heat - they'll do it in a trash can as well).

I take mine out to a recreational fire pit we have in the back yard and burn them. Obviously they go up real nice with all of that grease! Toxic smoke no doubt, so don't get creative and roast any bratwursts or marshmallows in the fire while you're overseeing it. :p

Be safe,
Oly

Spontaneous combustion is not the ubiquitous boogeyman we've all been taught. It takes a specific combination of components and circumstances, not just "oily rags in a trash can". Most oils/greases have too high an ignition or pyrolitic temperature, and anything stored in a covered trash can wouldn't ignite due to lack of oxygen.

Linseed oil on cotton rags piled on top of one another is a common example, but that's a specific chemical in a specific condition.

Last edited:
My reply wasn't very nice so I've removed it. I'll simply say that I think that the wisdom of disposing of these chemicals with caution for the environment and family safety is obvious and I'll leave it at that.

Oly

Last edited:
olyinaz's concern is the correct concern to have with disposing these chemicals. DO dispose of these hazardous materials correctly. Remember: Certain oils and chemicals can do a number on the environment, as well as pose the small risk of fire.

Check with your local dump, your trash pickup company, and city to ensure you are not in violation of waste disposal laws, and minimize the risk of fire.

rub a dub dub

The good wife lets me buy guns on a pretty regular basis, but I would not want to run an old mil stock through her dishwasher!

I've had good luck w/ 5gal bucket of water, regular laundry detergent, and a scrub brush. Two or three sessions and the stocks I've cleaned up look fine.

Plunk the stock in and start scrubin'. Swap ends and do it some more.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

Back