China made Lyman

Electric Furnaces

Hey floydster do ya turn it wide open until it melts the lead then turn it down ??? If ya do then they ain`t 1 on earth that will withstand it for long !!

Had Lees for yrs. & had steady problems with thermostats & elements (probably no more than usual) until I stopped turning em wide open (initially) to get the lead melted .

& my troubles lightened when I finally bought a thermometer, instead of runnin hotter the better.

& my take on the imported stuff is, we would be hard pressed to try & buy all "USA MADE" to make life go on.

Sad ,but true :(

GP, yup,that,s what I did, don't remember anything in the manual not to do this. Thanks for the tip. The Lee pot I ordered is 500 watts where the Lyman pot was 850, so maybe that will be better.

Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese and other foreign companies meet specs.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I've had the opportunity to test the composition of various castings made in China. Maybe half of them meet the spec they were ordered too. My wife worked for company that would buy pipe flanges in bulk from India. Every one of them had to be re-threaded because the threads were cut incorrectly. Even though these products were wrong the companies buying them choose to ignore it because they were cheap, at least to start with.

Oh, and I just love lead and melamine in food products and toys. Does that meet spec?

We just love to impose all sorts of health/ safety/ wage and environmental regulations in this country and then buy all our products from places where those regulations don't exist.

Was looking to get a furnace, now I know it won't be from Lyman.

I can't comment on Lyman melting pots, but I've got several Lee pots. One of them is 39 years old, has melted a ton of lead, and still works just fine.

I try not to buy Chinese stuff for political reasons. I don't care about whether their products meet "specs" or not, I just would rather keep my money in the U.S. We have enough unemployment here to toss our money/jobs overseas...

I tried to explain that buying capital equipment overseas frequently made the difference between jobs here and no jobs here.

Why do people miss that? Is it inconvenient? Too subtle?

I may be the exception but never a problem with Lyman Service. The lady who answers the phone did everything within reason to handle my problems. That was 10 years ago but can't speak for the present.

As for the shooting industry as a whole the only problem not handled was with RCBS & that was mold related.

I have Lyman molds, and they work well enough wherever they're made. I use a 20lb Lee Magnum Melter for for most of my casting (the Lee bottom pour pot I own sucks!). It works fine, and I've literally made hundreds of pounds of boolits from that pot.

Beware that Lee pots are really influenced by ambient temperature as far as their setting goes. It may seem counter-intuitive, but when its below zero outside you must crank your pot much LOWER than you would when the outside temperature is like 80 degrees. With any Lee pot, it's best to also invest in a thermometer until you get a feel for the lead temperature with experience.

I should also mention that this is the first thread that I've seen that puts down Lyman equipment over Lee. Usually it's the opposite, which is why I originally suspected this thread was just a troller.

"I tried to explain that buying capital equipment overseas frequently made the difference between jobs here and no jobs here.

Why do people miss that? Is it inconvenient? Too subtle?"

It's hard to believe. I didn't miss it and no, it's not subtle (most of us here are intelligent enough to read/understand an opinion). It's kinda like saying buy your cars from foreign manufacturers so you can create gas station attendent jobs here. Why not buy capital equipment here, to creat two jobs here (one for the manufacture of the capital equipment and one for the use of the capital equipment?)

I tried to explain that.

The choice isn't between buying American and buying Chinese, then going ahead with the project.

The choice is between buying Chinese equipment or not doing the project, because of what we called the "American Entitlement Surcharge".

We didn't provide gas station jobs. We were a general contractor, we provided union jobs in all skilled trades, as well as union laborer jobs. We also provided jobs for various hanger-ons and satellites, like engineers, project managers and the occasional homeless architect.

If we didn't do the project, we simply laid them off.

Kind of hypocritical isn't it? Union workers seem to think they are entitled to those high wages you know. So to prove your point, you go and buy equipment from the Chinese company who doesn't have to pay those entitled union workers, They have cheap expendable workers.

Nope. Have you ever seen a non-union construction site?

I've said it before, and I've gone around with lots of people about it. I've done it both ways on many scales in all weather.

A union construction crew is much cheaper than a non-union crew, in spite of the higher wages. Wired back skill saws and tennis shoes are for others.

Housing prices are already out of reach for 75% of the American citizens and your going to support the Chinese economy. Good going.

Back