Cheapest aftermarket rifle barrel maker

The go no/go gauges that came with my barrel were actually quite far off from one another--I mean who thinks to measure the gauges when they get them, right? My rifle kept having headspacing issues and eventually I got tired of adjusting the barrel nut over and over--that's when I did a shoulder measure between the gauges and discovered there was too much space between them, the PTG guages were tighter and when I used them my headspace issues went away.

Setting headspace shouldn't be that hard.
And i'll agree, you kinda expect headspace gauges to be correct.
I've only used PT&G and 4D Rental gauges. Both have worked with no issues.

The only thing that's given me issues of late, are new Savage rifles. The "loctite" they use is like left over shot blast. Hard as heck to unscrew the barrel from the action & get the barrel nut off the barrel.
Screwing the barrel onto another action i didn't like the feel of.
Had to order a tap & die to clean the threads up.

Bamaranger,

With 243 Win & 100gr bullets, think slow!
As in burn rate.
Try RL26, IF you can find any!

You can thank me later. ;)

std7mag said:
With 243 Win & 100gr bullets, think slow!
As in burn rate.
Try RL26, IF you can find any!

RL26 is like magic fairy dust right now.

However, when I was shooting 100+ grain bullets in a 1:7 26" McGowen Savage .243 Win just about any "Magnum" rifle powder worked well. I got really close to 3300 fps with 105 grain Hornady A-Max and Berger VLD bullets with RL22 and Norma MRP. I didn't think I should be going that fast and settled on a load that averaged 3200 fps to give me some cushion, even though I didn't ever get pressure signs at my top load tried.

Back