Check out my new Hill Billy Target Stands

My point is exactly what I asked in my previous post.

Explain why you believe a backstop is the single most important issue given the context of the OP's photos. It's a picture of a couple target stands. You have no reason or justification to determine that they are anything but photos of the target stands, yet you insist that a backstop is vital. For what exactly?

Does the act of taking the picture prove to you that the OP is using the stands for targets where and how they're positioned in the photo? How did you determine that?

As I wrote in my Post No. 11:
He still needs a backstop. Even if he owns the land behind the targets he should minimize the risk of wounding or killing a human behind the targets.

I (and I believe virtually everyone who posted in this thread) assume that he posted the photos to show his target set-up which he intended to use at that location when he chose to shoot at those targets with one or more firearms. He may very well have been interested in comments about his set-up. I cannot imagine he would move those tires and set up the target frames in the location where he took the photos solely for the purpose of taking the photos with the intent to move everything to another location.

I don't understand why anyone would question people for inquiring if he is shooting safely? Whats wrong with making certain the location has an appropriate backstop?

The OP didn't seem offended when he replied with a polite and simple response that the background is actually a hill... good enough for me now can we move on and talk about the fun innovation on home made improvised target stands?

It's a hill folks. On private land with no neighbors.
I mow the hill w/ my riding lawn mower. The wife wont do it as she's afraid she'll roll the mower.

This may or may not help some of you. The deer just behind the steel target is actually up hill of the steel target. The hill continues up from there. When I shoot, I'm shooting into the base of the hill.

14407654682_9373cbf771_b.jpg

For target backers the corrugated boxes that pizza deliveries use make good target backers. That is if they are not too greasy. Another thing you can do with them is trace an old (useable) CD or DVD on the box and you could have as many as 5 different targets to shoot at.

lefteye said:
Drobs, Thank you for the additional information. Good set-up!

So now that he has your approval, is it ok for him to use his target stands?

If he moves them to a different location does he need to submit new photos for backstop committee approval before he uses them?

WyMark - READ my posts in this thread, especially my post No. 13. I never suggested he needed my approval. If he moves his target frames to another location I assume he will be just as careful as he was this time.

Last edited:
I swear, some of you guys would argue over whether the sun rises in the East. Now that the backstop issue has been served up well done, it will serve posters well to bring this back on topic.

Wonder how many would lose their minds if he took the pictures of the stands inside his house?:eek: I think its good use of old tires, but I share others concerns about mosquito breeding in standing water inside tires and zica virus.

The issue in this thread, beginning with Post No. 3, was the "backstop" for his firearms targets. NOT the tires!

Cool target stands. Maybe you could fill the tire with that spray foam insulation to keep the water out.

Back