Chinese Type 53 Nagant

No. I imagine that at the armory (or even at CAI), there was a crate of rifles and a bucket of bolts because everything but the bolt matches. I wasn't as interested in a matching rifle as much as having the Chinese variant to fill my meager collection.

sorry not to come off as curt I was just assuming. I ask because.....

From my understanding its rare to find a matching Chinese M/N in good shape. So if you got one keep it lol.

I would love to add a Chinese M/N to my collection honestly.

A case for Hardcase

7.62X54R and your 8x56errr should have the same bullet diameter...right....point 311...so how about finding some commie cheapo 762X54R cartridges and pull the bullets?

Bullet Size

7.62X54R and your 8x56errr should have the same bullet diameter...right....point 311...so how about finding some commie cheapo 762X54R cartridges and pull the bullets?

I don't have any problem casting my own. Unfortunately, the barrel on my M95 slugs at .313, which, I hear, is sort of common on this latest round of rifles. But my shooting time to rifle ratio skews pretty heavily to the rifle side, so I really don't shoot the Steyr enough to be too worried about the cost.

But that does seem like a good idea.

Not sure about these batches available now, but about half of the Type 53's I've run across have Russian stocks on them. I find Russian parts on them also. Last time I ordered two of them (years ago) and got one with a Russian Bolt in it and one had a chrome bore and one not. I can't remember if it was a date thing or what, but I did verify that not all were chrome bores. If you get Chu wood....good luck doing anything at all with it besides cleaning it. Only positive thing I can say about CHU wood is that is is so soft, it hardly ever cracks!

The 8X56R Hungarian round takes a nominal .329 or .330 bullet, which Grafs carries. If you could luck into the Steyr M95M Schtutzen Rifle (Looks like a carbine but has different sights), they are rebarreled for 8X57 Mauser caliber with the .323 bore. Kicks like the proverbial mule though!

Back