Charter Arms Undercover .38 - Partial Bob on Hammer

There is a reason that highly tuned competition revolvers for speed games have bobbed hammers, and it is not just because the single action is not needed. These revolvers have lightened hammers because they can get reliable ignition with less mainspring tension than a heavier hammer requires. That's right, competition revolvers use a lighter hammer and a lighter mainspring. And these are games that do not have alibis, so reliability matters, and misfires are not being tolerated.

Of course, the hammer does need some mass to set off primers, so it is possible for the hammer to be too light. But on many stock hammers, there is more far mass than necessary. This makes sense since the factory probably uses the following criterion for hammer design: cost of machining, ergonomics, and appearance. So as long as there is more mass than necessary, I don't think it is important to them.

Anyone interested in this subject should google "carmonized hammer" to learn more about the work done by gunsmith Mike Carmoney in this area. Pretty cool stuff.

Of course, most of the real world testing on bobbed hammers has been on S&W. I am not aware of a lot of testing on the Charter Arms revolvers that are the subject of this thread. But I would be pretty surprised if trimming the spur caused a problem.

Note though, that the lighter hammers only work for centerfires. Centerfire primers like to be struck very fast, and light hammers will move fast. Rimfires need to be crushed, and it generally takes a heavier hammer and a stronger spring to do it.

I have a Charter Bulldog .44 and it has a factory bobbed hammer with serrations on for SA cocking that work just fine.

That's a Charter Arms factory "pocket hammer." They are separate entities in themselves, and can't be made from a spur hammer because the spur hammers lack the metal up top.

I've seen some bobbed CA spur hammers, and there isn't much to grab...the phrase, "accident waiting to happen" comes to mind.

There is also the legality to consider by either bobbing the hammer yourself or installing a factory bobbed one:
Your revolver has been "modified" and not how it originally came from the factory. A lawyer will have a field day with this whether in criminal or civil situations. It is called Intent.
You want a revolver with no hammer spur for carry, buy one made that way from the factory. No aftermarket springs, grips, sights, etc.
And get proficient with it as is from the box it came in.
No reloads for carry. Only factory ammo.

Adding grips that fit your hand better than the stock grips giving you greater control, adding better sights to give you an improved sight picture, and adding a bobbed hammer to only allow double action shooting WILL NOT hurt you if you are involved in a shooting. I agree on factory ammo in carry guns and not lightening trigger pulls.

Gnystrom,, I respectfully disagree, I have carried a snubby 38 Special for over 35 years, and it is second nature to me to cock it as I draw.. Of course, I have never had to use it to protect my employer......situational awareness avoids problems....
Also I practice with my revolver 4 times a week, at least, so cocking comes easy to me...

Hmmm, makes me wonder why most people never practice with their carry gun, and also don’t practice situational awareness...

Sorry, if I got carried away there.

OneFreeTexan said:
I have carried a snubby 38 Special for over 35 years, and it is second nature to me to cock it as I draw.. Of course, I have never had to use it to protect my employer...…

Just because it became second nature to you over 35 years doesn't mean it was a good practice. You never drew & cocked in a SD situation, so you have no way of knowing the outcome in a stressful situation.

MrBorland,,,,,thanks for your expert condemnation.
Umm, by the way......How many SD situations have you been in??

You also ignored my comment about ‘situational awareness’. It really works!!

Double action guns should almost always be used in D/A mode in defense situations. This has been general practice since the 1980s, at least. Many police departments had the single action sear notches removed from their revolver hammers for this reason.

I have trouble understanding the rationale behind the "no shooting a DA/SA revolver SA" stuff. I believe it comes from legal/lawyer bs.

It's just fine to shoot a SA revolver SA, but if you shoot a DA/SA revolver SA you've stepped over the line and shown "intent."

"Intent" to what? Intent to have a better chance of hitting the target? Intent to not shoot innocent bystanders? Intent to stay and shoot when you had time to run away?

In the time it took to cock the hammer and aim you could have fled the scene or taken cover; but no, you made a conscious decision to be a snub nose sniper.

I understand that that's the way it is, but I don't get it. Especially when it's just fine to use a SA semi-auto with twice the capacity.

Carmady said:
It’s just fine to shoot a SA revolver SA, but if you shoot a DA/SA revolver SA you've stepped over the line and shown "intent."

The issue is the possibility of a ND. You’re legally responsible for every round out of that revolver, so if it hits something or someone that wasn’t justified you can find yourself in some hot water.

The issue is the possibility of a ND. You’re legally responsible for every round out of that revolver, so if it hits something or someone that wasn’t justified you can find yourself in some hot water.

Wouldn't that also apply to DA?

From what I've read and heard on the internet (fwiw) I get the impression that if you shoot the bad guy SA with a DA/SA revolver you're in trouble with the law. Maybe I misunderstood.

Sure, an ND is an ND; and ND or not, SA or DA, you’re responsible for the round(s) that leave the gun. The relatively light and crisp SA trigger (and lack of a safeties like you’d find on 1911s) make an ND in a stressful situation much more likely when the hammer’s cocked, though.

For a good read on the topic, Google “Grant Cunningham The Case for DAO”.

The relatively light and crisp SA trigger (and lack of a safeties like you’d find on 1911s) make an ND in a stressful situation much more likely when the hammer’s cocked, though.

The safety is going to be clicked off as soon as you come to ready postition, so I can't see any difference between a cocked DA/SA revolver and a cocked SA 1911 in that situation.
And on this forum as well as others, there are plenty of people that carry SA revolvers and there is no difference between a cocked DA/SA than a cocked single action, yet I don't see anyone ever being chastised for carrying and using a single action revolver other than clumsy, archaic and slow to load. But never the ND argument.

Back