Cheaper Than Dirt: bad business practice

Pipper

For your information should you be considering purchasing products from Cheaper Than Dirt, I'm noting an experience that my wife and I had with store ownership and management last Saturday. I'd like to preface my remarks by saying that we understand that a store has a right to set and change its policies as it sees fit, but we believe this experience illustrates a bad business practice and poor customer relations.

We recently attempted to return a Sure Fire 6P to Cheaper Than Dirt located in Fort Worth, Texas in accordance with their 30 day return policy, but they refused stating that they don't allow returns on Sure Fire lights. When I tried to politely protest to the salesclerk, she abruptly said, "I don't want to talk about it, I'm going to get the manager".

The manager asked the owner in the back office if he would accept the return, and the owner said no. I pointed out to the manager that their salesperson informed me, at the time of purchase, that they did indeed accept returns on Sure Fire lights: the manager said that the salesperson was misinformed, and they would not honor their salesperson's misrepresentation.

I also pointed out that their printed return policy, which is posted throughout the store as well as at the registers and on the receipt, states that returns are allowed for everything except food, firearms, and ammunition: nothing is mentioned regarding Sure Fire lights in the exceptions. The manager stated that they used to have a separate sign posted above the Sure Fire display stating that they did not accept Sure Fire returns, but he did not know what happened to the sign (this sign was not posted when I purchased the flashlight, either). He refused to honor the return and stated that a sign would be posted the next day. The salesclerk suggested that I could give the light as a gift: I found this statement to be insulting, but I let it slide.

I also mentioned that I had also purchased two 9P's and one 9Z from them which I am happy with and intend to keep: the 6P simply did not put out enough light for my needs. They still refused to honor the return.

I asked to speak to the owner, but the manager said that the owner would not come out and talk to us.

I've since checked the store's return policy on their website, and it states,

"OUR GUARANTEE: CTD offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason, you are not happy with your purchase, you may return that purchase to us within 30 days of receipt for a refund, replacement or credit less shipping and handling. NO RETURNS AFTER 30 DAYS. Ammunition and food items cannot be returned."

See http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/serv.htm

As I said, a store has the right to set and change its policies as it sees fit. However, I believe that it's bad business and poor customer relations to refuse to honor such a clearly stated return policy. I've spent a lot of money in this store, and I've returned little. I'm surprised that the owner would be willing to lose a customer in order to stick by a policy that is decidedly different than that which he's represented to his customers. I considered purchasing two new Sig Sauer pistols from this store, but I'm afraid that I'll have to take these purchases elsewhere.

I wanted to let potential customers know of my experience so that they would be aware that Cheaper Than Dirt's actual policies may be different than their stated policies.

The store address and phone number is:

Cheaper Than Dirt
Owner: Michael Tenney
2522 N.E. Loop 820
Fort Worth, Texas 76106-1809
Phone: 817-625-7171

Thanks for the info Pipper.

This problem is the reason that I like competition in the market place. I have no problem w/a business making a mistake. I do have a problem however with a business that, in spite of stated policy, treats customers unfairly. I will think twice before buying anything from this company. The same products can be purchased elsewhere.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Dang! I was gonna buy a few boxes of .45 acp shotshells from them (we got a rattler problem on our deer lease) this week. also in the market for some bulk .45 acp (looking for 230gr RN, 1000 rounds, maybe 2000, depending on price).

Anyone have any reputable leads for my planned purchase?

Try Natchez 1800-251-7839 they have Federal 45 match loaded for uncle sam for 9.99 a box for more than 20

How about change their name to 'Cheap as Dirt.'

I always get a kick out of a business that does this kinda stuff. Just biting off their nose in my view. I never go back to a place that does this and I let them know it.

If you paid by credit card have them do a charge back for you. If not you still entered into a contract with the store. You may file in small claims court for damages and you will win. Take pictures of the signs in the store and print out the web site info. The employee is an agent of the store, if he commits to something he is acting on behalf of the store, you have no reason to believe otherwise. This will cost them much more in lost business than the $20 they made on the light.

Before I go e-mailing them, or writing a letter to the store owner, I have one question: Is this Michael Tenney character the owner of the whole CTD operation, or is he the owner of that particular store?

I've never done business with CTD, but have contemplated it. This will probably keep me away from them forever, and I plan on letting them know.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Looks like their policy, owner and management is Cheaper Than Dirt also.

I'm always unsuccessful at returning things, so I sick my soon-to-be-wife on them. That redhead can be a flaming b**** and she returns things that are supposed to be unreturnable regardless of store policy.

