choices, choices. which is the better mosin?

maze.rodent

pretty simple, i had decided that i really want a mosin-nagant, it being the only gun my rapidly-evaporating funds will allow. so i was at the local pawn shop, and they had a 1936 "hex" receiver mosin, non-matching SN, for $150. decent fit n' finish, but really rough bolt. at the big 5, however, there was a '43 was surplus round receiver mosin, not great fit n' finish, dings in the stock, very prominent machining marks, etc. it did, however, come with the full accessory kit, matching SN, plus it had a smoother bolt.

i've already decided, but wondered, which would you buy?

The hex receiver for no other reason than them being slightly more desirable due to it being a bit nicer looking. Some believe that a hex receiver is stronger, but thats bull. Other then the difference between the receivers finish there isnt a lick of difference between the two as far as functionality or accuracy.

At this price point buy the one with the better bore.

Big 5 also runs the Serbian M24/47 8mm Mauser 98s on sale frequently for $199. The last one I grabbed has a bore that's like new and cleaned up really nice. Ammo is more expensive but they sure are nice rifles.

Regards,
Oly

I second buying the one with the best bore.
There are no after market barrels for these rifles that I know of.
If both Barrels are equil, I would pick the one with the smoothest action.
If you could Fork out an extra $100 Dollars look at these, they are the best Mosin Rifles Made.
WWW.GunsnAmmo.Com

the bores are about equal, and i chose the '43. smoother bolt, better price, more accessories. i havent done any formal shooting, but it blasts cans and bottles with enough accuracy.

Maze Rodent

I bought one off the link I posted above, and had it shipped to my house for less than $250, You can pick one out that suits you.
There is a nice looking one on there now for $209, she cant charge you tax, only shipping, shipping on that rifle is $25 dollars, so you could have that rifle for $234 thats cheaper than most .22 rimfires at Walmart.:D

go back to Big 5, and ask if they have others in the back. i'm betting they have some different ones to choose from.

...they had a 1936 "hex" receiver mosin, non-matching SN, for $150. decent fit n' finish, but really rough bolt. at the big 5, however, there was a '43 was surplus round receiver mosin, not great fit n' finish, dings in the stock, very prominent machining marks, etc....it had a smoother bolt.

i've already decided, but wondered, which would you buy?

Bores being equal, my first instinct would be to go with the pre-war Mosin rather then the late war. Generally speaking, the pre-war rifles have a better finish and workmanship - war-time pressures to field as many rifles as soon as possible resulted in ugly (but effective enough) fit and finish.

I'd go for the war made one too. A few dings is just proof of use ;)

Those machining marks aren't poor quality, they are a testament to hard workers putting out rugged rather than pretty rifles in order to give one more man (or woman) a better chance to help defend the motherland.

Great history with those old rifles...plus they are darn fun to shoot:D

$150 is a bit too high for a 1891/30 in not so good condition. Due to the roughness, i would not spend more than $100 on the Hex (its really an octagon) receiver...

Check your local gun shops - the ones round here carry 1891/30.

The argument that the Hex are stronger than the round... Well, the Finns used Hex receivers over round...

Agreed with TX Hunter - a M39 Finn is a much nicer firearm. And gunsnammo.com seem to be the only resilient source.

The M39, in general, are more tolerant with ammo, are accurate, and have a heavier barrel and stock.

empirearms.com is another place to look - they have M39's starting at $300, and other Finn models for a bit more.

The antique receiver Mosins can be had, which do not have to go through an FFL, and no federal background check necessary. Check your State and Local laws.

I have a round receiver 1943 Izzy - arsenal refurbished all # matching. The roughness shows the urgency to get the guns out to the front.

I have no idea if they will ever reach the States, but Tula is releasing reconditioned 91/30's, hand picked receiver, new barrel, chrome-lined with bent bolt and sniper scope reproduction into Australia. Very well done, looks great.

pelo801: i did get the one in the storage room, the display had cosmoline practically dripping from it, and a sewerpipe bore. literally no rifling left.

and yeah, the fit and finish, well, they kinda suck. but im happy with it, it just adds character.

Hmm that is too much for a 1891/30 - unless there was some special uniqueness to it. In the case of the advertisement - that is at least $150 too much...

I got a 1891/30 arsenal refurbished Excellent Condition WITH ALL the Kit you see in the picture, all 4 numbers matching, for $120 including the Federal Background Check and 9.75% sales tax... a month ago at the Murfreesboro, TN gun show.

Try elsewhere.

If you have a Big 5 or Cabela's in your area, or just your local gun shops, should have them for much less...

J&G Sales, I have heard, have a good reputation with their 1891/30's online.

Finnish Mosin: www.gunsnammo.com or www.empirearms.com

Back