choosing a 300 win mag

Not to confuse you with more options. My buddy was just gifted a ruger american in 30-06. I have been very impressed with it. They went to a 3 point 1 piece bolt. Smooth and a tack driver at 100. I havent shot it farther yet.

Howa/Wby Vanguard
I've had two of the Howa 300WM and both were exceptionally accurate. The current one has a muzzle brake as a consolation to my aging joints.
I'll tell you flat out that it takes a much moretalented shooter to get good groups with a hunting weight 300 mag than with a 308 or 30/06. Recoil becomes a big factor and recoil attenuation even bigger. I used to shoot a 300WM target rifle and have seen what happens when the shooter fails to hold exactly the same for each shot.

I have a SS winchester 70 classic with a boss. I got it new when the classics first came out (don't remember the year). It and an older browing A bolt are the only two sporters that I have never changed a thing on since new. It might be just the nature of the 300 win mag because I have never seen one that would not shoot. But mine cuts holes in holes and holds POI like a custom rifle.....I sure hope they are still making this rifle.

I seem to be hearing that the Savage has the reputation for most accurate out of the box. would y'all agree?

Short answer, yes- I would.
Team USA won the F-TR World Championship, which included shooters from Team Savage a few years ago shooting bone stock Model 12's..
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/08/savage-f-tr-team-world-beaters-on-a-budget/

All the other suggestions are good...the 700, W'by Vanguard/Howa, Tikka (Lite).

Thing is, these days- minute of angle accuracy is pretty much the standard for even entry level rifles. I've yet to read anything other than a very positive review on the Ruger American- and that's a rifle that costs only a bit over $300 and if what I read is true, they all seem to shoot to that standard. To add- I'd stay away from the Savage Axis as they don't seem to be as consistent with out-of-the box accuracy, and the Rem 770 has some haters...

So, while the Ruger isn't available in .300 WM (it is in .06, though...) it would be pretty hard to justify (logically!) spending more for a "typical" hunting application, IFFFF customization isn't a consideration.

So, if you're really sure you would never want to customize your rifle...no aftermarket trigger, stock, or barrel - then why spend more than necessary? I'd put the extra money towards the optic- which is where most guys tend to "cheap out"- and a higher end optic can always be moved to a more expensive rifle if you ever get the itch to "move up".

But honestly, if I understand you correctly, this is your first rifle outside of the milsurp. While you believe you won't want to customize now, there's always a chance that mindset might change.

If it does, why not have a rifle that'll allow you to do that (aka the Savage or 700), for not much more up front expense.

Do not spend your money until you've looked at a Sako Grey Wolf 300mag. Sako's are the best out of the box rifles sold in this country, IMO!

I bought a Browning A-Bolt lefthand .300 Win Mag many years ago from a dealer at a gun show that had already sold the same model in 7mm Rem Mag. I hunt only with handloads. My A-bolt has taken 3 elk with one shot each at short to moderate range. The best shot, however, was a heart shot on a 120-130 lb black bear in the Bob Marshall Wilderness at more than 400 yards. The rifle is consistently MOA or better with the right handloads. BUT, one is not a large enough sample to to evaluate quality. I would not be reluctant to buy a Remington 700, Winchester 70, Ruger 77 or virtually any other bolt action rifle of equal or higher price. And, while I don't like the appearance of a black synthetic stock and a stainless steel action and barrel, I prefer SS and a synthetic stock for rugged hunting terrain.

Think I would be looking at a .300 WSM rather than a .300 win mag. The .300 Short ultra mag even a bit more preferred.

Do you handload? Is barrel life important to you? The more powder you burn the faster goes your throat and accuracy. The SAUM is the most efficient magnum velocity ctg, although some will tout the WSSM case. A SAUM in a Remington Model 7 if you want lightweight and compact would be very fine.

The primo magnum target/tactical rifle these days is, to my mind, the FN-Herstal in .300 wsm. A winchester 70 is comparable, but not made with chrome-lined barrel.

A .30-06 Ackley Improved will deliver velocities approaching magnum levels IF you are using heavy bullets. The .30/284 wildcat will duplicate the .30-06 in a smaller more compact case and in a long action will allow much bullet seating flexibility.

The .300 Win mag has a short neck and the belt which can be overcome by having gunsmith set the barrel forward so headspace is on the neck.

Barrel life of the .30-06 should last into 5000+ rds. Do the AI chamber and your brass will last longer and you get a bit more power. The .284 case has the .35 degree neck which gives the long brass life. In a world where custom dies were not an extra expense, and .284 win brass easy to come by, I think the .30/284 is the ticket. Magnums get their power from mucho powder and if you get barrel life over 1000rds you are doing very well.

The short magnums are as efficient as the traditional jobs. No, they won't duplicate the .30-378 or anything larger if velocity is your only goal. I would study the loading manuals carefully before deciding. May as well get all the benefits you can when you pay your money....

Good Luck!

Not interested in the smaller cal. at this time, pretty sold on the 300 win mag although I will consider the WSM, especially with that comment about reloading being easier.

I don't know if you've ever shot a .300 Mag before; if not, I do suggest shooting one before you purchase.

My traditional favorite rifle is the Ruger M77 but I would look hard at a Savage if buying one now. They have a reputation for being very accurate.

Think I would be looking at a .300 WSM rather than a .300 win mag. The .300 Short ultra mag even a bit more preferred.

I thought that way for awhile but I've slowly changed my mind for one reason.

I have friends that hunt with WSM and they complain about trying to find ammo.

Another friend pointed out to me that if something goes wrong on a hunt, you can usually find .300 win mag at the closest country store. The odds of finding the shorter magnums are slim.

The old win mag has been around long enough to be fairly common and it does the job. Based on that, I'd lean towards it for hunting

The new Hornady loads in 30-06 push it up into the low magnum range.

Target shooting you can shoot the lower loads and extend barrel life.

30-06 is the single most versatile round out there and still can do the job a 30 caliber magnum can. Certainly has done the harder job in Grizzly over the years as well. Not a first choice but fully capable.

Lot less to shoot and ammo is the most wide spread

Back