Cheap Ammo Brands - Any of it good enough?

I've never had any issues with any of that ammo except PPC and Gecco. Never shot either of those but I'd guess they are problem free as well.

I use PPC 180GR SP to shoot out of my 303 British Enfield. Works really well and is cheaper than most others in that caliber. As like you I've never shot Gecco though.

Shot every one of those brands. None would be considered "cheap" as in bad. Some are slightly less expensive but definitely not cheap.

Fiocchi - Pretty much the only ammo I shoot in 9mm & 40S&W
PPU - Good for oddball calibers - runs dirty however
GECO - very good and hot ammo
CCI - best rimfire out there
Magtech - inexpensive range ammo - always goes bang
PMC - Great .223 ammo
Federal - er, you're kidding, right?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I can no go forward and buy some more inexpensive rounds and spend a little less money...or....buy more rounds for the same amount of money.

As for some of these not being considered "cheap", I didn't mean to offend! I've heard of most of these brands, but never shot any of it and don't know anyone who has. I literally loaded up gun.deals and snagged some brands that had prices much less than I'm used to paying.

I almost exclusively shoot federal, CCI, fiocchi, and even Tulammo. I've bought PMC before and never had any problems other than accuracy.

I don't think any of these brands will harm your gun, worst case they jam frequently. I suppose there's the steel case ammo argument but it seems the majority of the brands you listed are brass anyways.

Most listed are good to go...

I won't shoot Armscor due to some really hot rounds. Depends what box you get. Chrono for Armscor cheap 115 was running +P+ territory.

Those aren't cheap brands. Those are brands where you aren't paying a couple dollar premium because the name on the box.

PPU is great ammo, currently my favorite for inexpensive brass cased ammunition.

Magtech disappoints me more often than not. Their .45 Colt is just terrible.

Fiochhi is okay.

CCI, if we're talking about their aluminum cased ammo, I wouldn't shoot anything Magnum, it just seems to severely underpowered, almost down to a +P .38/.44 Special load. If you're not going to produce a magnum cartridge, but not give it the velocity, then don't make it and stick with making Specials.

The others I haven't tried

Brancasterr said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I can no go forward and buy some more inexpensive rounds and spend a little less money...or....buy more rounds for the same amount of money.
The underlined part is the key. ;)

Brancasterr said:
As for some of these not being considered "cheap", I didn't mean to offend! I've heard of most of these brands, but never shot any of it and don't know anyone who has. I literally loaded up gun.deals and snagged some brands that had prices much less than I'm used to paying.
I wouldn't sweat it. I don't think anyone here is offended, just trying to answer the question.

I grew up shooting whatever was available at Wal-Mart (no internet ordering back then). Most of my shooting was shotguns back then, but Federal was almost always available for that. There really wasn't a question of what was cheap. You just shot whatever they had. Now that I can order bulk online, I actually have to think about it.

Fiocchi
PPU
GECO
CCI
Magtech
PMC
Federal

Every brand you mention here is a major and trusted ammo manufacturer with the exception of PPU. The latter, Privi Partizan, is sometimes questionable. But they are a major Serbian manufacturer.

tipoc

Fiocchi
PPU
GECO
CCI
Magtech
PMC
Federal

PPU and GECO can't remember shooting them. CCI is decent, cheap 22 ammo. It is the low end that I shoot in the pistols and accuracy is okay as is reliability. Magtech makes 32 S&W WC match ammo that nearly shoots with Lapua from my pistols. PMC also gives you good performance for what you pay. Federal center fire is good but their low end rimfire is not so good and their match 22 costs as much as Eley but does not shoot as well in my guns. YMMV

Only cheap ammo that's given me problems was Tullammo. I use Federal a bunch and have never had an issue. CCI makes great rimfire ammo.

I shoot exclusively remanufactured ammo at the range. I just bought 3,000 rounds of 9mm this morning... $420 including shipping.

Can't beat it.

For 9mm range ammo I use 124g commercial reloads. The last batch I got was 1000 rds at around $0.18 per rd., delivered to the door. Near -0- stoppages.

For my AR15 100 ft. offhand practice, it's Rooskie Tula. The last batch of that was 1000 rds, $0.20 per rd. delivered. Zero stoppages.

Of what you have said I have tried most of those brands and had really no problem. Honestly, the only ammo brand I won't buy anymore is Winchester. I have had the worst luck with that ammo in multiple calibers in the last year and now avoid it completely. I like the Fiocchi, CCI, Federal, GECO and PMC in your list and use it often.

Might be putting my foot in my mouth here.

Just got back from the range where I had a Tulammo round of .308 burst near the rim of the cartridge and blow the extractor out of my ishapore -_-...

Always wear eye protection!

Crap, was that the 165GR Soft Points? I got a few hundred rounds of that for my Ishapore and Savage rifle?

Negative, I don't remember the weight but they were FMJ.

Let me tell you, it did not feel good. Debris back in my face and some type of cut on my arm. Not to mention the missing extractor spring :(

You could always just load your own. I haven't shot or priced a box of factory ammo in over 25 years, so I'm not sure how this compares, but give or take a few cents I'm around $5.50-$6.00 for a box of 50 in 9mm. I'm guessing that's at least half of factory prices. Plus it's a great hobby IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. I do have the time, truly enjoy doing it, and it enables me to shoot 200-300 rounds a week at a rate I can afford. Now rifle ammo I'd say the savings is nada, but the pride of producing high quality more accurate ammo still makes it worthwhile for me. Besides, for me I'm a pretty low volume shooter with my rifles.

Back