Charter Arms .44 Special Tiger

Does anyone have a revolver in .45ACP?!

I found the Smith & Wesson 325PD .45acp Airlite and the S&W Model 625 JM

Lucky for me there's a Gun Show going on this weekend and I'll be there trying everything out by hand!!
Yeah, Charter Arms makes a similar revolver in .45ACP and it does not need moon clips.

I understand the appeal of this gun. It's a big-bore that's relatively small and light. The tiger pattern looks cool. People have already raised the issues you'll face using .44 special. Yeah, you probably don't want to push the envelope with hot boutique loads either. So long as you understand and accept those limitations, .44 special is still a capable round.

As far as overall performance goes, this could be in the same ballpark as a compact semi-auto running standard-pressure .45 acp. The main difference is the form factor of a revolver.

Since this often comes up, one advantage to "big and slow" rounds like standard .44 special, .45 Colt, .45 acp, etc... over "small and fast" like .327 or .357 magnum is noise. The big and slow rounds generate less of it. When I think of a "truck gun", I think of a general purpose tool that might get fired in an enclosed cabin. Any of those rounds are going to be horrifically loud if fired in an enclosed space. If you ever are forced to do so, I suppose there may be some small consolation in having used the non-magnum round.

At the end of the day, if this gun makes you happy, go for it.

Welcome back, Steve.

If cost is a factor, you may want to consider a Charter in .38. .38 Special is approximately half the cost of .44. Charter may also chamber their revolvers in 9mm or 45 ACP; I haven't cruised their website in quite some time.

Once upon a time I had a Taurus .44 special ultralite for much the same purpose as your desire for the Bulldog. I loved that gun except for every trigger pull I would think, "70 cents downrange, 70 cents, 70 cents...."

Good luck with your search. The constant search for the perfect firearm is a big part of the joy of gun ownership.

Old old thread I see dragged up :) .

70 cents? Not if you reload. I shoot what I load and load what I shoot, The Bulldogs make fine house guns and for concealed carry. Just not for 'general' shooting. But there are many other fine revolvers like the GP100 .44 Specials, Blackhawks, and even some S&W style revolvers for the range and field carry. I am personally glad I found the .44 Special, and between it and the .45 Colt, it is all I need from the big bore family of cartridges. Recently picked up a .44 Special Cattleman SAA. It has been fun to shoot.

Back