cheepest bp rifle that kicks the most.

"H&R Huntsman in .58"

Bingo! Thank you.
I couldn't for the life of me remember what they called it.
140gr :eek: :eek: !!!

I'll have to dig up the little glass vials my Huntsman came with and figure out how much FFG each one holds. 50 gr sounds about right because if my hungover mind recalls correctly, they recommended dumping 2 of them down the bore - which would be the 100 gr max.

Jbar: Yeah, 60 grains...

Must be a Civil War reenactor thing? We use 60 gr. blank charges strait down the barrel (no ramming) in our reenactments, so we've all figured that's also good for shooting... Personally, I use a Traditions Hawkin in .50, and I recall the manual saying something along the lines of 70 max...

Are you sure you're not overloading?

captain-d, sorry for the delayed response. I've been outta town for Christmas and haven't been able to get on a puter. Yes, I'm setup for paypal, Here is my feedback on EBAY, , I'm located in The Colony, TX, and I completely advise you to look around. Believe me, I spend all kinds of time looking around before I buy any guns. Just let me know if you want it and I'll get a price to you for shipping and we'll have a deal. If you don't, I'll keep it a while longer. :D

I shoot 60 grains of FF in all my blackpowder rifle muskets. Doesn't hurt a bit (and I'm no big dude - figure size 7 mits). Now, the Whitworth with 75 grains of FF hurts a lot more, but that's not inexpensive.

The Perdesoli Kodiak can take about 120 grains of FF for its .58 cal conical. The fellow who sold it to me sent me a pic and the muzzle was certainly climbing. He was no small dude either. However, I've yet to find time to cast conicals for it and try it.

If you want kick, I've read that the .69 caliber rifled muskets pounded the soliders. Not the "buck 'n ball" 1841 but the rifled version of that same Springfield firing the big minie. The soldiers called it Three Cheers and a Tiger (which I've yet to figure out). Some got smart when they found that three dimes placed in the barrel would reduce the umph!.

Hmm - the dimes thing intrests me, 4V50 Gary. Where did they place them - behind the ball? Ahead? Not sure why it would reduce recoil... ??? Extra room for gas expansion?

But wow - 30 cents a shot plus powder and lead in the mid 1800s! Bet not many of them made it a standard load... :D

try a belgium made 4 gage shotgun they were sold all over the place cheap I have one i bought in the early 80s for 60 buck s with a standard load the recoil will knock you down but boy will it smash targets

over time

Interesting idea, but eventually you may have to decide if you'll ever really shoot this cannon well. I don't expect to ever become a Master with my 30-30s but if I can shoot such decently and often plus encourage my sons to enjoy my guns, then that's worth quite a lot to me. If they dislike shooting because of the kick-your-head-off recoil, then (for me), what's the point?

The dimes were placed into the barrel before the introduction of powder and left there (I don't think they wasted thirty cents a shot). Can't shoot out the dimes if they're below the powder. I suppose the dimes came out whenever the gun was cleaned, but afterwards, was probably dropped right back in there.

Oh, the term "Three cheers and a tiger" formally meant three buckshot and one ball and wasn't originally three dimes into the barrel.

An Abusive BP Gun?

I had a 54 cal. Sharon Trade Rifle Kit produced before Hall Sharon lost the company that I thought was a bargain (bought cheap because the manager of the store didn't know what it was). Accuracy was good but anything above 50 grains of powder caused it to kill on one end and maim on the other. Now I'm not a little guy and at the time I was shooting a two band Enfield, a three band Springfield, a musketoon(all 58 cal.) and a Smith Carbine in competition but something about the stock configuration on that Sharon made it the most abusive rifle (bar none) that I have ever shot.

I had a .50 armsport that was a real lightweight rifle- I shot 3F 100 gr.(I know-I know! :eek: )(and it did shoot accurate with that load- after the flames cleared! :D )out of it regularly and it kicked like a mule with lead feet- always got a big cheek bruise and took ribbing at work the next day-who'd you fight? :D

Back