Charging Bear Odds

I believe Grizzly Bears are Brown Bears but not all Brown Bears are Grizzly's

I also believe that with all modern revolvers there is no reason to leave one chamber dry. That is an Old West safety precaution that no longer applies because of the transfer bar safety and others.

.357 would not be my first choise for a Grizzly handgun but it would work well.
I would shoot as fast as I could accurately. At 40 yards you might have only 3 seconds to draw and fire. You should be able to get 2 or 3 shots off if it is still coming fast you probably need to take careful aim and shoot one time and then run.

Hold on to the gun because it the bear catches you, you can still possibly do a contact shot to the chest or better yet head. People who say "save one round for yourself are either joking or stupid. I would shoot the gun dry then try a knife or beat the bear in the head with the gun. Never give up!

Try this. Get dressed in your hunting clothes, pack and all. Go out to the range, and stop about 300 yards from your target. Now, to get your heart rate up to, "I've been jumped by a bear", run like the blue blazes toward your target, and when you get within 40 yards, draw and fire and hit the 8" pie plate 3 out of six. Yeah, right. The fact is, that this is not a hunting situation, it is strictly self defense. When the heart rate jumps to about a gazillion, and you are on the verge of soiling your didee, bears do that, you will not be accurate enough to stop a charging bear in time to avoid getting seriously hurt. If bear hunting was easy, everyone would do it.
So, use the old gunfight rule, which is, "The best way to survive a gunfight is to avoid a gunfight". If you're hiking, make noise. If you're hunting, take your chances along with the rest of us, but exercise normal care and caution. Been in the woods along wth Black Bears for over 35 years, and have never had a problem. Yet. One never knows.
Y.D.

Hmm... well, a fairly normal human being will: 1) Run instantly, or 2)Shoot and then run.
That means that I'd have to take option 3) Drop any excess baggage - everything but the gun - shouldn't take long. Then take out the gun and charge the bear - blowing bagpipes if you have them (more shock value than anything short of a daisy cutter). If not, fire a shot or two on the run. If it stops or stands up to receive you, stop and shoot. If it keeps coming, keep two shots ready at least. Jump over the bear and shoot it in the back. If it starts to stand up as you reach it - within five feet or so, one shot to the upper torso (the bear's upper torso - they got 'em, don't they?) and slide under its legs, to shoot at point-blank range the spinal cord (pretty sure they've got that).
That's a hypothetical, answerable with another hypothetical - that I'm faster in reaction time, etc. than the bear. Which is why I'll be toting a military surplus rifle, prob. with a bayonet, when dallying across bear country. That or an armed guard - a really cheap one.

It seems there is nothing to be done... :(

I wonder if it would help to stuff the gun in the sow's mouth and pull the trigger as many times as possible before she bites your hand off. :p

I think I would just dirty my pants and hope she thinks I stink too bad to eat me. :o

But, first, I'd empty the gun into her shoulder bone... and then die...
of a heart attack! :D

P.S. All Brown Bears are Grizzlies... same species. The biggest ones are on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Hence; Kodiak Brown Bears.

All Black Bears are not black... some are reddish or tannish or blondish and many are BROWN. These are all still Black Bears. :confused:

Back