Citadel M1 Carbine .22 LR

I finally gathered up the new Citadel M1-22 along with a few ARs, handguns and my son-in-law and 11 year old grandson and we all had a great time shooting up the desert. The little M1 Carbine reproduction in .22lr performed like a champ! One magazine had feeding issues but my five other magazines kept the rifle busy peppering plastic bottles and beer cans.

We put over 300 rounds of Federal valuepak through the Citadel with about 10 malfunctions, 5 due to the bad magazine. The other five malfunctions that I blame on the rifle were two misfeeds and three light strikes. All ten rounds fired after a second try. Chiappa recommends using 1200 fps ammo but the slower Federal cycled fine and locked the bolt back on the magazine follower after each last round. With the sights at mechanical zero we were hitting pop cans at 30 yards. It was windy so we didn't try to do a real zero on paper targets. I marked the bad magazine and will check it out later.

Anyway, we all loved the little rifle. All six firearms we took worked fine but the Citadel was the most fun. It looks so much like a real M1 Carbine but is so much cheaper to shoot. I know Chiappa is hit or miss and the first production of this Citadel M1-22 was recalled but they got it right with this redesign. The wood stock was drab out of the box but a coat of Tung oil brought out the grain and it actually looks pretty good now. For about $244 out the door I'd say it's a winner!

I just picked up a Plainfield made in the 60's.
It's assembled from GI parts.

There are differences from the GI. No Bayonet lug is the tip off.

AFS

You can get a .30 cal commercial carbine for $400 any day of the week.
So I don't have to worry about where I put that ammo can of .30 carbine.
Once I've shot the center-fire version a few times I don't get a lot of joy out of random shooting at the range. Much cheaper .22s out of a scaled copy does the job just as well for me.

I'd also find it hard to trust a range in the lane next to me with a GI carbine. In the case of my .22 copies I am much less worried and in the case of my carbine copy might come out ahead if they drop or steal it.

Recently I took my Citadel M1-22 carbine to the range for some trigger time. I haven’t shot it much in the last few years.

Using standard velocity .22 it would not feed the last round out of the magazine if the magazine was loaded with 10 rounds. Using CCI mini mags, it was 100%.

Seems like a guy can get a .22 LR version of darn near any popular platform made over the last hundred years or so.
Not a fan of fussy eaters among my .22's. The 10/22 platform is hard to beat in that respect. Hard enough to find any .22 never mind specific brands for fussy eaters.
I was disappointed in Ruger .22 pistols, my Mk. 2 went away replaced with a Mk. 3. Once I ridded it of the loaded chamber indicator it has settled down. It's getting a hammer bushing and a fluff and buff today, then perhaps a range trip. My Mk. 2 was the better and more accurate gun.

I was almost a fan of the Ruger 10/22 M1 Carbine copy but the picatinny scope rail really turns me off. I ended up replacing the cheezmo plastic barrel band on my standard 10/22 with a nice one from Pike and added a Williams receiver sight kit. I know it's not an M1 but it sure is a nice little rifle in it's own right and resembles the M1, kinda like the profile of my MkII standard model and the Luger. Sexy on the cheap!;)

Back