I've heard similiar stories about Cheaper Than Dirt and I won't buy from them. Maybe you can try going over their head. Their customer service question line is:
1-800-559-0943

I have always gotten good service from Cheaper Than Dirt! It says in their catolouge that warrenty claims for Surefire and Cold Steel products are handled by the manufacturer. If you want to return a Surefire flashlight, you return it to Surefire, NOT CTD.

I cannot state that I have done a large volume of business with CTD for I have not. However, what I have purchased from them has been of good quality and price with good service.

------------------
Byron Quick

Let's not forget that Cheaper Than Dirt does support the RKBA. The certainly seem to be on our side.

It always sours me on a place when I have a negative consumer experience (will never, ever set foot in some places [Best Buy] because of past experience with them [no matter how good the price is]). I would first make sure you are getting angry with the right people.

Does this guy own all of CTD or just that store? Does he know that you were thinking of buying two SIGs there? Does he know how much you shop there?

If you cant get satisfaction that way then I would certainly get in line to write a well worded letter expressing my displeasure. Here is the email if anyone is interested: internet@cheaperthandirt.com

I would say, "I heard on the Firing line that... I may think twice about making my next purchase from your establishment."

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

I will second that by Alan on Natchez. They sent me 10 boxes of 9mm Largo in 2 days and their prices are excellent. CTD can go fly a kite!

Pipper:

On the weapons I suggest you try the following places. Catch them at a gun show in the Dallas area and you will save even more money.

B & S Guns - Mesquite, Texas (7.75% sls tx)

Bachman Pawn & Guns - Dallas, Texas

I did business w/both of these fine companies while living in DFW, and they had great prices, great selection and they are true professionals.

Good Luck -----Will Beararms

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited October 20, 1999).]

Keep in mind that everyone has bad day occationally, espesially since Klinton got in office. :D Don't let one incident sour you on a particular place of business. Now if you find that a place is routinely giving poor customer service, shop elsewhere.

Roscoe do you work for CTD? I mean when a person goes in and talks to a salesperson and gets the wrong answer and is told that they can speak to the manager in a rude way, then you might forgive them for haveing a bad day. When you then speak to the manager and are basically told you are wrong but that the manager will check with the owner, who basically shows his appreciation of your business by telling you that you are SOL, that is NOT having a bad day. That is BAD BUSINESS (caps are for emphasis) plain and simple. I had planned to order stuff from CTD, but this is the second time I have read negative comments about them. I will take my business elswhere. Really if you don't know where a company stands on taking a return why give them your money. If a company sells a product, they should not be afraid to stand behind it and if that product is not what the customer wanted then they shouldn't be afraid to take the return.
Pipper contact me off list if you would like to sell the 6P. I can always use another light.

I no longer do business with CTD after being charged the same "handling fee" for two mags. that I was charged for 2 cases of .223.
I prefer to do business with companies like Brownells.com,Natchezss.com and Midsouthshooterssupply.com. I have dealt with these companies for decades without a single problem. I cannot praise Brownells enough and no I do not work for them.

I too can endorse Natchez. They seem to have the best prices anyway. www.natchezss.com
FWIW I have also been treated well by The Sportsman's Guide (they always have deals on ammo LoneStar) and Cabelas although a bit expensive.

I certainly appreciate all the helpful and supportive comments from Firing Line members.

To answer a few points:

1) To deanf: Cheaper Than Dirt has only one location, so Michael Tenney is the sole owner of the operation. All mail order is handled through this location as well.

2) To Roscoe P. Coltrain: I understand that CTD's catalog states that WARRANTY claims on Sure Fire lights are handled through the manufacturer, but I'm referring to CTD's 30-day return policy. The flashlight that I want to return is not broken: I simply don't want it because it doesn't meet my needs. CTD's catalog does not state that they will not accept returns of Sure Fire lights during the 30-day return period due to customer dissatisfaction.

3) To Roscoe P Coltrain: I appreciate what you say about not letting one bad experience sour me regarding a particular company. Rudeness or mistakes by store personnel (if rare) will not usually prevent me from patronzing a store since management will generally makes things right. However, this particular stance, coming from the owner himself, tells me that I cannot rely on the company's representations.

I asked to speak to the owner who was easily viewable in the back office, but the manager said that Mr. Tenney would not come out and speak to me.

I only note that fact that I won't be buying the Sigs at CTD to make known that the store lost a substantial sale of $1200 in order to keep a $60 sale. They should have accepted the return regardless of my future potential purchases.

Again, thanks for all comments. The Firing Line is a great discussion board, and I appreciate all of your feedback.

I just sent an email to Mr. Tenney asking his response to the charges made by Pipper. I like to get both sides of the story before I make a decision not to do business with someone. We'll see what (if anything) he has to say . . . .

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited October 22, 1999).]

Back