Cheap! (kinda) Python! (kinda)

A Python is still just an over priced Colt .357 revolver.

The action was second to none ..... when it was new .... the fact that it was a turnkey operation to fix it? Loser.

Last edited:
I will be very interested to see some reviews. I want to know if it uses the original Python lockwork or if it uses the more modern lockwork Colt is using in the other new revolvers.

Totally reworked. They removed 12 parts from the action.

That rear sight "upgrade" as they call on the Colt website is 100% S&W 686 in look?

Big surprise they didn't do it a 7 shot.

All 357 competition in this size are 7. (Ruger, S&W, Taurus)

I gotta say, i'll reserve judgement on the Python until I've seen / fired one in person. I'm not a huge Python guy, but i do recognize the importance it's played in the overall landscape of revolvers and can appreciate all of the lore that goes along with it.

I did pick up a "new" Cobra when it first came out (any way to find out how early in the run it is?) and it's been perfectly fine. Good trigger (IMO), hits what i aim at consistently... so no real complaints. Am i a stainless steel finish aficionado? No. Am i going to complain about Colt not offering a blued finish on the Cobra or Royal Blue on the Python? No on the Cobra... but Maybe on the Python.

I understand the economics of it all and, even IF offered, there would likely be a huge up-charge from the Custom Shop, but I think it would be a really nice addition to the "new" Python for those that really want it. I don't even know if you CAN blue a stainless part and achieve that level of color and finish... I'm guessing NO, but that's above my pay-grade. I'm sure Colt considered it, looked at their capabilities, crunched the numbers and either have that in their back pocket for the future, or have eliminated it from consideration completely. just my two cents...

FOR A BUYER, that price is just too high given the competition.

None of the listed features are saying this is better than a GP100 or 686.

But it is double the cost, even if it's 300 less than MSRP.

I get liking things, but...$600 dollars more for no benefit, possibly less reliability? Not so sure...

Real price will probably be around $1100 or they wont sell very many of them. And it's not twice the cost of a 686, it's 2-1/2 times the price of a 686! First time I saw a 586 in 1985 or so I knew the Pyhton's days were numbered: same 357 size frame, same heavy underlug barrel to control muzzle rise, better lockwork than the Colt. Pythons were really exceptional in the 1960s, still had an edge in the 1970s, but by the 1980s they were on the edge of being on the way out. Then the S&W 586/686 showed up.

Real price will probably be around $1100 or they wont sell very many of them. And it's not twice the cost of a 686, it's 2-1/2 times the price of a 686!

Where can I find a new 686 for $440? Even a beat up used one runs more than that. FWIW there are plenty of Performance Center 686's that run $1,200+. And that's not the MSRP, but the actual online retail price.

Per MasterBlaster's instagram link it appears the frame is D frame size. I didn't see where it has fewer parts. I did see at Arfcom an image of the rear half of the lockwork. It has a V spring and rebound lever, but things appear MIM.

Back