Cheap! (kinda) Python! (kinda)

357 Terms

So apparently Colt is going to release a new "Python". A supposed Msrp of around$1500.

Most likely a King Cobra with enhancements?

I wont rush to buy one, but glad Colt is really getting back (with both feet) into the wheelgun market.
Next an 45LC or 44mag Anoconda?

There are leaked pictures.
It appears to be a new frame but the size and configuration of a Python.
Not just another confusing model name recycle.

Colt should have jumped when Walking Dead Rick's Python drove up prices.

Still, the 686 is stronger.

Pythons lock at ignition, causing wear faster than the 686 (ie, Pythons will fall out of time faster than the current GP100s/686s).

It will be interesting to see if they beef up what most aren't aware of as a frail system. (frail compared to any other competitors)

I think it's pretty hard to understand someone's instrument of measure when they say the Python has a better trigger than a 686 (current too). I don't think it does.

That said, the vent ribbing on the Python is nice. Even like it on the Taurus 689s.

I've never really understood the big deal about Pythons. There is a reason why they didn't last in the market place. Too expensive to make and sell and no better than a S&W. I will say one thing though, aesthetically and quality wise they are a thing of beauty.

I owned a Python for a while, and thought it was about the prettiest gun I've ever owned. Did it shoot any better than anything else? Darned if I know, I don't shoot well enough to tell the difference, but it didn't shoot any worse anyway. I don't remember the trigger being anything special, one way or the other.

But I had an itch for a Python, and nothing else would have satisfied it. I just wanted a Python. I was really sorry when I had to sell it during a period of unemployment. I knew I'd never replace it and I never have.

I'll have to see IF a new one comes along. Maybe...

And if I remember correctly, Colt made the Python from about the mid 50's to the mid 90's or so. That's about 40 years, which I think was pretty successful.

Last edited:
I've never really understood the big deal about Pythons. There is a reason why they didn't last long in the market place.
I’m a card-carrying Python hater but c’mon now...

The Colt Python was in production for (arguably) FIFTY years and a half million were made. In my opinion, there is plenty to pick on in when it comes to the Python that we don’t need to make stuff up.

"...around $1500..." Won't have a real Python trigger. The factory trigger job by real gun smiths is what makes a Python a Python.
A Python is still just an over priced Colt .357 revolver.
"...we don’t need to make stuff up..." Yep. That's what Hollywood is for.

Oops, my bad. As far as time in the market place I phrased it poorly. I was thinking as compared to a Smith model 27 which is still around after almost 85 years. Obviously 50 years is a pretty good run. Need to remember to only post after having coffee.

Colt should have jumped when Walking Dead Rick's Python drove up prices.

Still, the 686 is stronger.

Pythons lock at ignition, causing wear faster than the 686 (ie, Pythons will fall out of time faster than the current GP100s/686s).

It will be interesting to see if they beef up what most aren't aware of as a frail system. (frail compared to any other competitors)

I think it's pretty hard to understand someone's instrument of measure when they say the Python has a better trigger than a 686 (current too). I don't think it does.

That said, the vent ribbing on the Python is nice. Even like it on the Taurus 689s.
Honest! Yes, exactly. The colt makes a great gun to keep in a wood box in the dresser. Not one for hard use by modern standards. Now back in the day they were fine relative to other old designs. Then back in those times you had S&W triple locks. Where is S&W relative to colt with revolvers today. IMHO, colt would be long gone if not for military contracts.

A new Pythin for $1500 and worth every bit of $750 I bet you. I dont even have to see it. I know that company. It dont matter how many bankruptcies, one constant in an ever changing world. Ironically colt will never change.

It's on their webpage!

It's listed on Colt's webpage!

$1,499 for both the 6 inch and the 4.25 inch. I'll definitely buy a 6 inch model, as soon and they're no longer "out of stock"...

Oops.

The new 4" barrel has two vents.

Everyone is taught that things look better in odds. This is very true with the 4" Python ribbing. It looks...kinda silly.

If you're shooting 357, I would recommend the 686.

Unless updated significantly more than what Colt says as 30% more steel (wasn't a frame issue on the original, it was action issue), the action/lock up of 686 is stronger.

I would bet $50 the new Python will fall out of time before a new 686.

It's not the Python of old and it costs too much money for what it is. There have been quite a few problems with the King Cobra Target reported right here on The Firing Line. Sorry Colt, you missed again.

Dave

Sounds like it's got some interesting features...interchangeable front sight, more steel in the frame among others. If Colt didn't cheapen the remainder, they may have a winner. It's a good lookin' piece to be sure. I'm a dyed in the wool S&W guy from the early '60's but that new Python may appeal to some! Rod

I will be very interested to see some reviews. I want to know if it uses the original Python lockwork or if it uses the more modern lockwork Colt is using in the other new revolvers.

A few years ago, one of the Italian clone makers (Uberti? Pietta?) announced that they were going to come out with a Python clone. Then it didn't happen, and nothing more was heard about it. I wonder if this new Python is being made by Colt in West hartford, or if it's a Colt-badged gun made under contract in Italy. There is precednet -- IIRC, Colt used one of the Italian makers to produce a replica of one of the cap-and-ball revolvers.

[Edit: looks like it was Pietta]

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/94768-python-replica-pietta-5-print.html

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=488323

https://rugerforum.net/pistols-revolvers/125942-pietta-reproduces-python.html

https://www.armietiro.it/la-replica-fap-pietta-del-python-a-iwa-2015-armi-6367

Like I said above, the amount of steel wasn't a problem with the Python.

It was the action.

So it's a bit weird they are stating this as an upgrade.

Back