Cimarron Dragoon

Now the wait begins... I just purchased this Uberti / Cimarron 1848 3rd Model Dragoon. It should show up at the door step Monday. I almost went with a Walker this time but this Dragoon just jumped out at me. The Walker will be next on the short list I'm sure.

This Dragoon looks to be so nice I'll almost hate to take it out and fire it but then again....... ah what the heck. That's what their made for. :D :cool:

wm_598616.jpg

This is my first open top so It will be a new experience for me too. I'll report back after the first outing but I won't be able to resist another photo post when it arrives.

This black powder is getting addicting but I knew that before I even started but I can't resist.

Yep i know what you mean:cool:
i have bin smokeing bp for about 15 years now
and still loveing it.
I am one of these do it yourself gadget makers
i have made allsorts of things that go with bp shooting
i even made my owen loader for my remmys and so on, anyway
glad you are haveing fun, any Qs there are lots of helpfull guys
on this forum who are willing to help.:D shoot safe.

Cimarron good

I have two Cimarrons I picked up second hand. A pocket Navy and a 58 Remington. They do seem to have much better bluing, finish and wood than my Piettas. I handled a Dragoon last week -- you'll have to get a horse to tote it around. ;-)

Have some fun.

Last edited:
I've found in a slim jim holster worn crossdraw their not hard to carry in the field at all. I also found with a three sided file theres plenty of hammer to sight in dead on. Good luck

OH my lord:eek:.
I want one, ok when are you takeing it out
for a test run, and keep us informed, hey bet you feel
like a kid in a candy store. Hope you wiil have lots of
fun with that new smoke pole.;):p:D

Now you know why my brother has claimed my Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon as his own.
Man is she a bute & I bet as fine a shooter as can be, if you have a way of checking chamber diameter I'd do that because mine is the whole reason I use a .457 Ball ".4525 - .453 chambers in my 20 year old beast."

Range report is certain to follow. Unfortunately I'm battling a tooth ache and won't get it fixed till Monday. If this settles down I'll get the gun out tomorrow to the range.

Nothing better than the new gun smell :cool:

Good on ya Straight-Shooter!
A beauty of a Horse Pistol...Got a Colt 1st model Signature myself a great model and holds alot a powder.:D

SG

I just returned from the range and what a blast, literally. The dragoon certainly barks with authority! Nice low deep loud boom! I fired rounds from 25 yards and aimed low to hit near center. Only flaw is the loading lever like on the Walker dropped after every shot. I was using 46 grains of Goex FFF.

Certainly alot of fun and I'm sure to return to the range for another go around. This outing I fired 30 shots total. Here are two of the targets that were used.

Target02_web.jpg

Target01_web.jpg

Straight-Shooter, glad you like your new smoker:cool:
tell me is there anyway that you can fix that loading
lever from droping down after a shot?, that is what puts
me of spending cash on a walker they are know for that
prob, does that slot need a file to it, can you let us know
if you can come up with a solution, i would like to buy one
but it would drive me nuts after evry shot the lever droped.:confused:

I read on a forum that a guy actually just leaves the screw to the loading lever snug and loads the balls. Then he removes it before shooting. I don't think I would go that route but filing the slot deeper on the spring loaded catch may do the trick. Although I really hate to modify this beauty.

Personally I didn't find it to much of a hassle at all to just raise the lever back into position. It actually give me pause between each shot to also check that a fired cap didn't get caught between the nipple and frame. I developed a habit of just tilting the gun backwards and to the right side to eject any fired cap that may be still between the nipple.

No matter what long rider, get one of these guns! They are a hoot to shoot and talk about BOOM!!! :D ;)

Back