Charter Arms trigger sticks

Well, I'm about to get my feet wet with the Charter Arms Corporation revolvers from Stratford, CT. Will be getting a .357 Magnum Bulldog Tracker sometime next week, so wish me luck!

I really liked the bluing on it and I like that the 4 inch Charter is lighter than the 4 inch SP101 and probably has a better trigger too. Yeah, y'all will probably say that the Ruger is a "tank" and "can take full power .357 loads all day long." While all those things are true, I'm not going to be shooting full power .357 loads all day long from a K frame size revolver. If I ever am, then I either have way too much money and need a new hobby or I'm in serious trouble and will wish I brought my Glock instead.

don't settle for crap excuses. any quality revolver's trigger movement will be relatively smooth in D/A or S/A whether stroked slowly or quickly. If not, sent it back there is something wrong.

just read the follow up. yeah, cleaning a gun once in a while tends to help it work properly. I thought that was the first thing you might have did before posting the problem.

Until now it would only lock up in DA, not always, but only in DA when it did. It would never lock up in SA, always worked just fine.

But then I noticed a little slack/play in the trigger and got the idea to try it in SA while taking up the slack in the trigger. This is AFTER it locked up in DA first, then once it's acting up trying the modified SA. That's thumbing the hammer back like normal SA while pulling on the trigger just enough to feel like there's no slack. And it locked up in SA, and stayed locked up until cleared.

It's like the cylinder stop doesn't disengage the notch enough to allow the cylinder to turn, and then it pops back into the notch.

I'll send it in for repair.

Now I'm guessing that the culprit is play/wear in the trigger pin and or trigger spring bushing. It looks like that might be why it's fine in SA, but jams in DA and modified SA (SA with light pressure on the trigger).

SA operation starts with pulling the hammer back, which looks like it would push the trigger forward, and keep the trigger and cylinder stop overlapped.

DA operation starts with pulling the trigger back, which might decrease the trigger/cylinder stop overlap, and cause it to jam. That also explains why it fails in modified SA, since the trigger is moved rearward thereby compromising the trigger/cylinder stop overlap.

Just guessing. I should have it back in a couple of weeks, and see what they replaced.

Once again Charter Arms' CS smokes the big boys'.

They received it on a Monday and I got it back two Wednesdays later.

They replaced the trigger.

They also supplied me with tracking info.

Back