Check out my new Hill Billy Target Stands

drobs

31645407736_abdd0fe6e0_b.jpg

31645407766_49dbf2b0e9_b.jpg

Had these under my back deck for the last 6 years but if you drive out in the sticks you can find em on the side of the road.

Need to move them around? They roll!

I used a fixed blade knife to stab X's in one and square holes in the other.

Sorry but the description led me to believe I'd be looking at two targets dressed as "Bill" and "Hill" - too bad, would have been fun.......

Maybe there is a hill behind those trees. Camera might be at weird angle. Maybe he owns the 10 acres behind those trees. Leave him alone about his backstop.

He still needs a backstop. Even if he owns the land behind the targets he should minimize the risk of wounding or killing a human behind the targets.

Last edited:
How far is the hill from the targets? How high is the hill? If is close enough and high enough, then you are good.

Are you the range police? The man wasn't looking for range advice. He was showing off his sweet target stands. Let it be.

drobs said:
Camera doesn't do well for depth perception but there is a big hill back there.

thank you for the clarification. Sorry to diss on your thread there, in my area we are getting public land areas closed down to target shooting because of unsafe and trashed out shooting places. I don't know if your pic is on private land so... be careful anyways because its hard to see behind the brush in your photo anything or person could accidentally walk in there. Always know your target and whats beyond Rule #4 applies even on private property.

I like the improvised target stand, I wish more people would take the time to figure a stand out, anything improvised works (the biggest issue we have is "target trash").

No, I'm not the range police. Are you? I merely addressed the possible issue of safety behind the targets for his benefit, not mine! Just as Koda94 has done! Neither of us criticized him. (I retired in 2010 after 36 years as a government attorney.) I wanted to point out the potential liability risks unless he had a "backstop." I confess that I failed to compliment the OP on his target set-up, i.e., cardboard on wooden stakes in tires, a good approach on private land.

Last edited:
Seems fairly obvious in the first pic, looks like a 15-20 foot berm about 40-50 yards behind the targets and trees.

And as mentioned it was simply pics of the target stands, all the panty twisting about backstops was just way out of place.

How can you tell from the photo that there is a 15-20 foot berm 40-50 yards away rather than a weedy field? The OP admitted the photo does NOT provide good depth perception.

Fair point.

Count the bullet holes in the two targets and then explain exactly why backstop matters in the context of these photos.

Back