Charter arms

Danb6177

Was looking at the 4.2 inch barrel 357 mag. Its called the mag pug. I want a full size revolver not a little J frame. Used smiths and rugers are selling for 800 and up at my local stores.
This thing is 400$ on PSA. Is it worth it for a range gun? Why are they so cheap? I looked at alot of Taurus reviews and they are mixed but Charter arms owners seem to like what they have for what it is. I just dont want to regret buying it

Try doing a search. There's already much said about that company. Just like anything, people who have never owned one or shot one seem to have the strongest opinions.

I owned a CA 6 shot 38 special. It's a good value if you don't care too much about the finish and just want something to go bang. They are small and meant for concealed carry. If you want a larger handgun look elsewhere.

Try doing a search. There's already much said about that company. Just like anything, people who have never owned one or shot one seem to have the strongest opinions.

I owned a CA 6 shot 38 special. It's a good value if you don't care too much about the finish and just want something to go bang. They are small and meant for concealed carry. If you want a larger handgun look elsewhere.
Didnt find much in a search, might have done it wrong. Just typed it in under the search feature. But yeah thats basically what I want. A revolver to collect brass to reload thats not gonna fall apart. Ill get something nicer down the line. We have a gun show in Tampa this weekend. Gonna see what available before I pull the trigger on the charter arms..

What is your intended use for the revolver?

Edit to add: Sorry, I just read your post #3.

If your goal is to shoot .357 to collect brass for reloading, PSA had a couple of interesting single action revolvers that weren't very expensive.

Many years ago I had a ss tapered bbl Bulldog 44spl.
I sure wish I still had that little gun, it was perfect.

charter arms were marketed as econo guns.
they did their job.
many were sold.
many weren't fired a lot.
most were used for a bedroom gun, thus sat unused.
some that used them a lot noted theyd loosen with time.
imagine that. a gun wears?
like mentioned, it works.
mine bruised my fingers and recoiled.
back then a company called tyler offered the t-grip.
helped some.
they are still made back east.
hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yessir definitely helps. I don’t trust random online peoples opinions. Just wanted your guys because at least I know you guys actually shoot guns lol.

I used charter arms when it was made in Bridgeport/Stratford ct.
its moved around but its still being made. I pulled this off the net for you.
-----------------
Douglas McClenahan, a young gun designer who had previously worked for Colt, High Standard, and Sturm, Ruger founded Charter Arms in 1964 to produce handguns. The factory was located in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and its first revolver was a five-shot model called the "Undercover", chambered for .38 Special. McClenahan's innovation was to avoid using the side plate designs manufactured by other revolver makers for a one-piece frame, giving the new revolver a strength that allowed it to safely shoot high loads.[1] McClenahan also reduced the number of moving parts used in the gun and created a transfer bar safety device for the firing pin that would later be copied by manufacturers such as Ruger and Colt. In 1967, McClenahan's lifelong friend, David Ecker, became part-owner of Charter Arms.

Production was later moved to Stratford, Connecticut, and a few years later, in 1978, Doug McClennahan retired from Charter Arms. David Ecker became the company's sole owner and brought his son, Nick, as part-owner to replace McClenahan. In 1988, the company was purchased by Jeff Williams, who renamed it to "CHARCO" and moved production to Ansonia, Connecticut. In 1996, the company filed for bankruptcy and two years later, closed its doors. However, the Charter design and mark were resurrected two years later by Nick Ecker and two other investors, who started the company back up under the name "Charter 2000", moving operations to Shelton, Connecticut
=============
the plant is 4 miles from my home.

If I could make a suggestion:
I just picked up a new Taurus 856. (The standard stainless model and not the Ultra Lite version.)
It's a compact little revolver with 6-shots instead of the S&W J-frame 5.
Nice revolver with a good trigger out of the box.
(If my sample is any indication, I think the QC from Taurus is improving and it's an excellent value.)

If I could make a suggestion:
I just picked up a new Taurus 856. (The standard stainless model and not the Ultra Lite version.)
It's a compact little revolver with 6-shots instead of the S&W J-frame 5.
Nice revolver with a good trigger out of the box.
(If my sample is any indication, I think the QC from Taurus is improving and it's an excellent value.)
Yes I have a few Taurus semi autos and like them. I’ve considered the model 66. I have 4 or 5 I’m looking for at the gun show Sunday. One of them is coming home

I guess I should add that I did use their customer service once. My gun worked fine with the original hammer but I swapped it out for a bobbed one and I wasn't getting solid ignition. They not only sent me several main springs but the whole assembly for free.

If for some reason your CA doesn't work they will fix it.

I own a few Taurus handguns as well but owning something made in the USA still counts for something.

I like the Charter 44 special. I reload for it and have shot it quite a bit over the years. Its an amazingly accurate small revolver, and I wouldnt hesitate to take it with me anywhere.

Large frame a good thing

The lowly .22 Long rifle does much better in a frame physically larger. The S+W .22 on the K frame is quite nice to fire double action.
A .22 in "J" size frame...not so much. Not if you like shooting double action. I did an extensive fluff and buff on my Taurus Model 94, it is still quite intolerable firing double action. Better than it was new, but it still has a 13 lb.+ double action trigger. A lighter spring causes ignition issues, rimfire requires a healthy whack. The geometry improves as the frame size grows. I mostly just shoot the 94 single action. Not dissing Taurus at all, it's a geometry problem and all small frame double action .22 revolvers suffer the same fate. Make your .22 target revolver K size or shoot single action.

I have had a Charter 44 Bulldog since 1975. In ‘76, I split the cylinder with a warm handload of 8.5 grains of Unique under a 180 gr. JHP. I could very well been off on the powder charge. Charter did charge me for the cylinder but threw in a pair of rubber stocks, which were much better than the original wood handles. I also cut some coils off the main spring in an effort to lighten the DA pull, and created ignition problems. Charter did send me a new spring for free after I complained about the misfires, although I omitted my complicity in causing the problem. This was all before 1978, and ever since the Bulldog has served faithfully. Very reliable and accurate with factory ammo, Winchester Silvertips for defense carry. I have a Lee full wadcutter mold for 44 caliber that I load over a charge of AA#5 for about 825 fps that I wouldn’t hesitate to use for defense too. I also load 44 Special with blackpowder and a 200 grain bullet for CAS, which would be wicked out of the Bulldog, having the advantage of blinding the opponent, deafening him with concussion and setting him on fire.
I looked at a new Charter 45 ACP Pitbull at the NRA meetings and talked with some of their reps and I feel they’re really trying to produce a quality product.

Charter Arms makes good revolvers, I've got a 44 Bulldog and my farm carry is their 22LR Pathfinder snubnose.
My wife carries a CA Undercover 38 Special snub and is excellent with it, despite being 77 years old.

Back