Charter arms boomer(44spl) vs ruger lcr(327)

I do too... But the Charter Arms Bulldog works well for that shelf gun or CC pocket gun. Just tucked away for that hopefully never needed incident. I have plenty of other .44 Specials to shoot 'frequently'. Buy a Ruger .44 Special GP-100, or .44 Special Flattop, or even some other brand if you want a gun to shoot a lot.

If I am going to carry a gun or trust my life to it as a defensive handgun, it needs to have a lifespan longer than 200 rnds of mild handloads. 200 rounds isn't even enough to become familiar with a gun, let alone proficient.

I'd go with the Charter, primarily for two reasons:
1. I like putting bigger holes in things.
2. I value my hearing.

That second one is a secondary factor to many people, since firing a handgun in a defensive encounter is going to be a problem no matter what. But, firing some of the high pressure cartridges, like .357 Mag, .327 Federal, etc., in enclosed spaces is a whole 'nother ball game. I have experienced multiple discharges in enclosed spaces, with 9mm, .44 Mag, .22 LR, 12 ga, .223 Rem, 7.62x39mm, and .357 Mag (and probably more). Depending upon the location and cartridge, it ranges from very unpleasant to deafening and almost crippling.

.327 Federal is not something that I want to experience in an enclosed space. I do, however, own a .327 LCR. So, I carry it loaded with a moderately hot .32 H&R load. Easier on the ears. Theoretically almost as effective as .327 Federal.

...But sticking with .44 Special's lower pressure means you wouldn't have to worry about it.

How set are you on weight?

If you are interested in Charter Arms, the Pitbull in .45 acp is only a few ounces more, except you get real sights. Since ammo cost is significant, .45 acp can cost almost half that of .44 special.

Just throwing that out there.

^^^
That's a good idea. Only 2 oz more, and you also get higher velocity from cheaper (and much easier to find) ammo. They have a DAO hammer that's an easy replacement for the spur hammer.

Kimber K6s. Smooth trigger, solid build, and six shots.
b9ead3b6-4210-4c42-ab23-de971d9283eb-zpslsq37qbu.jpg

How set are you on weight?
If you are interested in Charter Arms, the Pitbull in .45 acp is only a few ounces more, except you get real sights. Since ammo cost is significant, .45 acp can cost almost half that of .44 special.
Just throwing that out there.

Based on several recent reviews of Charter Arms revolvers, I've become reasonably convinced that basic factory QC has been restored by the new owners - that, and the lifetime warranty is attractive.

I'm strongly considering buying C.A.'s .41 Magnum 'Pug' for four reasons: first, it's only about a $400 gun; second, I have a 'thang' for the 'Middle Magnum' cartridge; third, the 2.5" Pug is significantly lighter than my 4" N-frame Model 58 (23 ounces vs. 41 ounces); ... and fourth, ...well, just because. ;)

One review here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrAqdLiHPw

Last edited:
considering that .41 magnum Bulldog, I wonder if the Buffalo Bore 190gr. LHP in .44 special could be fired reasonably regular in a today made .44 special Bulldog?

considering that .41 magnum Bulldog, I wonder if the Buffalo Bore 190gr. LHP in .44 special could be fired reasonably regular in a today made .44 special Bulldog?

Good question.

From the current BB website:
"This ammunition is for use in ALL 44 SPL and 44 MAG. firearms except for the Charter Arms Bull Dog. No, this ammo won't blow up your Bull Dog, but if you shoot more than a few hundred rounds of this ammo in a Bull Dog, the gun will get looser than it already was, will go out of "time" and stop working."

considering that .41 magnum Bulldog,

Taurus used to make a couple of fine, snubnosed, 5-shot capacity, s/s revolvers chambered in .41 Magnum. I have the heavier variant with a ported, 2 1/2" barrel; the model 415. It's been a reliable, accurate gun that's remarkably controllable when firing fast, repeat, double-action shots.

The LCR carries wonderfully. It feels good in hand. It gives you six shots.

