cheepest bp rifle that kicks the most.

capitan-d

like the title states. i want a blackpowder rifle that will punish me. are there any that hurt to shoot? cheeper the better.

thanks
devin

come on ladys. thinking about gettin the cva buckhorn. get the combo from cabelas for like 180 with 2.5-7 scope. good deal?

Maybe I am a bit slow but why in the hell would you post a message like this one? :confused:

If you are a masochist why not just check the advertisments in your local area and go find yourself a person who can meet your needs? It appears to me it would be a lot safer for you and for others who maybe shooting in your area.

If I have missed something important in your posting then please explain it.

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

Try a .58 caliber muzzle-loader of some sort, probably a Civil War replica. They seem to kick a bit with 'maximum safe loads'... My friend double-loaded to 120 grains once on accident, he felt it for awhile.

Btw, they run anywhere from $300 if lucky to $800 for a top-o'-the-line model with all the bells and whistles.

H&R used to make a break open BP rifle based on the single shot shotguns in .54 and .58 cal.
The one I had would sit you on your bute-ocks (for any Ensign Pulver fans) using big charge of FFG under a .58 minne.
IIRC I gave ~ $80 for it new way back when (1975?). Once in a while I see one used for about the same price.

well aussie bob...i would post a thread like this one because thats the kind of gun that im looking for. no need for you (or anyone else) to bash it. buying a bp gun that kicks a lot is cool for many reasons.
-save money on ammo
-your pussy friends dont want to shoot it :)
-bigger is ALWAYS better
and maybe is a combination of these things and just having a huge "bad ass" gun. anyways, thanks for your help (guys with the helpful posts). Prally end up getting a buckhorn or a hawken. well see.

thanks
devin

I have a Hawken style Cabela's repro flinter in .58 that I think would fit the bill. There are probably more punishing rifles out there, but this'n is good enough for me.

Recoil with round ball and moderate loads will leave you remembering and trying to work up a load for a 400+ gr mini bullet is a progression of days, not a single range session. (eg. ya gotta heal up in between shooting sessions for accuracy sake) Careful not to overdo the load - you are playing with a rather stout bomb here!

I think it's the brass buttpad that does it - deffianately cool looking, but no cushion whatsoever. Price is in the mid $300 IIRC - less if you can find a kit like I did. Add the historic appeal of the flintlock - and never having to buy primers/caps again, you can make your own flints if you really get into it! - and you've really got something here. :cool:

capitan-d, I have CVA Hunterbolt .50 cal with a Cabela's Pine Ridge® 2.5-7 x 32 scope with mounts and rings that I'd be willing to sell for about $170 plus shipping. I bought it brand new and it's only been out of the box long enough for me to make sure everything was there. I ordered it to go deer hunting this fall and it didn't make it to my door in time for me to use it, so it hasn't even been shot yet.

Lemme know if you are interested.

Kick is more dependant on load, rather than the gun itself............although the lighter a gun is, the more it'll recoil.

So get yourself something like that Hunterbolt or a Knight USAK or Wolverine which are relatively cheap (around $150) and load it with 400gr or heavier bullets with 100gr of 777 loose powder..............that'll kick like a mule on crack. :eek:

beardking what kind of finish is on that hunterbolt? i may be interested. thanks for all your help guys. anyone have advise on a NEF sidekick? I was also looking at the CVA buckhorn but i dont know if i like the crap on the synthetic stock. ill have to see if any of the gun stores around here have one in stock. anyone else have any advise for a first timer id appreciate it. iv also decided that i want on i can put a scope on.

thanks
devin

A BP Rifle That Hurts...

Good Cap'n.,

Just about any BP rifle will suit your purpose to be "hurt" by one.

I suggest you buy the cheapest one you can find at Wal-Mart, find a bridge, walk underneath it, shake hands with the fellow troll there, discuss your needs with him, and have them fulfilled.

I hope the moderator pulls your alias for wasting bandwith with your nonsense.

Please find some other group to bother.

Regards,

Miltie.

thanks miltin. i appreciate your input. BUT...thats not the encouagement im looking for. if you read the inital question i asked and didnt like it then you should not have responded. opinions are cheep and stupid ass ones like yours i could really do without. you honestly think your doing ANYONE any good with a post like that? grow up.

sincerely,
devin

capitan-d, the hunterbolt that I have is the black synthetic stock with a blued barrel. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it is. As you can see, it's still quite new in the box.

Attachments

• CVA Hunterbolt2.JPG
    CVA Hunterbolt2.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 75
Cowled_Wolf, 140 grains FF with a patched round ball is a standard heavy hunting load in .58 cal. Your friend only uses 60 grains normally??

I've got an H&R Huntsman in .58, just as Hal describes, that I bought for $35 at a yard sale a few years ago and shot regularly with 140 grains and a round ball. Then one day I was reading through Lyman's Black Powder Manual and found where H&R recommended a MAX load of only 100 grains, regardless of the projectile; Round ball, Minié, or Maxi. They do tend to hurt after awhile when using 140 grains. :D

beardking thats pretty much exactly what im looking for. where are you located? take paypal? have any feedback? im going to look around town a bit and get some more advise. im still interested but not exactly sure if i want it or not.

thanks
devin

Why are people getting down on capitan? Although his question is a bit odd, there's nothing wrong with it. Just because it's a first post, it doesn't necessarily follow that he's a troll. I hope you find your answer, capitan.

But capitan, do not use phrases like 'stupid ass' on this board, even if provoked, because it can get you booted, since personal attacks are against the rules of the board.

I'm tellin' ya captain - that thing looks like it's got a padded recoil pad! You'll get more stumulus from the brass butt pad on my flinter. :eek:

Lol - looks like a good gun, and it'll wallop you surely with good loads - enjoy!

any thoughts on the tradition buckhunter pro handgun? what do you think the recoil will be like with the full 80 gr. load? compared to my .357?

thanks
devin

Back