Charter Arms revolvers vs Taurus revolvers

Charter Arms revolvers - the current and recent versions - are amazingly solid and accurate. I have a .44 Bulldog and a .38 Off Duty snub. I have owned and carried various Smiths since the 1970's, and the CA .38 snub out shoots any of them.:cool:
I carry my CA revolvers nearly every day, keep my Smiths for dress-up.

I have owned Rossi revolvers and liked them a lot, but they are different designs from Taurus which just do not feel right to me.

Dog, Rossi existed before Taurus.. Did you ever see the Cyclops?
Cool revolver, Had a rail built into the top.. Never seen on in the shops but a guy on Taurus board had one.

I had a chance to pick up a Rossi 88 once and didn't.. regret it, Was a nice little snub nose, had great lockup, gap, timing.
Me and the dealer was fighting over 5 dollars and I walked away.. oh well :(

It depends on which Taurus. Tauruses (Tauri?) are wildly inconsistent in quality as the company went through various management changes. I had an earlier Mod. 85CH, with the smooth wood grips, that was every bit as reliable as my 642, albeit heavier. I know a retired SWAT officer who carried a Charter off duty. In both cases, I am referencing the older, all steel models. I don't know about current production.

i had both about 6 years ago as my 6 yr old son was a baby then so its been right at 6years. if i only had the two choices i would choose Charter arms, because i had a mag pug that was damaged from over loaded blazer aluminum 357 ammo, they paid for shipping both ways and i had a brand new gun as the other was unfixable in 2 weeks 3 days. the taurus was a 605 and after about a box of 357's i noticed while cleaning the star was cracked, taurus did pay shipping both ways too but it took 4 and a half months to get my gun back. they kept saying that the part had to be ordered and come from brazil. the 605 was more accurate but not a whole lot, the 605 trigger was slightly better, but the service makes the difference and of those two i choose Charter.

Pit bull .40 and also the .327 charter arms . Back in the day I bought the bull dog .44 special. No problems with charter arms,now I cannot say that about Taurus,the only Taurus that was problem free was a .480,forgot what model. 75 years old does that.

Had a Stainless Undercover Charter 38 that was undoubtedly the most accurate snub I ever shot. But had to have a S&W Model 60...go figure

I have guns from both manufacturers. In .44. The finish and trigger pull may be better on the Charter. Accuracy is equal. The Taurus guns are built a little more heavy duty. But Taurus customer service does not se ed m to be as good, although I have had no deslings with them.

My only Taurus revolver is a model 455 . It is a 5 shot , stainless steel , small framed , fixed sighted revolvcer in 45 acp. The 2 inch barrel is factory ported . It carries a lot of firepower in a small , shootable , package. Think J framed S&W in 45 acp.
I own 4 45 acp semi auto pistols, the Taurus is the most accurate of all ...it's spooky the tiny groups it shoots , I would buy a 3 or 4 inch barreled one with adjustable sights in a heartbeat. Tight tolerances , chambers , throats , barrel gap and bore ....all this adds up to the good accuracy. I have no bad things to say . Owned since 2004 and shot often .

I do not own a Charter arms so can't speak of those.
Gary

Post #7.

if I found a Taurus 445 or whatever their .44spl snubbie was I'd buy it over a Charter Arms without hesitation. same for the "J" frame sized .38s made before the built in lock.

I went to a gun show on Saturday and looked at a Charter .22 Magnum Target Pathfinder, it's a 4 inch barrel with adjustable sights.

I didn't like anything about the gun.

First, the crown on the display model was not concentric with the bore. I could tell that the gun was going to shoot low because of how offset the crown was with the bore.

I did not like the front sight. It's one with the rest of the barrel and can't be removed for something else. I didn't like the way the guns looked, they looked like something somebody put together in their garage. I didn't like the grips either.

I had been thinking about maybe getting a .45 ACP Pitbull in the future, but after seeing that horrible looking .22 Mag, I think I'm going to stay away from any Charter made the past 20 years.

TruthTellers, the C.A. guns of today do not have the same level or workmanship as they did in the 70s, that's for sure.

1st post and glad to make it here Charter Arms - loving my 44 spl bulldog. It is a new production stainless so some of the early model ills are no longer. This is my first edc revolver and holy smokes, it is awesome with hornady xtp.

Back