cleaning 38spl / 357 brass (inside) for reloading

No. It is not necessary { to clean inside of case }, and, its not even useful. The only "inside" part I clean is the inside of the primer pocket, and that's not necessity, just habit.

Your ammo doesn't need to be shiny clean. Looks nice when it is, but it doesn't NEED to be. All it needs to be is smooth and free of "contamination" meaning dust, dirt, corrosion, or anything else that could act as an abrasive, or interfere with chambering.
I agree. Never have cleaned the 'inside' other than what it gets if and when I (dry walnut) tumble the brass. None of my revolver cases hit the ground. They go from box to gun and back again. So I only clean the brass when I feel it is about time (subjective) which may be several reloads later. I used to do primer pockets, but then found that my reloads work no different whether I do or I don't... So I don't. I do believe it is a personal thing.

Last edited:
I don't believe I've ever cleaned the cases on the inside other than tumble them with crushed walnut shells and a couple squirts of "Turtle Wax" spray. Been doing that for over 40+ years. No problems with ammo
Working as it should. Keep it simple.

Back