Cheapest handguns.

Avier

Inactive
Hi, guys. Im a young guy who wants to start his firearm collection early. So whats the cheapest full sized handgun that I can buy? I wanna start there and work my way up. I have a hi-point 380, but now I want a full sized handgun.

A Ruger MK3 can be had for around 300 and are actually great quality. The 22/45 version is full size. Used Glocks can be found pretty cheap as well.

Used guns might be the place to start since they tend to offer the most “bang” for the buck. As mentioned GLOCKS are very common and good deals can be found along with plentiful parts/accessories. Also, the third generation Smith & Wesson pistols are pretty nice although availability isn’t what it was few years ago. One area to consider is Police trade-ins which generally have a lot of cosmetic wear, but are usually in decent mechanical shape.

Sorry, I guess I should've specified more. The Ruger wouldn't work because im also looking for one that I could carry.

Let me seperate your question:

Best full size pistol for $300- I'd say a Ruger P series. They can be found in a variety of calibers, and are great quality weapons.

Now, for carry (especially concealed carry), I'd look at a Makarov. They are easily $250-$300, and the 9x18 is a quality defensive round.

smith and wesson SD40 VE. $349 NEW. i picked one up as my main carry pistol and it has outperformed my expectations. the trigger is a little stiff but loosens somewhat after 100-200 rounds through. 14 round mag gives you plenty on ammo in the mag. its light, takes down like a glock. easy to clean and maintain. only other drawback besides trigger is a plastic guide rod. ive put close to 1000 rounds through mine and it hasnt jammed or misfed once. its also available everywhere i have looked. bass pro, cabelas, gander mountain, LGS. one of my LGS had one for rent, i went and shot one day and purchased one as soon as i came off the range. def worth taking a look into

Hi, guys. Im a young guy who wants to start his firearm collection early. So whats the cheapest full sized handgun that I can buy? I wanna start there and work my way up. I have a hi-point 380, but now I want a full sized handgun.

You best bet is probably a CZ-82.

For a range gun or even open carry (if it's legal where you live) as others have said anything from the Ruger P series. They are built like tanks, and just as heavy. Throw some adjustable sights on one, some shoot low with the factory fixed sights, and have fun.

Another alternative to take a look at is the Sig Sauer P250. It is a quality pistol and not a cheap pistol. You can probably get one in your price range. At least research it for five minutes on the Sig Web Site. The versatility in caliber and size is all within one fire control unit.

SAR ARMS BP9 Its a turkish made CZ-75 clone with a polymer lower. They can be had for less than $300 and the one I shot convinced me to get one at the next gun show.

I noticed one poster suggesting a S&W Model 10. Are revolvers out of the question?

I agree with most of the above suggestions. Here are a few others:
  • Tristar C, L, P, S, & T-series pistols. These are based on the Tanfoglio T-series and CZ 75, and are made by Canik55 in Turkey; Tristar is the US importer. I have not shot one, but they seem to get excellent reviews from everyone who does, and they're generally priced under $350. Your profile does not say where you live, but if you live in the South, I suggest looking for them at Academy Sports.
  • Stoeger Cougar, a license-built Turkish copy of the Beretta 8000, made using Beretta tooling.
  • In the used-gun cabinet, keep an eye out for the S&W SW99 and SW990, which are mildly restyled license-built versions of the Walther P99. These were mostly sold to police departments and seem quite unloved by American shooters on the secondary market; they generally sell for much cheaper prices than their Walther equivalents, and I've seen several with tags in the $275-$325 range. The SW99 was also offered in a .45ACP version, whereas the Walther was not.
Minor footnote about the SW99: I believe that many shooters may be inadvertently confusing the SW99 and SW990 with Sigma pistols that share the "SW" prefix; however, the prefix is the ONLY thing they share- the Sigmas are totally dissimilar otherwise. The 1st-gen Sigmas had a number of well-documented deficiencies: chronic extraction and ejection problems for the double-stack models (SW9C, SW9F, and SW9V), and difficult disassembly and generally poor build quality for the single-stack models (SW9M and SW380). These pistols are best avoided. Subsequent Sigmas, such as the current SD line, are much better.

Last edited:
Go to the budsgunshop website,,,

Go to the budsgunshop website,,,
Select a manufacturer from the list on the left side of the page,,,
Then when all of the guns are displayed click on the "price" column header.

That will sort the prices from low to high so you can find the cheap ones.

Or do the power search with a caliber and "All Manufacturers" selected,,,
Do the same thing with the "Price" column header.

You will see all they have to offer,,,
Lowest price on top.

Aarond

KelTec makes a good, but cheap gun.
Yes, but Kel-Tec does not make any full-size handguns other than the hard-to-get and specialized PMR-30, unless you count the quasi-SBR PLR-16 and PLR-22; I don't think the OP would be interested in PLR's, as he/she specifically mentions carry, and I presume this doesn't mean on a 1-point sling under a trench coat. ;)

If you're "starting your collection", maybe don't rush to buy the cheapest thing available.
You already have a cheap - but serviceable - gun you can use while you save for something you'll actually enjoy as your collection matures.

For $3-400 you can find something that will work, but once you have $5-600 saved there are a ton of great options, and you'll have a much easier time finding something that matches your individual preferences. Extend that out a couple months and a bit more cash, and for $7-800 you can have pretty much anything you want.

Presuming you practice enough to be proficient you're going to wind up spending more on ammo than you do on the gun anyway, so I'd suggest getting something in 9mm.
9mm is - IMHO - the best "starter" center-fire choice. It has all the power you're likely to need, and costs far less to practice with than most other options.
A .38spl/.357 is a close second (or first if you want a revolver).

A .22 is a fantastic investment, but I definitely understand wanting to get something you can carry.
Go to some gun shops and handle some guns. Rent/shoot some if you can. Then - as you find out the things you like and the things you don't - you'll have a much easier time narrowing your selection down.
Even if you wind up going the budget route, there are enough options out there that there will be options you like and options you don't.

Back