cheap hollowpoint target loads?

Koda94

Does anyone sell target loads with hollowpoints?

When I do a quick search comparing FMJ vs Hollowpoint bullets (9mm) I see a 2 cent different in price. When I buy target loads its always in FMJ which I dont mind but the markup on HP loads is always way out of comparison to the simple cost difference of the bullets alone. All HP loads I see on the shelf are marketed as "premium" self defense loads, I get that...

So when I go training I almost never shoot HP loads only exception is when I want to validate a new supply as I rotate out old supply. Over time using various brands of whatever is the cheapest FMJ target loads I've never had issues with quality or accuracy.

So my questions are...
What other differences are there in quality of the premium SD hollowpoint loads, other than the HP bullet, that makes them so much more expensive... are they really worth the price?

Does anyone sell cheap loads with a hollowpoint bullet?

What's the benefit of hollow points for target and range use?
Most targets don't care; a hole is a hole.
They would be fun on melons, though.

well, if you roll your own, then extreme bullets makes their plated HP for just a few cents more than the round nose. when it comes to Russian rifle ammo, its the same price between fmj and hollow. for pistol ammo, the only cheap hollow-point ammo I know of is PPU(privePartizan) and they are also similar in price to the fmj, and not a bad hollow-point either.

youll have to find it in-stock, but here it is, I found some at an Academy for about 16$ a box in 9mm
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP9JHP147

g.willikers said:
What's the benefit of hollow points for target and range use?
Most targets don't care; a hole is a hole.

its not about the target its the function in the firearm, I only train with FMJ because that's whats affordable but it doesn't represent what I'd rather be using for exactly what I'm training for.... Technically we should be practicing with the same thing as we carry!

B.b.but not all hollow points are the same.
If the good stuff works in your gun, there's no guarantee the cheap stuff will.
And the point of impact could be different, too, along with recoil.
Just saying.
The only real way to practice like you carry is to use the exact same everything.
Anything else is a compromise, anyway.
Personally, I would continue to use the fmj ammo and not sweat the small stuff.

Personally, I would continue to use the fmj ammo and not sweat the small stuff.
I agree, this isn't a major deal to me just curious. It became a curiosity when I looked and saw that a hollowpoint bullet doesn't cost that much more than a FMJ (in general) I thought why isn't someone making a cheaper HP loading? You would think they would take advantage of marketing the cheaper price point...
The way I see it is why not, but I guess reality is its a marketing thing... people are sold on the idea that they don't want to bet their life on "cheap" bullets but my suspicion is there isn't much difference in usable end result performance other than the bullet design in the context of self defense training, I've never had any accuracy issues with various cheap FMJ target loads.

Yes, there are inexpensive, non-premium hollowpoint loads out there. In the current market every affordable type of ammo is rare, but they exist. Remington makes their cheap UMC in 9mm JHP, for instance.

Koda94 said:
What other differences are there in quality of the premium SD hollowpoint loads, other than the HP bullet, that makes them so much more expensive... are they really worth the price?
Asides from the bullet, the more expensive SD loadings may have nickel-plated cases for extra corrosion resistance, powder blends optimized for less muzzle flash, and/or primers sealed with lacquer for extra water resistance.

FWIW assuming you prefer supersonic 115-124gr defensive loads, I find that a decent range simulation is 9mm NATO. Military specifications require a fairly healthy level of muzzle energy, so 9mm NATO is generally loaded hotter and feels snappier than garden-variety FMJ practice ammo, and it doesn't cost much more... assuming you can find it. (In my area, the 9mm shortage is arguably over in the broader sense, but supplies of certain varieties of ammo are still spotty, and 9mm NATO seems to be one of those varieties.)

As you noticed, low end hollow point component bullets aren't much more expensive than corresponding FMJ or plated bullets.

The solution is obvious. If you want JHP range fodder at the price of FMJs, then roll your own. Reload them using those low end hollow points that you can order online.

I used to be able to buy WWB 115 gr. JHP in 9mm for close to the same price as their FMJ. I can't even remember the last time I saw that ammo locally.

Speer used to make their defensive loads in both "Duty" form (brass cased) Lawman branded and their "practice" form (aluminum cased) Blaser brand

Used to train with the 200gn JHP Blaser and carry the same load in the Lawman. When shooting both mixed in a mag, nobody could tell the difference. Even at 50 yds...same poa/poi.

Eghads, if there ever was a notion to switch to 9mm to avoid reloading, those prices are a mind changer.
Never mind and forget-about-it.

Onward Allusion thanks for sharing that. The Federal prices are what I'm paying for FMJ target loads. I guess my query had merit all along. There is even some 45acp JHP within a few dollars of what Im paying for FMJ around here.

g.willikers always makes me laugh:

But seriously. . .

There's only one affordable way for most of us to practice with hollow points. That's right. Load your own.

I hand load a lot with xtremebullets plated hollow point. It is for practice only, including target shooting. The ammo I keep in our emergency supply box has the real jacketed hollow point bullets. I haven't read report on the plated bullet's expansion performance, that's why.

-TL

HP's won't expand reliably at target load velocities. And a cast HP is a total waste of lead. Cast bullets expand(more like deform) when they hit anything. Plated bullets are not jacketed bullets. The plating is there to reduce the amount of lead in the air on indoor ranges. No point in a plated HP either. Velocities.
"...when I go training..." Training to do what? You should practice with the ammo you intend using for CCW. Assuming that's what you're training to do.

Practicing with the same ammo as you carry for Defense...the only reason to do that is to make sure the defensive ammo feeds in your gun.../ once you've established that the defensive ammo feeds reliably ...you don't need to shoot 600 rds of it a week for training...

I think you can determine if the defensive ammo is reliable by running 50 rds of it....

Then switch over to FMJ or whatever you want to train with....
-------
I suppose you should shoot the same spec ...that you want to carry ...so shoot 115 gr FMJ for practice ....if you want to carry 115 JHP for defense...at about the same velocity...so you can evaluate your split times between shots...but personally my split times don't vary much ...even if I practice with a 1911 in 9mm and carry a 1911 in .45 acp ( I ran drills just last week...with essentially the same gun ...one in 9mm / one in .45 acp ....and my times were almost identical to draw and 1 shot on target...and my split times to the 2nd, 3rd shot were almost identical../ and since its the same platform ( 1911's, both steel, both 5" guns...my reload times were the same too...)...

Back