Yes, .327 Federal is louder. Any small revolver is going to be very loud and worse if fired in a small enclosed space. Either choice is likely to do hearing damage. At the end of the day, how much worse will one be over the other should you survive a defensive encounter with it? (If you end up needing that sixth shot, you'll have even more hearing damage but you might be alive to complain about it.)

If the extra noise is still a deal-breaker for anyone, what if the choice was five rounds of .44 special versus six rounds of .32 H&R magnum? The .327 certainly gives you options.

From the current BB website:
"This ammunition is for use in ALL 44 SPL and 44 MAG. firearms except for the Charter Arms Bull Dog. No, this ammo won't blow up your Bull Dog, but if you shoot more than a few hundred rounds of this ammo in a Bull Dog, the gun will get looser than it already was, will go out of "time" and stop working."
LOL, seems they've had the same experiences I've had with the Bulldogs....

Get the Bulldog. This thing is amazing. I bought mine on a whim and really like it. It is very accurate with PMC 180 grn ammo (not so much with Cowboy Action Loads).

Only paid about $300 for it.

I also have a beautiful S&W 21-4 made in 2005. Too heavy to carry but a great shooter.

2eyzaeq.jpg

Trooper Joe

Based on several recent reviews of Charter Arms revolvers, I've become reasonably convinced that basic factory QC has been restored by the new owners - that, and the lifetime warranty is attractive.

I'm strongly considering buying C.A.'s .41 Magnum 'Pug' for four reasons: first, it's only about a $400 gun; second, I have a 'thang' for the 'Middle Magnum' cartridge; third, the 2.5" Pug is significantly lighter than my 4" N-frame Model 58 (23 ounces vs. 41 ounces); ... and fourth, ...well, just because. ;)

One review here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrAqdLiHPw
Snub nose 41 mag?, down load it to "41 Spl." levels and that is a nice combo, less recoil than 44 Spl. and yet still a "big bore" snub wheelgun.

I owned one of the original Charter Arms Backpackers, the gun that the "Boomer" is modeled after. It was great as a "get the hell off me" belly gun but the lack of a front sight makes it useless beyond point shooting distance. Pick something with a front sight.

HOtmBdv3g1JX0EGmOitYFSf5qPuH5Y_2WgSpo4IOCKwltZSlksnj6uNZtijm40Znw9BvxA3eeXBjqoUZCgpukrUE42ekeJu6vsLdOshuPYsHkN20UK4znA_YvOr8nTeBcC1fpJls8iCMu0dp5XkOAAGEqpP0Im3MHfUn63V4XonlNKi-4TNHsdxc4oNWS5WFyDXw5QFQzcTkM_FQOincQt4q8xCVWLuhe1TOJWTsK5PO0vSxnmVdQE4s57LxYkjCgiHvXFJj9cic5Zne8Jw3BEcxV5uvYRL9Ffh3VLqNziQzEQfO1HgVAayN1gb1BdP81i9bP5nXL7TBTjyf6m9C3Y5HxE6W1mnB7H5EUQJWorfeG2b8WFp0yrOUOezcrR752btiY6DOxYQrDSx2FlpUiIh9L_e4AXCj6dQXTXts1JPUlMLiE8WihudHsh0x509etE2ALAbFMWCJXVMl2I55y2MUcRyeeLSHdPRCbIXYODPqMNuscXqM7jpQ498rS_mPDE-OtLsYFiU6zG7TglCfiZiLi0yLpQy8lJoxahdAeEy_L838gJHA4bPdf52T4RH-Mx-F5ekwngfL8L-RC9r6OAsfCACFvH7RrQjvbpEk0FL5iDUHbBiukIms6G2ALNEgt7fzPiMYvq5v07HyI7ZbuX1qemkDUTg=w1023-h647-no

Charter sells a Crimson Trace grip for the Bulldog. I have one on my Boomer. Takes it a bit past "belly gun" distance. Biggest detriment to accuracy is the DA-only trigger.

Back