Chinese Coach Guns?

I bought a stoeger, I love that silly thing. Durable and easy to shoot. Points naturally. All I ever do with it is shoot silhouettes. I set a couple large targets out and tap them from a rest position, and can get them both in about a second.
Once there was a set of steel at my range, set out at 100. I decided to check it out with 00 shot rounds, just like I do at the thirty yard I normally shoot at.
I rang the steel with almost every shot. If I ever find myself with a pair of villains facing me at 100 yards I can certainly give them a boo-boo.

Yep, I've seen a few of the Stoegers. Brazilian-made and generally they got good reviews.

See, e.g.:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/1/12/stoeger-coach-gun/

Last edited:
Mine is nickle with rather nice walnut, it has laser checkering, and just in general a pretty smooth and nice gun.

Don't waste time shooting slugs. it makes a lovely noise and it's lots of fun and will probably wipe a bad guy off of the earth with a single round, but gee, it's not regulated to shoot slugs. the are not too accurate. I wondered if it would be worth getting rifled choke tubes, but again, it's just for fun. I don't think that I want to dump slugs through it in an urban setting.

I use a Norinco 97 riot gun. A lot easier to handle and holds more rounds plus it can be slam fired. It's also very dependable.

Thanks for the info about your hammer gun, Hawg. It doesn't fully answer my question but its something.

I've had a 97 (actual Winchester), not crazy about them, they bite all too easily. Good guns except for that, though.

I've got a chopped model 12 for a riot gun. Everything the 97 is, and doesn't ever bite!

Still, good as they are, they aren't coach guns. Remember where "coach gun" comes from, riding shotgun on a stagecoach!!!

This means double barrel, short, and hammers, to me. and 12 or 10ga :eek:

Although, I would love a .410 coach gun, they're just so cute! :D

I've got a chopped model 12 for a riot gun. Everything the 97 is, and doesn't ever bite!

I've got a full length model 12 my dad bought new in 53. I'm not chopping it. :D I've never been bit by my 97.

I'd prefer hammers. I know all about the Stevens 311R and the Stoegers.
Neither is safe to keep loaded by the bedside.

Huh? :confused:

The 311 models have a tang safety which engages after closing the action, so they're, ah, ya know, ... safe ... when ... loaded.

I've got a full length model 12 my dad bought new in 53. I'm not chopping it. I've never been bit by my 97.

Everybody's a little different. The hammer, and more dangerous, the sharp edges of the 97's bolt have gotten me (ONCE :rolleyes:)

On the other hand, I've NEVER been bitten by a GI stock 1911A1, but know many people who have been.

My 16th birthday present was a field grade Model 12, 30" full, bought at auction for $125. There was one other guy bidding against my dad, and that ran the price up. I didn't realize it until many years later, but that price was nearly half a month's pay for my Dad at the time. He was one of those guys who never said "I love you" in words, but we all knew. Gone now, many years, but I still miss him deeply.

One of the few stupid things I did NOT do as a teenager was chop the barrel of that model 12. Thought about it, many times, but somehow, good sense prevailed. Decades later, I found one at a gun show that someone else had cut down to just over 18" barrel. I asked for a tape measure, and as soon as I checked to be sure both the barrel and overall length were legal, bought it right away!

My birthday gun was made in the early 20s, the chopped one maybe a decade later. Barrels say "Model of 1912". Just curious, does your 1953 gun say Model of ? or just Model 12?? (I think I used to know when they changed that marking, but can no longer remember...:rolleyes:)

Supposedly the model number was changed in the middle of 1918 or 1919.

I have a 1918 that says Model of 1912. It’s all original and is going to stay that way.

Both my 1940 and 1955 say Model 12 and have riot/trench gun length 20 3/4” barrels. I use them for Wild Bunch shotguns.

I have a JW-2000 hammered coach gun. It’s a solid gun. I’ve shot it in CAS matches. Mine doesn’t like the cheap shells like Winchester Universals that you buy at Walmart in the 100 round box. The bases swell up in the cylinders and jam the extractors. Then you can’ Get the gun open. Had to take a dowel and tap them out from the muzzle end. As long as you use good brass based shells, even reloads, it never skips a beat.

I usually shoot Stoegers in CAS. We have four of those, a 12, two 20’s and a .410. My wife and daughter shoot the 20’s. The .410 was the one that my daughter started with. They are all good guns, but they’re not hammer guns.

Back