Charter 2000 Bulldog or Taurus 650 CIA?

Eric -

My major problem with the .357 Magnum in snubbies is the blast, recoil, flash, recovery time, etc. become very significant negative factors when you move up to the .357--particularly the .357s that may expand from snubbies. I've have had the SP-101, and it's a hoot to shoot on the range, to watch the shock wave roll down and see how it effects other shooters physically, but that does not make it an effective round for the snubbies mission--in fact, most of that neat stuff on the range is contraindicated in the real world. If you want to shoot it, go ahead, it's your choice, but there are some very big negatives associated with it that to me far outway any positives.

As for energy, at the levels we are talking back, it is really insignficant (and it probably remains insignificant until you reach much higher levels than about which we are talking). The primary wounding/incapacitating mechanisms for these small revolvers remains crush cavity. Even if the the .357 does manage to expand, which will always be questionable, there's no guarantee that it will deliver a bigger crush cavity than the .44 Special--don't forget it has to expand to approximately 140% of its original size to create the same frontal area with which the .44 Special begins (and the lower velocity out of snub will definitely be a deterence to full expansion). The unarguable bottom line is than from a two-inch barrel, the .357 might expand--the .44 Special will not shrink.

But again, my primary objection the .357 is tremendous loss in tactical efficiency to possibly gain a very slight edge in terminal effectiveness. I can put five .44 Specials center of mass (and tighter) than I could even think about doing with a hot .357 load--and I think that holds true for most shooters.

juliet,
Excellent point and I agree with you most shooters, given the chance to get used to both snubbies, would do better with the 44. Maybe, me too.

I do well with my snubbie at close distances and feel confident in my gun etc.....Given its use as a back up for my primary carry, I feel its fine for me...just me.

I like the combination of the smaller frame, cylinder width and weight..tied togethor with the 357 round.

I'm not trying to convince anyone I am right or my word is gospell..just thats whats right for me. I think the combo is hard to beat.

Thanks for the POV and Shoot well

Eric -

I know. The .357 Magnum and SP101 is a seductive combination--way too much fun and potential, and I carried that combination in an Alessi Talon for a long time.

My "change of heart" about the combination as a carry gun came about when a situation developed that had the potential for me having to use it in the cab of pickup with my three year old grandson in a car seat beside me. That got me to thinking what would really happen if I had to use it with me sitting in my truck and the bad guy outside--I could see a real potential for ruptured eardrums and major disorientation. If the bad guy did not go down, I am not sure I would be able to do anything more. Then I looked at my planned home defense scenario with me at the top of a mostly enclosed stairwell and the "trigger" to my response being the bottom step. While probably not has devastating as shooting inside a car or pickup truck, I was not really sure how effective I would be after a round or two.

I would never tell anybody not carry that combination. It is potent, fun, and in my case anyway, an incredibly accurate combination, but I would urge a good analysis of potential real-world usage with an eye to possibly having to use it in a small enclosed space (even a small room, like a bedroom or a vestibule).

What do you think about suggesting that anyone who is considering carrying full-power .357 Magnum ammo in a snubbie as a primary defensive weapon (either as a private citizen or off-duty LEO) fire a round or two in an open area without hearing protection so they will have some idea what they are in for if they ever have to use it for real? It would certainly make for a more informed decision.

When the hot Tucson summers don't allow me to effectively conceal my full size semi-autos, I carry a taurus M85, 2 inch 38 special. This is a 1997 vintage steel body that points well for 5 rapid fire double action shots to center mass at 30 feet. It is the closest I found to the size and feel of a S&W J frame or Colt Detective Special with good performance, and value

Combined with a kydex IWB tuckable holster I am ready for the shorts and t-shirt weather.

I have handled Charter arms, taurus and rossi (rossi is now owned by taurus and carries same lifetime gaurantee) and felt the taurus was tighter and better fit and finish. points and shoots well, cleans well and is gauranteed for life.

I would trade it in on a +p cia but I like it too much to let it go and these older steel bodies can take the +p as long as you don't feed them a steady diet. So I range shoot the standard loads and carry the +p for pers protection.

I don't have any experience with the Charter, but I just picked up my new 650 CIA after work today. I didn't get a chance to shoot it yet, but judging by appearance I'm very happy with it. The fit and finish seem very good and it comes in a very nice lockable plastic case instead of the usual Taurus cardboard box. I had the chance to compare the 650 and the 850 (38) side by side today. They look virtually identical in size (possibly a 1/10in difference and not noticable to the eye). It appears to be a very nice revo and also one of the smallest 357's I've seen. I'll post again after my first range session.

Back