Character or beauty: Heinz 57 Mauser

I have been gunsmithing for 35+ years now, and scopes are so much better now than they were even back in the 1980s when I started that I tell people just the opposite. Forget about iron sights, spend that extra money on a good scope and don't even worry about it. Good quality scope failure is so rare now that even so-so brands offer a lifetime warranty because they know they will rarely if ever have to honor it.
Nope, wrongo. :rolleyes:

Scopes fail in the field every year. Iron-sights, properly zeroed, are cheap insurance to save the hunt.

No hunter ever stopped their hunt to call up Leupold (or whoever) for immediate warranty service on their optic because it fogged-up, failed, or broke after Bubba dropped his rifle from the tree stand. They either revert to the iron-sights or go to a second rifle.

I got the action fitted to the stock; very easy this time. You Remington 700 owners, one area in which Richards does not leave clearance is the little bolt removal lever. That's a minor PITA, but a little work with a small chisel took care of it. Once I had that done, the only tight place was the area adjacent to the recoil lug (as it should be). A little, and I mean 15 minutes, work with a round rasp, and I'm in business. With the action screws snug, I can slide a piece of paper most of the barrel length. A little epoxy on the recoil lug might help, but for now I will stand pat and see how she shoots.

I should note that, while I'm happy to share my experience with the forum, I only have one person to please. And...I don't argue with Scorch.

Here is the finished product. One surprise: I knew Claro walnut has a dramatic grain, as I used it for my very first stock project. But I did not know that it has a "tiger stripe" figure, which only came out in this higher grade example at final sanding and especially when I applied the first coat of Tru Oil.

Attachments

• Rem700FinStock1.jpg
    Rem700FinStock1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Rem700FinStock2.jpg
    Rem700FinStock2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 20
Back